“Delicious and reasonably priced”
Review of Gallo Blanco Cafe

Gallo Blanco Cafe
Ranked #202 of 3,132 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are no longer at The Clarendon Hotel & actively looking for a new home.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I've been here many times now. Probably the best of all is to go on Wednesday for Flamenco night. There's a dancer with live music, which for me and my professional musician friends, is something we'd usually avoid. We like quiet places and music can be interruptive. But flamenco night is just a great party, very strong artistically, and a great place to have some amazing white sangria and some delicious little plates. The guacamole is great, but lots of places have great guac. The thing here is the elote callejero. It's a grilled ear of corn on the cob with a zesty, creamy, citrusy, spicy coating on it, and it is the best $5 I've ever spent on anything. The tacos are small, light, delicious. One of my favorite items there, raw tuna with guacamole and chips, has been removed from the menu, and that's a real shame.

The decor is kind of "vintage furniture shop that serves great food." The lounge area has quirky, mismatched furniture which I love, and gives the place an artsy, underground vibe. The service has always been very good on my visits, and there is outdoor seating if the weather is conducive.

The half chicken is another delicious, and more substantial dish. There's a lot on the menu I have not gotten to try yet, but I'll keep going, and if I can have the discipline not to order the things I know I love... I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of it.

There are newer reviews for Gallo Blanco Cafe

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Having spent my career in restaurants and hospitality I am thrilled when I’m blown away by the food at a new place and an owner that “gets it”. The owner (restaurant is separate from the hotel, which made sense when I found out I couldn’t sign anything to my room) and his partner clearly know what they are doing and understand both food and service. The shrimp, grilled rib eye, marinated pork and fish tacos are the best I’ve tasted. The rib eye burrito and Pico Rico burger with fire roasted chiles are off the chart (yes I had three meals there), and the flan was like none I’ve ever tasted (and before tasting it I wasn’t necessarily a big fan of flan). It’s apparent that a lot of time and energy went into making the recipes for all of these dishes. The staff is young and up beat without being obnoxious or pretentious. They were all friendly but I have to give a shout out to Natasha and Rebecca made me feel so welcome that other than the food they were part of the reason I kept going back. Again, this goes back to these guys and hiring right.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is basically a Taco place. Pork tacos were great and chips and salsa was also good. If you are health conscience this is not the place to go. No veggies, no brown rice, they have refried beans, not black beans. The locals love it wasn't really my cup of tea....couldn't see the big deal of this place, but it is highly regarded

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Staff was friendly
Service was prompt
Food was good
No good coffee: espresso or cappuccino.
Onions on almost every dish

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The food was amazing. The drinks were great but the service was so so. There was a couple times my water was empty and they never filled it up.