“Fascinating”

Musical Instrument Museum Self-Guided Tour in Phoenix
Ranked #1 of 236 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The World's Only Global Musical Instrument Museum. Home of the MIM Music Theater--a 300-seat acoustically superb performance space--as well as the award-winning Café Allegro (open 11 am - 2 pm daily) and the MIM Museum Store. The average guest spends nearly four hours at MIM. Please allow plenty of time to fully enjoy MIM's galleries and exhibits. Open daily, 9 am - 5 pm; Closed Thanksgiving; Open Christmas, 11 am - 5 pm. General Admission: $20; Teens (ages 13-19): $15; Children (ages 4-12): $10; Children 3 and under: Free. Hours and prices are subject to change.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy this museum, but it went way above my expectations. The technology used to watch and listen to the music being played on a given instrument greatly enhances the experience. This is a place that one could return to over and over and have a different experience every time. Highly recommended!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,952)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We spent almost 4 hours in this museum, and didn't see it all! What we loved most is that you get to hear and see the instruments played on video/through headsets. This got us dancing, snapping our fingers, and scrunching up our noses at times. There's something for everyone here, as it's not just static displays of musical instruments. They also have exhibits for genres of music. Exhibits include celebratory costumes for some-- my favorite? A Thai Dragon. What surprised me most was how intricate a piano is made. Yes, they're hand made. Gave me an even better appreciation for them! Also, the exhibit for Poland had goat bladder bagpipes. Who knew?!!! They have a wonderful, gift shop. Should be something there for everyone, and most things were not "just tomorrow's garage sale items". There's a cafeteria that had a varied/interesting menu, but we didn't get a chance to eat there. Next time! Definately~

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Don't try to do 2 museums in one day!
This museum is over the top! Lots of time on your feet so wear comfortable shoes! Each country is represented with a live video @ real instruments to view .the audio headset was awesome! You just stood in front of the display and the audio would start automatically . Really liked the star gallery , wish I would have done the 1st floor first .

Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you like music, this is a fascinating place. The collection contains over 14,000 instruments from all over the world, displayed geographically. It's almost as much a museum of countries as it is of music. Though the building itself isn't overly huge, the collection is vast. My wife -- an avid amateur musician -- and I spent seven hours at MIM over two days and I would estimate that we saw maybe 60% of the displays. Videos help explain how the instruments sound and, in some cases, what that particular style of music sounds like. The Jazz section is great. So is the room dedicated to mechanical instruments -- music boxes, calliopes, nickelodeons, etc.

Whether you're young or old, the room where you can play some of the instruments is fun. And the displays which show how a Steinway piano or a Gibson guitar are made are also interesting.

I had only two regrets -- I would've enjoyed a more extensive display devoted to Broadway music, and I wish I had had the time to attend one of MIM's many concerts. Oh well, I'll just have to go back!

1  Thank KommissarKen
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had a friend visit from out of town and we visited the MIM. The facility is beautiful and comfortable. Downstairs was an excellent exhibit about famous musicians from the last 100 years. This was our favorite part. There was also a room where you could play many of the instruments displayed throughout the museum (who doesn't want to play a giant gong?!). Upstairs were numerous displays about music from all over the world. It became monotonous, but I found a few displays interesting and spent extra time in those spots. In the US section there was a display about Fender guitars, and another about Steinway grand pianos. We enjoyed both of those. There is more than enough to see in one day, so don't feel obligated to spend time at a station if you don't like it. I would suggest spending about 2 hours.