“This hotel smells nice”

Common area: clean
Receptionists: friendly and helpful
Breakfast: good
Swimming pool: good
Note for people going to see baseball:
If you are thinking of taking a taxi back to the hotel, the taxis standing in a queue by the feild will not take you back to the hotel. It is short ride and they prefer taking longer distance customers after being in the queue for 2-3hrs. You can keep a business card of the driver took you from the hotel and call the driver to pick you up or walk.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Cinnamonuts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hotel is located in dowtown - walking distance to everything. Front desk was friendly and accommodating. Room was very clean and spacious. Will stay again whenever I travel back to Phoenix.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ctvegasgirl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice comfortable stay downtown. Walk to ball games.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank tnpbry
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed in this holiday inn for four nights for a business trip. I had a very pleasant stay due to the following:
Proximity to downtown
Walking distance to a variety of restaurants and shopping places
About 3 miles from the main airport
Great service a particular thanks to Elaine at the front desk and the "always smiling and happy" Yadina at the breakfast area. Even the manager makes it a point to ask if everything is ok.
My room was clean, spacious with a small fridge, and large flat TV.
The pool was clean with plenty of towels ; it also has a nice jacuzzi area.
One comment i would like to make to the manager is to add more healthy breakfast choices such as fruits and oatmeal.
Overall it was an excellent experience. I will stay again at this hotel on my next trip.

Room Tip: All room are equally good and quiet. You can save some money if you dont need a suite. My standard...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank 52Overtherainbow
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stayed here for a month, as I was doing an internship at a nearby TV network.
I had the pleasure of staying in the King Executive Suite and it was superb!
A beautiful, clean, tidy room and a huge amount of space! The room was equipped with a fridge, microwave and plates, cutlery and cups - of which were replaced daily.
The bathroom was spotless, and the jacuzzi option on the bath tub was a treat!
TV choices were great, especially considering i'm from the UK and was worried about missing home TV! But there were plenty of choices to choose from.

The hotel interior is lovely, and staff were always polite and welcoming upon entering and leaving the hotel - both receptionists and cleaners.
Pool area was nice, and the perfect spot to head to after a days work. It was never busy during my time there which was a bonus.
The breakfast bar had a good amount of choice, not the full works but enough to get your day off to a good start. The hot food varied on a day to day basis, choices ranging from bacon, scrambled eggs, omelettes, sausages and biscuits and gravy. Other options included bagels, pastries, toast, yoghurts and fresh fruit. And the usual drink assortment of tea, coffee, orange and apple juice, milk and water.

All in all, the hotel is a great choice. It is in a great location, very close to downtown and what it has to offer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kate S
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

I really liked this place. Like all hotels It has it's pro's and con's which I'll try to list, but I think this was a great choice.

Pro's
3 to 5 blocks to the heart of Downtown. Great alternative hotle for those meetings at the Sheraton or Hyatt.
Nice Pool and Jacuzzi area.
Rooms are clean and have plenty of room. Fridge and Microwave in each room.
Decent free breakfast. The regular HIE fare, but the hostess keeps it freah and clean.
Convenient to Ceiy Center Mall area. Several good restaurants in City Center.
A few neat/unique place north of the Hotel too.

Cons
The hotel is over priced for what you get. The hotel keeps prices close to the Hyatt, Sheraton, Hilton $$ range. They get it because they keep the place neat, tidy and supply a free breakfast and have free parking.

No managers welcome package.

No beer/wine available at the hotel or take-out nearby. I usually stay at an HIE or Staybridge so I can have a glass of wine and cigar at the pool in the evenings.

Room Tip: Try the Bliss Rebar restaurant 2 blocks away for a unique cocktail and dinner. I loved their Arugala...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank irloyal
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. It is a very nice facility. The rooms are extremely clean and very pretty. The lobby is also very nice. A free continental breakfast is available and the menu was not exactly the same the two mornings that I was at the hotel. My biggest complaint was the customer service upon checking into the hotel. It was around 10 o'clock at night when we checked in. Our reservations had been made several weeks prior to our visit and I had confirmed all of our arrangements. When we arrived, there was one person ahead of checking in and only one clerk available to assist everyone. That wasn't a problem, it was kind of late at night and it made sense that there wouldn't be a whole lot of people around to help. When our turn came, I gave the clerk our information. Originally we were supposed to only stay one night and at the last minute we had to add on another night so we had two confirmation numbers. I explained this to the clerk and she insisted that they only had a reservation for one night. She became really snippy with me and kept insisting that there wasn't a second night reserved for us. I reiterated that I had two confirmation numbers two more times. On the third time she finally listened to what I had been telling her. Then she asked for my credit card to keep on file. I understand that this is standard procedure in any hotel in case that any extra charges are made to the room. I explained that our room was being paid for by an outside company and that they had already provided a credit card and I had been told that I wouldn't need to provide one again. She insisted and became snippy with me a second time. In the interest of time I handed over my credit card. She told me that it wasn't a credit card that it was a debit card and I explained again that it was a credit card (that's why the Visa logo is on the card) and she became even snippier. Finally we had our key and were on our way up to the room. Upon entering the room I discovered another problem. We were supposed to have a room with two queen beds as I was traveling with my father. During the check in process I was never told that we had been "upgraded" to a room with a king bed. We needed a room with two beds so as tired as we were headed back down to the lobby to change rooms. Someone else had arrived so we had to wait again. Finally our turn came and we were told that there weren't any other rooms available, the hotel was full. I don't understand, our reservation was for a room with two beds...what happened to our room? I had printed out our reservation and it clearly stated that we had a room with two beds. Why was it changed? She couldn't explain why and at that point it didn't really matter as there wasn't another room available for us. She said that all she could do was offer a roll away bed. We didn't have a choice so we accepted her offer. The kicker was that she said it would take her some time to get it to us as she was the only one on duty. It was now about 10:45 at night. We went back to the room and within 15-20 minutes the roll away bed was delivered. Luckily, it fit in the room. I never raised my voice and I didn't lower myself to her standards and become snippy with her as she had become with me on several occasions that night, but she could tell I was upset because about 5 minutes after the bed was delivered she was back with a "treat" bag. The bag contained chips, cookies, and water. That was nice of her and unnecessary as I am assuming that room mix up wasn't exactly her fault. The roll away bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable. The next day we were switched to a suite with two beds and the staff that we interacted with was much nicer and super friendly. That first night put a really bad taste in my mouth though. I know that I was tired from traveling, but honestly, there is no reason to get snippy with your guests especially when they haven't done anything to you. I'm not sure if I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Drinab
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Drinab,

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J