“Memorable!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$20.00*
and up
Musical Instrument Museum Self-Guided Tour in...
Ranked #2 of 238 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The World's Only Global Musical Instrument Museum. Home of the MIM Music Theater--a 300-seat acoustically superb performance space--as well as the award-winning Café Allegro (open 11 am - 2 pm daily) and the MIM Museum Store. The average guest spends nearly four hours at MIM. Please allow plenty of time to fully enjoy MIM's galleries and exhibits. Open daily, 9 am - 5 pm; Closed Thanksgiving; Open Christmas, 11 am - 5 pm. General Admission: $20; Teens (ages 13-19): $15; Children (ages 4-12): $10; Children 3 and under: Free. Hours and prices are subject to change.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Most Phoenicians don't even realize what we have in our own backyard. MIM is an amazing musical experience that really makes one understand how music unites all cultures around the world. My fanily has been there a couple of times: We recently sent my brother and his family, who were visiting from Italy, to the MIM for the day, expecting them to spend about 4 hours there. They spent the entire day and my brother remarked that he had to be pulled away from some of the exhibits! We cannot say enough good things about this jewel in the desert!

1  Thank Aurora A
Write a ReviewReviews (5,182)
All reviews
in 65 reviews
"we spent hours"
in 104 reviews

Reviewed August 2, 2013

There is a lot to see and experience at the MIM. My grandson was 4 when we visited, he loved the room with the percussion instruments that he would play - gong, xylophone type instruments. I probably would have enjoyed the visit more if I had gone by myself, at 4 he was too young to enjoy the displays ... or maybe he enjoyed them too much, he wanted to try out the instruments. My next trip will be solo so I can enjoy the experience a bit more.

1  Thank CorrineCat
Reviewed August 2, 2013

As we were leaving the museum at 9:00, I quipped "Closing already? It's seems like we've been here 10 minutes!" Actually, we had been there 8 hours. This from someone who enters every museum warning the people I'm that I'm good for 2 hours, max. BTW In that 8 hours, we only saw 2/3 of their collection. Truly an amazing experience.

Two things will make this an even better experience. Don't make my mistake and wear fashionable shoes. Wear comfortable shoes. Secondly, wear a light jacket if you tend to get chilly in air conditioning.

If you are a photographer, by all means bring your camera. The only stipulation is no flash. If you have a DSLR, turn off focus assist. Happily, you will not be dealing with reflections from glass cases because the instruments are not in glass cases.

Otherwise, have a wonderful time. I sure did.

1  Thank Lindajean19
Reviewed August 2, 2013

So you're looking for interesting things for you and your family to do during a stay in Phoenix. You look up a list of museums and attractions and see "The Musical Instrument Museum". Do you pass it by and keep looking?

Before my first trip (I've been several times), I thought, "There can't be much to this." That's what I thought. And I'm a HUGE music fan!

Happily, I was wrong. This museum is has something for everybody! And once you get started with your tour, you may not want to leave.

This museum is loaded with history, culture, science, AND music! With your earphones in place, you'll be guided through all the countries of the world to experience the infinite variety of our planet's music. You'll learn about the science of sound, how music is an integral part of culture and communication, the footprint of music on the history of our planet, and so much more!

Like I said, when I walked into the Musical Instrument Museum for the first time, I thought, "There can't be much to this". When I walked out TWO AND A HALF HOURS later, I was delighted to be wrong. Give this museum a try. By the end of your first visit, you'll be planning your next!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My family visited the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) in July 2013, and we all have a wonderful experience.

The MIM is located in northern part of Scottsdale/Phoenix. Parking is free. We paid about $45 for two adults and two children, which we thought was a little expensive, until we started walking around the museum. The entry fee was well worth the experience.

The museum is pretty new, and is decorated very nicely, and maintained to the highest standards. All of the displays are very professional assembled. This is one of the most fun, educational and interesting museums I have ever visited. All of the staff were very friendly, helpful and informative. They made your visit feel very special.

When you enter the MIM you get a set of head phones with a small receiver box. As you walk up to a display, you'll be able to see instruments and artifacts from that region, and be able to watch and hear short video clips of those instruments being played. Some of the video clips are old black and white footage, some are new footage. With the headphones all of the displays become interactive.

The museum is filled with musical instruments from all over the world. The MIM is divided into sections; United States/Canada, Europe, Latin America, Southeast Asia, East Asia, South/Central Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. They have old and new instruments for each country, along with artifacts, costumes, and other items from the different areas of the world.

There is also an experience gallery where you can actually play many different instruments; guitars, harps, gongs, drums, etc. My young children loved this area, and we went back to this room three times during our visit. They also have a display of mechanical musical instruments.

There is an cafe at the MIM. We ate lunch there, and found the food to be good, but expensive. They also have a very well stocked gift store.

We planned on spending a couple of hours at the museum before we entered it, and ended up spending the entire day there, and could have spent another 3 hours if they were not closing. My young children never got bored or complained. They loved walking up to the displays and listening to the different music.

If in the Phoenix area, this is a must see attraction. It is worth your time and money. It's also a fun and educational place to take your children to visit.

You are allowed to take photos in the museum for personal use, but no flash is allowed. They will also not let you take any backpacks into the museum.

I will be visiting the MIM next time I'm in the Phoenix area. I would highly recommend the MIM to all of my family and friends.