“WOW! so good!”

Gallo Blanco Cafe
Ranked #201 of 3,161 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are no longer at The Clarendon Hotel & actively looking for a new home.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Amazing drinks, icy cold beer always, among my fav appetizer is the "elote" or corn, chicharron de queso, tacos (that is dinner) if you do breakfast OMG chille aquiles is the way to go.
Yes sometimes service is slow even when is not full the restaurant, there is certainly room for improvement there but food quality makes you easily forget about a little more than usual wait but not unbearable. A must do when in Phoenix, prices are just right!

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I have dined here at least 7 times in last 2 years on business. While location is at a unique boutique hotel that alone creates wonderful atmosphere, the local seasonal vegetables, and locally sources meats are a big attraction for me. And the freaking tapa-sized hand made soft tacos...are jam packed full of flavor. Rock fish, sea bass, wild gulf shrimp, carne asada ribeye, cochonitas, and more. Yummy in my tummy. I'm having a business dinner hear tomorrow night after another 4 tacos tonight...

1  Thank Luma-boy
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Based on reviews from friends and tripadvisor.com, we had high hopes for this place. Although the service was good and some of the food was great, the whole experience was not quite what we'd hoped for. The guacamole was excellent - it had bits of citrus and mint added to it. The roasted corn on the cob was fantastic. I strongly recommend trying it. My carne asada tacos were very tasty, but my wife's shrimp tacos were overly charred and overly salty. My margarita was slightly above average and my wife's white sangria was good. Also, because it was happy hour, the prices on the above things were reduced, which made it a pretty good value.

The biggest drawback, though, was the noise level. It was very, very loud. Some of it was due to the really loud group next to us, but ever when they left, the din was still deafening. In all, I'd give them 3.5 stars, and I'm going to round down due to the mis-steps in the food.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is why I love TripAdvisor! I was in Phoenix for a couple days for business, and was looking for a place to eat that was a bit more "local" than the typical restaurants surrounding the convention center. After looking through the TripAdvisor reviews, Gallo Blanco Cafe looked to fit the bill nicely, and was only about 3 miles away. It's located in an area of town I would never have visited otherwise, and without seeing the good reviews on TripAdvisor, I likely would not have stopped to try it...and that would have been a pity.

This is a lively little place, with seating both inside and out, as well as a take-out option. The service and food weren't just good; they they were spectacular. In addition, we were there during happy hour, so the food and drinks were very well-priced. We started off with some fresh-made guacamole, which you've got to try (little chunks of oranges in it, which gave it a very citrusy flavor). I had a fish taco that rivals anything I've had in southern California - I highly recommend it - and a delicious carne asada burrito. The server talked my colleague into a flap jack to go with his dinner - yep, they serve breakfast all day - which he claimed was the best he'd ever had.

I don't know if we just got lucky, but everything was spot-on for this visit. I will definitely go back the next time I'm in town, and recommend Gallo Blanco Cafe to anyone looking for a fun local casual dinner.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I've been here many times now. Probably the best of all is to go on Wednesday for Flamenco night. There's a dancer with live music, which for me and my professional musician friends, is something we'd usually avoid. We like quiet places and music can be interruptive. But flamenco night is just a great party, very strong artistically, and a great place to have some amazing white sangria and some delicious little plates. The guacamole is great, but lots of places have great guac. The thing here is the elote callejero. It's a grilled ear of corn on the cob with a zesty, creamy, citrusy, spicy coating on it, and it is the best $5 I've ever spent on anything. The tacos are small, light, delicious. One of my favorite items there, raw tuna with guacamole and chips, has been removed from the menu, and that's a real shame.

The decor is kind of "vintage furniture shop that serves great food." The lounge area has quirky, mismatched furniture which I love, and gives the place an artsy, underground vibe. The service has always been very good on my visits, and there is outdoor seating if the weather is conducive.

The half chicken is another delicious, and more substantial dish. There's a lot on the menu I have not gotten to try yet, but I'll keep going, and if I can have the discipline not to order the things I know I love... I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of it.