“Oasis”

Westin Phoenix Downtown
Ranked #8 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Staying at the Westin is an experience not to be missed! It is close enough to the conference center to make a quick trip back to the room easy, but just far enough away to ensure a little peace and quiet at the end of the day. The lobby was an obvious product of fantastic market research and design. Everything from the colors to the wallpaper to the the temperature to the faint smell of orchids in the air made relaxing easy.
I stayed an extra day and just spent it in the Heavenly bed and the lounging by the salt water pool. Service was fantastic and staff were more than helpful!
I wish I could live here full time.

1  Thank Shavon B

Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed on the 18th floor and had beautiful views of Phoenix. Floor to ceiling windows and very high ceilings make the over- size rooms feel even larger. Typical Westin sleek decor, with great attention to detail. We did not have a corner room, but the bathroom was quite large. iPod and IPad interface allows you to play video through the television or music through ( good) sound system. The exercise facility was much better than average, with multiple ellipiticals, bikes and treadmills, and five weight machines. The pool is quite small, and there is no hot tub which is a bummer because the patio setting of the pool is very nice. Service was absolutely excellent. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it looked very nice. As others have said the Metro rail is literally across the street from the hotel entrance, and there is service on this light rail from the airport. This Westin is a no- brainier for business in downtown Phoenix.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank DavidBradley
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Wonderful and professional welcome from the staff. We had to wait a few minutes while our room was being quality checked for availability. The specialist, provided us cold bottled water and a very comfortable place to wait.

We were upgraded to a corner room, which was gorgeous. Wet bar. Separate seating area. Floor to ceiling windows, and a extremely spacious bath with a huge tub and huge separate shower. The shower had two separate shower heads. One adjustable and one that was an overhead rain shower. Double sinks. Fluffy robes were also waiting for us. Bath amenities includes the standard "white tea" (which is my only negative. Not my favorite). I forgot to mention the obvious..the heavenly bed and top notch linens...which are always heavenly.

We had access to the club lounge which needs to be established as the club lounge that all Starwood properties should mimic. Provided was a light breakfast on the weekend and a full breakfast during the weekdays. Snacks, evening appetizers, and evening dessert is also available.

What makes this club lounge so commendable is the staff. Kelvin, Matt, Athena, just to name a few provided the best service I have ever received at a Westin. (I have stayed at many). We arrived late one night an desserts had been put away, so a delicious hot cookie was delivered to our room. So unexpected but greatly appreciated.

Location: easy access to freeways, several restaurants within walking distance.
Room: Clean, comfortable and quiet
Parking: Valet only. No Self Park a bit spendy at $27/night

TIP: you can park on the street (we did) during the weekends and evenings at no charge. Just be sure either leave or put money in the meter by 8AM. Meters in force 8AM to 8PM Mon-Fri.

Will we be back? Looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Request Corner room.
1  Thank traveling_gal801
Reviewed March 13, 2012

To my knowledge, this hotel did not start as a hotel and that may be what makes it distinctive. The people, however, make it terrific.

Originally, I think the building was supposed to be part of an office building. However, due to the changing commercial real estate market, it was decided to make the floors 11-18 into hotel and meeting rooms (I think the first 10 floors are the parking garage). Floors above 18 are predominantly used by the tenant whose name is on the top of the building, Freeport-McMoran.

What this means for the traveler is that the rooms are huge, even by most luxury hotel standards. Add in the fact that it is still relatively new and you've got a physical plant that is both unique, inviting and comfortable (e.g. the Heavenly Bed). Not all rooms have tubs, so if this is important, you might double check with the hotel. However, the bathroom appointments are neat, clean and modern. Internet connection is excellent.

Without exception, everyone I have met at this hotel (I have stayed about half dozen times) is friendly and truly seems to want to help make your stay a pleasant one. If you are able to get upgraded to the Westin Club Lounge (not all Westins have this feature), I would highly recommend it. Both Athena and Shaina are terrific hosts, not only knowledgeable about the area and the hotel, but focused on making sure you are comfortable using the Lounge.

One final tip: Downtown Phoenix is about a 15 minute drive to the airport, so you can also use this hotel as an 'airport hotel' for those late night arrivals/early morning departures (PHX has no hotel on the premises).

One thing to look out for: The hotel is literally in the middle of downtown Phoenix, so you might want to time your arrival so that it does not conflict with rush hour.

Room Tip: The basic rooms are quite large. That means the suites are even larger, accommodating extras like a...
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Get a room on the 18th floor.....the rooms are huge, the views magnificent. The rooms seem cool temperature wise...not a bad thing in Phoenix! They are decorated with hardwood floors, gray walls, and ceiling to floor windows. The beds are comfy and the bathroom amenities are great. The little fridge even has a temperature control. The elevators are fast...and the front desk helpful. I think the drinks were pricy, but the little courtyard with the firepit is inviting.

Room Tip: 18th floor...quiet, great view, bright
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I was anxious to give this new property a try. On a recent trip to Phoenix I was able to spend one night. I arrived late after delayed flights. I was warmly welcomed by the valet staff and then the front desk. First impressions make a big difference.

I wasn't planning to ask for an upgrade since I was only going to be there for one night. To my delight, they had already upgraded me to a suite. The room design was spacious, modern and very comfortable. The bathroom had a large soaking tub and a separate large shower.

It was one of those room experiences where I just kept smiling!

The club lounge was very nice and the staff was very attentive.

I left with that refreshing feeling that business travelers need to “take care of business.”

One thing that you should make time for: take advantage of their outdoor oasis below the pool deck with a relaxing waterfall in the background. It has the feeling of a Japanese garden.

Room Tip: The suites are wonderful with large soaking tubs!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed here while attending a conference in the convention center in November. The rooms are very nice and really large with modern amenities (ipod docks for the alarm clock and TV) and contemporary decor. The heavenly bed was of course heavenly! I had a great view of the mountains surrounding the city from my room. I got room service the first night I was there and the gourmet sandwich and salad I got were delicious. The hotel is a short walk (about 10 min.) to the convention center and to the Arizona center which has several good restaurants and a Starbucks (not very good shopping though). I liked the short walk in the morning; however, if you're the type of person who likes to walk out the front door and have everything right there you might want to choose a different hotel. The location of the hotel was the only semi-negative for me. As I mentioned before, it is only a short walk, but you walk past a parking garage on one side and what looked like an empty run-down building on the other side on your way to the convention center & Arizona Center. I did see a couple of homeless people on that path, but this is a city, and they were not bothering anyone, so that didn't really bother me. During the day this was fine, but at night, as I was a women travelling alone and most of my colleagues stayed at one of the larger hotels directly across from the convention center, it did make me a little nervous to walk back to the hotel, but I just walked fast and stayed aware of my surroundings. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel for the clean, nice, comfortable, modern rooms, and nice staff, but especially if you are a woman travelling alone, just be aware that the location is slightly away from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business