“Good Food and Great Laughs”
Review of Stand Up Live

Stand Up Live
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Good Food and Great Laughs”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Phoenix Arizona, the best and brightest in comedy gather at Stand Up Live Comedy Theater. Drew Carey, Kevin Smith, Rex Navararette, Joe McHale, Chris Hardwick, and Wayne Brady are just a few of the extremely impressive of comedy headliners that have graced the facility recently. There is more to the venue than just the biggest names in comedy, as the facility offers top-notch food and beverage service for a one-stop entertainment destination.

The spacious club offers very comfortable accommodations that can handle everything from an intimate table for couples to large groups and private booth areas. The menu was impressive and offered shareable fare like wings, nachos, fries, and jumbo fried shrimp. Hungrier guests may enjoy Southwest favorites like quesadillas and tacos, sliders or burgers. Heartier options include steak sandwiches, pasta and grilled salmon, while the health-conscious also have the option of salads. For those who can’t decide, the theater offers combos titled Emcee, Feature or Headliner. We picked the Headliner and enjoyed a chicken quesadilla, mac ‘n cheese and cheeseburger sliders.

Items on the menu range between $7-$19. The club does have a two drink minimum and so for some guests, the $14 bottomless soft drinks in a collectors cup is the best bet. There is also very good dessert menu with items ranging from $6 to $8.00 dollars.

My wife and I enjoyed the combination plate as well as a basket of French fries which was a perfect prelude to the evening. The staff is extremely friendly and courteous and I appreciated how efficient they were with bringing your food, refilling our drinks, and clearing our table without once getting in the way of enjoying the show.

The stage was very well lit and the noise amplification and acoustics of the facility was first rate. We were able to hear every word of the headliner which on our visit was the fantastic Filipino comedian Rex Navarette. We watched Rex perform twice before in Washington, and he truly seemed to be excited about his first visit to Arizona.

Even though it’s in downtown, the venue offered three hours of complimentary parking and for guests who wish to stay longer to take in some fantastic music at the Copper Blues after the show, parking is just $2 an hour.

The impressive array of guests is more than enough to have us looking forward to future visits, but when combined with first-class service and venue, and the enjoyable and diverse menu, dinner and a show at Stand Up Live is a perfect evening out for any occasion.

Visited June 2012

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great show, nickled and dimed on food/drinks.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I would have given this a '5' for the show and a '1.5' for everything else, so I compromised with a '3'.

This was a first visit for me and my husband. Comedian Jim Breuer was hilarious, and soooo was the bill! We were charged $1.50 because I asked for KETCHUP and MUSTARD on my hamburger. The money isn't the point, it's the fact that we were charged for ketchup. Ketchup!! The hamburger was delicious, though, and had I known I'd be charged for ketchup, I'd have drunk it. Ha!

The server was super pushy, came by every 15 minutes hawking the drink specials and asking if we wanted another cocktail. I know he was just doing his job, but it was annoying.

When the show was over and people were filing out, we sat and sat. And sat. Why? Because the server hadn't returned with our credit card. The couple next to us was also annoyed and we'd all like to have reduced the gratuity they so "conveniently" automatically added to the bill.

So we spent $70 for two sodas, two mixed drinks, one hamburger/fries, ketchup/mustard, and one order of soft pretzels. There was probably a silverware charge I didn't notice and I'm glad we didn't ask for water. Wonder how much that would have been?

Don't park in the ramp that's next door to venue. You will spend 35 minutes trying to get out of it. By the time we inched our way to the exit, the free 3-hour parking had expired (of course). This doesn't have anything to do with the venue, but was an annoyance cherry on top of the sundae.

If we go again, we'll order soda (still ridiculous - $3.00 for a tiny plastic cup), and enjoy our dinner (and ketchup) elsewhere!

Visited September 2012
3 Thank PhxCat
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Worst experience at a comedy club! Miss tempe improve!!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Went to see mike epps 7/8/12, too expensive! He was an hour late and they never came out and said anything they didnt even have the starting comics come out in the mean time the show just strated an hour late, menu and drink prices pretty typical but still expensive, worst seating EVER you sit across from your date/or other persons, and elbow to elbow with people next to you in a cram packed place, uncomfortable and if you get stuck by bad people even worse! I didnt realize the crowd mike epps attracted was going to be quite frankly scummy/sleazy and ghetto. We were some of the only white people there and got picked on the entire show by all the black comedians who came out stoned out of their minds! Finally decided to leave, got talked crap to on the way out by mike epps him self who i really didnt find that funny and he didnt seem to give a crap about anyone but himself didnt even mention he was late and seemed to have amature jokes, my husband called after we had left and the manager shannon was very nice and did comp us future tickets for the poor experience and food, will chose who we see very wisely next time. Oh and glad we had paid for vip tickets cause reserved seating is the way to go, worth the extra bucks to be upfront and not have to worry about first come first serve seating and lines!!! PS-womens bathroom...almost every stahl out of toilet paper!

Visited July 2012
5 Thank whitney j
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great house drinks, good food, great service for lunch.”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

A friend and I stopped in for lunch and sat at the bar and had a great experience. Our bartender Chris recommended some drinks which were fantastic. The Strawberry Fields Forever martini was delicious, and around 10 bucks which is pretty standard for a very good (and very strong) drink. Our tab for four drinks, a good pizza and an order of tasty spinach-artichoke dip was around 60 dollars.

We stopped in during a very long flight layover, but if we ever return to Phoenix we will definitely try and catch a show and come for drinks.

Visited July 2012
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good show, ask the price of drinks”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We've been here twice and learned our lesson form the first outing. Don't fall for the drink "specials" -- just means it's a $13-$14 drink that isn't anything that special. We warned the Kansas couple sitting next to us about this, but they continued to order, only to stare dumb-founded when they received their $95 tab at the end of the night.
We enjoyed the two shows we've seen there, but the packed-in tables and chairs make you feel uncomfortable. I feel sorry for the servers who have to move around to the tables. It must feel like they are stuck in the world's worst corn maze.
My advice to this venue -- remove a few tables to give people more space and better angles to see the stage. Also . . . actually put some alcohol in the mixed drinks. I don't mind paying a $10 or $12 for a drink as long as it doesn't taste like a fruit slushy I would serve to my kids!

Visited May 2012