“Fantastic fresh breakfast and lovely cocktails” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gallo Blanco Cafe - CLOSED

Gallo Blanco Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, American, Southwestern, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We are no longer at The Clarendon Hotel & actively looking for a new home.
Oklahoma City, OK
“Fantastic fresh breakfast and lovely cocktails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a great breakfast at Gallo Blanco after arriving in PHX at an odd hour of the morning. Huevos rancheros (very good), omelet (fabulous) and breakfast burrito (also fabulous). Ordered a Bloody Mary (nothing special), prickly pear margarita (very nice) and a picoso (very good). Had our two kids with us and their meal was free and just a buck for a big glass of fresh squeezed oj. Definitely a steal! A part of a hotel that appears to be undergoing a face lift so the atmosphere is a bit odd right now. Nonetheless, great food and drinks. We would love to go again before we have to head back home so we can try the lunch menu.

Kelowna, Canada
“OMG!!! THE BEST FOOD EVER!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is HANDS DOWN the BEST Mexican food I've EVER had!! and I've been to Mexico four times!!!!!

We had:
the street corn - OMG!! a MUST try
ALL of their single served taco's - OMG!
the guacamole - I miss it already!! - Can you send me some??? :)
The classic margarita's - OMG!
The burrito - OMG!
the lime tart - OMG!
the orange cake - OMG!
Their fire roasted Salsa - OMG!
Their fresh salsa - boy was it fresh!!

I'm salavating just writing this review!!

One thing: It's located inside the Clarendon Hotel which yes, looks a bit sketchy from the outside however please don't let that deter you. Its an eclectic mix of people but that is what made this restaurant have such an amazing atmosphere!!! SUCH an amazing meal, I can't wait to go back!

Bravo!!

2 Thank zorka3500
Phoenix, Arizona
“WOW! so good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Amazing drinks, icy cold beer always, among my fav appetizer is the "elote" or corn, chicharron de queso, tacos (that is dinner) if you do breakfast OMG chille aquiles is the way to go.
Yes sometimes service is slow even when is not full the restaurant, there is certainly room for improvement there but food quality makes you easily forget about a little more than usual wait but not unbearable. A must do when in Phoenix, prices are just right!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Fantastic fish tacos while they last!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I have dined here at least 7 times in last 2 years on business. While location is at a unique boutique hotel that alone creates wonderful atmosphere, the local seasonal vegetables, and locally sources meats are a big attraction for me. And the freaking tapa-sized hand made soft tacos...are jam packed full of flavor. Rock fish, sea bass, wild gulf shrimp, carne asada ribeye, cochonitas, and more. Yummy in my tummy. I'm having a business dinner hear tomorrow night after another 4 tacos tonight...

1 Thank Luma-boy
Tucson, AZ
“Not quite as good as we hoped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Based on reviews from friends and tripadvisor.com, we had high hopes for this place. Although the service was good and some of the food was great, the whole experience was not quite what we'd hoped for. The guacamole was excellent - it had bits of citrus and mint added to it. The roasted corn on the cob was fantastic. I strongly recommend trying it. My carne asada tacos were very tasty, but my wife's shrimp tacos were overly charred and overly salty. My margarita was slightly above average and my wife's white sangria was good. Also, because it was happy hour, the prices on the above things were reduced, which made it a pretty good value.

The biggest drawback, though, was the noise level. It was very, very loud. Some of it was due to the really loud group next to us, but ever when they left, the din was still deafening. In all, I'd give them 3.5 stars, and I'm going to round down due to the mis-steps in the food.