JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Chicago suburbs
“Very nice.”
Reviewed December 13, 2007

This is a very nice resort. The rooms are clean and well appointed, the staff very curteous, and the outdoor surroundings are beautiful and serene.

I tagged along with my husband while he attended conference meetings.
It was a little too cool to swim, but the pool is gorgeous and appears
to be well kept. There are lots of pleasant spots where you can sit and relax with a book and a snack. The walking/running paths are great! I attended a watercolor workshop that the hotel offers.. Wow, what a great experience. The watercolorist was a great teacher and wonderful artist!

I heard from other guests that the costs of the spa treatments was a little steep. But, hey, when you are on vacation..

I ate at the breakfast buffet one morning and I didn't think it was worth the $$. It was good, but I have had much better breakfast buffets for much less. There are a lot of nice places to eat off property for breakfast....

Overall, I think it's a very nice place to stay. I would go there again.

• Liked — Very relaxing atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Expensive food choices
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank goanna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
Natick, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 12, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott Desert Ridge in mid-November. Upon arrival, we checked in and were given a room on the 6th floor overlooking the botanical gardens, golf course and distant mountains. There was a small table and two chairs on the balcony.

The room was clean and we had plenty of towels for our use. The shower stall tiles were a bit slippery and uneven. The beds were comfy and we had our choice of four pillows, two each of foam and feather.

The ice machine was down the hall in an enclosed area and the free laundy (including detergent) was on the 4th floor.

The only suggestion I would have is a screen for the sliding glass door. Coming from New England, I would have loved to keep the screen door closed and let the desert breeze in during the night.

Staff in both the shops and restaurants were accommodating and gracious. The buffet breakfast is very expensive but there is a good variety. Lunch was busy but not a long wait - about 20 minutes. I put my name in coming back from the pool and went up to the room to change. When I came back, my table was waiting.

Note there is a mall around the corner from this property and the hotel offers a free shuttle bus. There are restaurants, grocery store and a CVS there. Stock up on snacks and soda at these stores. We bought a case of water at CVS for the cost of a bottle at the Marriott.

The grounds are beautiful and the lazy river was relaxing. I didn't have time to try the other pools but there were only a few people in one of the four other pools.

The lobby area throughout the day and night was very busy and the the downstairs lobby bar area was very noisy in the evening. As mentioned in previous reviews, this hotel caters to a lot of meetings and conventions. However, every staff member greeted us with a smile. The concierge gave us great maps - better than Hertz. There is an onsite Hertz rental car service at the hotel which we used. Book ahead of time and be prepared to wait to get your car - it was about 30-40 minutes for us to get the keys for the vehicle.

Would I stay there again - maybe. Nothing wrong with this hotel but I've stayed at other properties in Phoenix/Scottsdale which I felt had better amenities for about the same cost.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — Very loud lobby bar
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Midnite13
Riverdale, GA
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Loved it! This was one of the best resorts I've ever stayed at. The rooms are wonderfull, but the views are breathtaking. I especially enjoyed all of the water features scattered around the property.
There is enough to do that you could stay on the property your entire trip. The local area has lots of attractions nearby. Everything from hiking to shopping to gambling.
We had great cocktails and sushi at Roy's, even if they are a little pricey. I would highly reccomend this resort!

• Liked — The location and desert views
  • Disliked — It is a little expensive
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Last weekend I spent two nights at the Desert Ridge. It was an excellent choice for a getaway golf weekend with friends. We spent the first day hitting Dave and Busters--- a billiard, game, bowling and bar across the way due to the rain.

Cons:The hotel was huge, far larger than my impression. Hotel valet parking was a shocker, $24 per nite. We used the free self park and it only took 3 minutes to walk to. They were tearing up sod in the central viewing area for some reason. The hotel hallway was damp with rug cleaners and blowers working, not sure why but it was cleared out the next day.

Pros: Great choice of dining on site, but make reservations ahead. The gym was small but well equipped, sort of out of the way near the pool. It also did not have a connecting rest room, which was rather odd. The lobby is impressive and it was decked out in holiday decor. Spa on site, but I did not use it.
Dinner was at Roy's at the hotel, very good service and food.
Breakfast at Blue Sage was excellent, though pricey.

We golfed at Wildfire, a Palmer designed course. It was fabulous fro 18 holes and my friend from back east enjoyed it. Going with afternoon rates and a hotel dscount was a bonus.

• Liked — Location and golf courses. Across the street from several restaurants and shops.
  • Disliked — Distance from the airport. Very large business conference site.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank chuckawala
Richmond, VA, USA
Reviewed December 3, 2007

We were there for a professional meeting. We were impressed by the friendliness of the helpful staff throughout the hotel that provided us with a very enjoyable stay.

We didn't have time to take part in any of the resort activities so we can't comment on them.

• Liked — The friendly & helpful staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed November 27, 2007

We had a lovely suite with for our family (including two young children) just after Thanksgiving. The grounds and facilities are absolutely beautiful and well maintained. The bedding was about the most comfortable I've ever had at a hotel, with feather pillows & duvets on the beds (and the murphy bed in the living room!). All food outlets provided outstanding food and service. Restaurants reviewed separately, although we visited all restaurants in the hotel, plus room service (which was fairly quick and yummy also).

Lots of organized activities over a holiday weekend. Our six and three year old girls participated in a morning storytime with a sweet "Mother Goose" storyteller, complete with balloon animals and sweet treats. Really a highlight of our stay.

Even though we stayed during the first "cold" (under 70 degree) weekend of the year, we enjoyed the pool. It was gorgeous, and the kids really enjoyed all of the wildlife that came to enjoy the environment too (bunnies, roadrunners, quail).

Spa was wonderful too. Had a pretty average reflexology treatment, and a wonderful massage as part of a pretty nice (but short on lavender) Lavender body treatment. It was too bad that I could hear cars honking outside the treament room. Otherwise a lovely experience. Highly recommend!

• Liked — Very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Excess noise in spa treatment room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank chantiebelle
nyc
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Came out to Desert Ridge with my dad for a week of R&R, golf, biking, exploring, relaxing, etc...

Have to say this is a wonderful resort. Beautiful facade, lobby, hallways, guestrooms and the wonderfully comfortable Marriott Revive bed. Overall place has a very upscale, stylish, new look and feeling.

Have to say though that the location may be a minus. This is the extreme far north of Phoenix and about 30 mins from Camelback Road, downtown Scottsdale, and downtown Phoenix. It's more of an escape. Played the Faldo course at Wildfire which was wonderful and rented bikes from the hotel and biked up north to Cave Creek and than around some of the suburban neighborhoods.

Two of the restaurants, Blue Sage and the Marketplace were closed for renovation when we where there, but I did enjoy some drinks and appetizers at Vista Lounge in the lobby.

A+ place.

Loved it!

Stayed December 2005
5 Thank gahlisary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#12 of 175 in Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!