“It was comfortable and nice” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Taipei, Taiwan
“It was comfortable and nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

I like this hotel. It's large with the first glance, and it is actually really amazing there.

I used my points for a night stay there. They offers good free spa for whole day for their member.

The room is large and look pretty new for me. Also, I like how it designed to have a patio outside to see the nice nightview of the highway, further buildings, and hotel facilities. I like it so much. It is definitely a 5star experience for a spa resort hotel.

I will come back if I have points or more money later in my life to enjojy =)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ypwalter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at the JW Marriott in November 2011. I was traveling for business and they came along to enjoy the weather and property. I'll break down the main categories.

Rooms: The rooms are fabulous, tastfully furnished and spacious. There was plenty of room for us to sprawl with all of the baby gear and we didn't feel like we were cramming a crib into a corner. The crib provided by the hotel was modern and felt pretty safe. The bathrooms were enormous and our daughter enjoyed a few 'swims' during our stay.

Dining: The food at the hotel is terrific. Starbucks was a morning staple, and convenient for most rooms. The bars and restaurants have great happy hours and we enjoyed some early drinks most nights in the warm fall evenings. We had dinner at Blue Sage twice and it was delicious both times. The prices are reasonable and quiality high. The sushi at Roy's was a big disappointment - but drinks were delicious. My husband also ate at the Vista Lounge for a burger and it was great. Throughout the business meetings the catered food was also amazing, especially the breakfasts!!

Location: You are in North Scottsdale so it's a bit of a drive to get to any main attractions. We took an ATV over to Fountain Hills and into the Saguargo National Park, which was really cool to see. I'd highly recommend one of these trips - ours was organized through Expedia's Destination Services. If you're looking for shopping, drive ~20 minutes south to Scottsdale Fashion Square or head over to Kierland Commons (~15 minutes). You'll find every shop imaginable between these spots.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Krista N
Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

Thanks to the atmosphere and accommodations, I could tolerate the conference. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean coupled with great nightly entertainment ~ who could ask for more.
My plan is to return and get an opportunity to see some of the sights off the resort. Had a great time and looking forward to my return trip.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed 12/8-11 and I don't know that I've ever had the extra special attention like I did at JW's Desert Ridge. We ate at all three restaurants and whether it was a well timed refill, a perfect suggestion or an incredibly gracious staff everything was beyond special. The same thing can be said at the front desk, especially when it came to making sure I was completely satisfied with the room and all the other amenities. If you want to golf the course crew was phenomenal at working with T-Times and accommodating last minute changes. Everyone at the shoppes were a delight as well.

Lastly the value was incredible. The "fling and swing" program was easily the best 5 star value in town.

So how good was it? I get to find out again when I come back later on this month!

Room Tip: The higher better for an unobstructed view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank mitchboyle
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

I've stayed at the JW marriott in phoenix twice, and have a third time planned for business reasons. The property is nice - don't get me wrong, though it doesn't have a 5-star feeling, most likely due to it's immense size. If you are attending for a conference, be prepared to walk, and quite a distance sometimes. If it's the wrong month, you can stay inside for your journey, but it could be quite a distance from the furthest rooms to the convention portion of the property.
The surroundings aren't especially beautiful, there's a rather large construction project within close proximity that you'll be staring at if you're in some rooms. Also it's worth noting that I found the sheets on my bed to feel very scratchy (as if they had too much starch), and both myself and my colleagues felt the towels felt more like sandpaper than something you'd want to rub against your skin.
In terms of food, the italian restaurant on property is nice and the food is quite good - I especially love their sausage pizza (ask them to put eggs on it). The roy's in the lobby gives the property somewhat of a "commerical" feel that I don't especially appreciate.

All-in-all, the JW at Desert Ridge is a nice property, though when you compare it to other JWs that I've been to, it lacks some pizazz and panache.

Room Tip: Ask for one that faces the main driveway... sounds odd, but I found it to have a nice view myself. T...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PlatinumStrider
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I escaped a recent Rocky Mountain blizzard by spending a long weekend at the JW Desert Ridge Resort. Upon arrival, the lobby and grounds were a beautiful invitation to a relaxing weekend of luxury. At check in we had a delightful trainee who gave us an efficient and warm reception. Our room had a nice but somewhat obstructed view of the pool area and distant mountains. We used the small balcony frequently during our stay. The room itself was nicely appointed and the bath had both a shower and tub (although the tub was nothing special, the shower was delightfully invigorating).

The grounds and facilities were impeccable during our entire stay. We enjoyed the expansive pool area (which was not at all crowded in this off season time) and hot tubs, and soaked in a bit of sun during the afternoon. We enjoyed a dinner at the Blue Sage the night we arrived, and at Roy's another evening and an afternoon of treatment at the Revive Spa on site (all reviewed separately). Throughout our stay the staff was delightful and professional.

There are also a number of other off site restaurant options just a mile or less away, but we enjoyed staying on site for most of our meals. The location is on the far north side of town, but we enjoyed being a bit out of the way. We also took a day trip to Sedona (which was beautiful but very touristy in town).

When some rowdy neighbors disturbed the peace Saturday evening, the whole incident was handled quickly and effectively by the staff. Nikki, the front desk manager, made up for the trouble the next day and we appreciate her efforts.

Overall, it was a relaxing time at a beautiful resort. This is what a JW is all about.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 5th and 6th floors have a nicer view, and rooms farther away from the central build...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank brewski59
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I splurged for this weekend getaway and it was worth it! The service was incredible, the food and drinks sublime. I only regret having to go back to reality and not being able to stay longer. Don't waste too much money on the breakfast buffet. (There is a Mimi's across the street.) Instead, have Prickly Pear Margaritas and chips/guac/salsa by one of the many pools. After your nap, golf game, or spa treatment try dinner at Blue Sage. The Chicken Pot Pie was incredible.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nlthevenot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#12 of 174 in Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!