“Perfect relaxation location!”

Ranked #7 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan
“Perfect relaxation location!”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My husband and I picked the JW Marriott Desert Ridge for our 30th Anniversary as a get away from the cold. We spent two prior days renting a car and touring Sedona and the Grand Canyon so we now wanted to finish four nights just relaxing. There is a Hertz on property, so we returned our car here. This property is wonderful. It is a huge resort which offers something for everyone. There are several pools with plenty of lounge chairs, this was peak season. The Marriott issued wrist bands each day when entering the pool to keep this for guests only. It was crowded but we never had a problem finding a spot, there is ample shade areas as well. The grounds are kept immaculate! There are several ponds and sitting areas, at night they have bond fires going all over. We ate at the pool side restaurant a few times during the day, very good, delicious smoothies. We enjoyed Tuscany, the Italian restaurant along with Roy's Hawaiian fusion for dinner, both very good. Our last night we ate at the Steakhouse, Meritage. A little pricey but delicious, best "Cowboy Steak" we've both had. There is also a large shopping area/restaurants across from the Marriott complex which is a short ten minute walk. Our room was perfect, very comfortable. The hotel property is beautiful inside and out, we would definitely recommend this and hope to return. Very friendly and helpful staff, fun place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We have stayed at many hotels in the Phoenix area over the years. To date, this resort is the best overall value for the price paid. This was our second visit at this resort. The JW Marriott Desert Ridge is a beautiful, expansive, immaculately maintained property with a number of restaurants, bars, Starbucks, etc. Quick and easy check-in. I had booked two rooms, and at check-in requested that these be as close to each other as possible, hopefully in the same hallway, as we were traveling with my elderly parents. We were given side by side rooms. The rooms were perfect and very clean, comfortable bedding with great pillows, pleasing decor, balcony, separate stone tile shower and soaking tub, flat screen t.v., loveseat, desk and reading chair, nice coffee and tea service, robes, all the amenities you would expect were there. The grounds are beautiful with many flowers and plants. There were many families and lots of people in the lazy river and pool area. There is also a separate pool that appears to be adults only. We saw many bunnies on the grass and a few ducks, thought it really added to the relaxing feel of the resort. We had dinner at Roy's (adjacent to the pool area). The food and service were superb, and I highly recommend reserving an outside table. There is free self-parking and a pleasant walkway to our rooms from the parking lot; it was not too far of a walk like some resorts.

I don't know how the management does it, but EVERY single staff member we encountered (even those who were off duty) was courteous, friendly, and eager to help in any way. Many resorts are luxurious and well appointed, but the service at this property puts it over the top. I should also mention that the location is great with many restaurants nearby such as Mimi's, Tommy Bahamas, Macaroni Grill and even an In and Out Burger for the kids. There is also a huge open air mall across the street with many stores. The resort is conveniently right off the expressway so easy to hop on and get around town.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge and feel that I need to share my opinion. I live in Northern Arizona and make frequent trips down to Phoenix and like to try out different hotels. This time I was with my two boys ages 13 and 11. I chose this hotel because of the location and reputation as a first class resort. My family and I were extremely disappointed with our stay. The JW Marriott is beautiful and well maintained but the service in the restaurants was just awful. I have to say that the service in the Lobby Bar/Patio was especially dreadful. Yes, this was Spring Break time and the resort was fairly busy. At no time, however, did the waiters make any effort to acknowledge our presence when we were waiting to order or check to see how our food was when it was finally delivered. I certainly expected more from a hotel of this caliber. Next time I will choose another hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank HighCountryAZ
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Just checked out today. This was one of the nicest hotels I've visited. The food was simply delicious from all four restaurants I tried, staff was wonderful, and the rooms are modern and luxurious. The reason I am rating the room and value low is simply this. On my third and last evening at the JW Desert Ridge, I was awoken and shaken at midnight by extremely loud clanging outside my room. I looked over my balcony to see trucks unloading. It was so very loud and continued non stop until 1:45 AM. As I was traveling on business it really affected my last day due to the lack of sleep. For a property this expensive and this luxurious I found this completely unacceptable. I've had a quieter more peaceful night of sleep at a Days Inn. I would still recommend this hotel, but visitors should definitely ask that your room does not overlook the same area as the 3500 room block.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Tafurita85
Flower Mound, TX
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott Desert Ridge for 5 nights in March 2011 for an awards conference. The hotel was very beautiful however the service was not so good. When we arrived at the hotel our room was ready and waiting for us. I went to check in while my husband parked our rental car, before leaving the bags he asked the bell hop to take the bags to our room and his golf clubs to the golf course. When I checked in the bell hop brought all the bags including his golf clubs to our room, he had to carry his clubs himself to the golf course which is walking distance but not very conveniently located to the hotel.

On our second day we showered in the morning and then needed to shower again before dinner, we only had two towel sets so I called for more towels as I got in the shower and my husband was going to bring them in to me when they arrived. He called back after I had gotten out of the shower and dried off with a hand towel and asked for more towels.....they never came and he also had to use a hand towel. That night when we returned from dinner I called and complained that we had already called twice for towels and they never came, they were finally delivered in about 45 minutes.

There were several days that I went to the pool and came back after lunch and our room had not been cleaned yet.

The spa on the other hand was great, I had a massage and a facial and loved them both. Excellent service in the spa.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MomtoPDandL
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed at the JW Desert Ridge for a girls' getaway weekend. We wanted a place where we could have maximum time to catch up, a fabulous spa, and some hiking. We also wanted to be somewhere where we would not have to leave the property. We found almost everything we were looking for at the JW Desert Ridge. We got a spa package that allowed us to stay at a very reasonable price and included spa treatments, breakfast, and discounts in some of the shops.

We had a bit of trouble with check-in, and had to spend some time correcting our bill -- the reason for the four stars for service. Otherwise, all of the staff was wonderful and accommodating.

The spa was perfect. The poolside Spa Bistro served delicious and health-conscious meals, the spa staff was attentive, and the spa spaces were well-stocked and very clean. We were all very pleased with our treatments, from facials to massages, to mani/pedis.

We enjoyed our meals at Roy's so much, we dined there a second night, as well! Dining outdoors the second night (accompanied by live music) made for a different experience. Breakfast at the Blue Sage was also great -- the breakfast buffet had a great variety and very good quality.

The only disappointment was not necessarily the fault of the resort. We saw on the website that there were several walking trails available, and expected some scenic hiking available. The trails are all sidewalks through developing retail areas along relatively busy streets, except for a short half-mile through the resort that was unmarked -- we ended up on a maintenance road and the golf cart trail.

We are planning to schedule a similar trip every few years, and would definitely consider coming back to this resort.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1971momof2
Cheshire, Ct
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Excellent hotel for a business or leisure trip. Rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is extremely helpful and hospitable. Lobby area, restaurants and outside areas are immaculate and appealing. I was here for a week for a work related event. Never had an issue with internet connection and found that the gym is one of the best and biggest ones that I have seen at a hotel - there are at least 8 treadmills and a full weight circuit. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!