“Great mom & pop italian restuarant.”
Review of Gasper's - CLOSED

Gasper's
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Indian School Rd.
Transit: City transit runs right past our restaurant.
Phoenix
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great mom & pop italian restuarant.”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Looking at it from the outside, we never would have known what great food and atmosphere this restaurant had. Everything is made fresh with the desserts made daily as well. We keep going back.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Great atmosphere and food.”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My family and I dined here last week while on vacation and had a great experience. The food was fantastic, especially my daughter's pizza from the wood fired oven. Our waiter was friendly and provided great service. My 2 year old daughter really had a blast playing with pizza dough from the kitchen and it kept her busy for the whole meal. We'll definitely come back next time we return. The food is reasonably priced and the ambience is great for a family dinner, date or business meeting. Nice renovation. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good food, slow bar service”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We went with a group for a birthday celebration. There were 11 of us. Table service was friendly and efficient. I waited at the bar for my group to arrive, could not seem to get anyone to get me a drink. I later realized that the people behind the bar were table servers and concentrating on getting drinks for their tables only.
Food was good. The Dinner Ceasar salad is not worth the $2 upcharge, just get the regular dinner salad.
I had the Fettuccini alla Burina was very good. Spiced Pizza crust served as a bread-side was delicious.

• Visited February 2012
San Francisco
“Homemade pasta, authentic pizza”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This is a fantastic find in Phoenix. Thin crust pizza is the best this side of New York and totally unexpected in Phoenix. The owners & staff are fantastic serving each dish reflecting the care of classic Italian cuisine prepared with love by your grandmother.The homemade lobster bisque was outstanding. Gasper's wife Maria makes the desserts like her mouth watering take on Tira Misu. The value is great. Parking is ample and well lighted. Interior is bright, new, and comfortable. Wine selection was good and complimented the dishes served.

• Visited December 2011
Silver city New Mexico
“Average Italian...and that's being kind”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Visited Phoenix and I usually like to try Italian places, so I checked TripAdvisor out, read the reviews for Gasper's. It was close to where I was staying, so my friend and I made a reservation.

The locale is nothing to talk about but that is not an indicator of bad food. Inside, the restaurant was had a modicum of ambiance that was immediately detracted from by the LARGE screen TV at the bar, which was an integral part of the main dining room. No one could avoid seeing it since there was no barrier between the bar and the dining room. When I go to a bar, I expect that. At a restaurant, it is completely out of place.

As for the food, I found it to be average at best. The waiter brought a basket of "bread", which, in reality, was cut up pizza dough, not bread. It was very oily and left my fingers greasy after handling it. The calamari that we ordered arrived. It was the one item that tasted good. It was served with a sauce. Overall, not bad, not killer. Next came the salads which were not especially flavorful. I had a caesar's salad; my friend had the house salad. Following this course came the entrees: I had ordered the spaghetti bolognese; my friend had the chicken parmigiana. The spaghetti bolognese had minimal pasta and maximum sauce, which was boring and not particularly flavorful. My friend, while satisfied with his entree, agreed that it was average. Overall, the food was... really, just average, at best. We both had the cannelloni for dessert. Again, having had this for dessert in many places, this was one of the oddest versions I've tasted that didn't translate into better tasting.

I have eaten in many Italian restaurants from coast to coast and this one is not one I'd return to. There are too many others that far exceed it in value to flavor. I'd rather spend more money to get better food. Not to say this was inexpensive...I spent almost $130.

If this is food made fresh daily, as other reviews state, my suggestion would be to replace the cook. IMHO, they don't have a chef there, not with the lack of quality in their food. The service was good but impersonal. I had no sense of anyone really going above or being the elements of basic waitservice. For what it's worth...

• Visited October 2011