“10,000 reasons to love this place”

Musical Instrument Museum
Musical Instrument Museum Self-Guided Tour in Phoenix
Ranked #1 of 234 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The World's Only Global Musical Instrument Museum. Home of the MIM Music Theater--a 300-seat acoustically superb performance space--as well as the award-winning Café Allegro (open 11 am - 2 pm daily) and the MIM Museum Store. The average guest spends nearly four hours at MIM. Please allow plenty of time to fully enjoy MIM's galleries and exhibits. Open daily, 9 am - 5 pm; Closed Thanksgiving; Open Christmas, 11 am - 5 pm. General Admission: $20; Teens (ages 13-19): $15; Children (ages 4-12): $10; Children 3 and under: Free. Hours and prices are subject to change.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

The MIM is jammed packed with over 10,000 different instruments. They do certainly come alive with the audio guide that automatically plays snippets from many of the instruments as you walk breast them. They do a pretty good job of telling the story of the instruments, but if there is anything this amazing museum could add would be more of the story behind the music/instruments - as in tying it all together. Plan to spend longer there than you would predict. My favorite part was the mechanical instruments (such as player piano).

1  Thank TimmyTwoTone
Write a ReviewReviews (4,781)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Captivating and entertaining beyond my wildest expectations. Music from all over the world, each 'booth' containing a short description of the music you are about to hear - then 3 - 5 snippets of various music from the region or era and a display of an array of the musical instruments you are watching and hearing with your own set of earphones that automatically "plug in" to the music as you stand in front of the booth. Spend as much or as little time as you want. A really ingenius setup for a museum. I could have spent another 5 hours there.

1  Thank mar99
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was enjoying the visit when a security person slur me from touching an instrument, it should have been acceptable but the approach is too unprofessional. I suspect it would be a little bit different if I am white. Prejudice exists on this museum.

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Took my nine year old and 5 year old daughter plus their five year old friend. Astounding. Fairly priced. Informational. Beautifully laid out and designed. Top notch cafe and restaurant. Gorgeous landscaping. The audio / headsets were wonderfully done. The "experience" area was the girls' favorite although they liked the artist and different geographic areas. Only negative was when a security guard asked me to keep all children with me and not to let them hang on the "bars" (24-30" metal frames in front of individual exhibits). I had my eyes on them as we wandered through vignettes. They were not doing more than touching the bars/frames as they were reading the signs. I know not all children are Montessori students like the three I had but two minutes of observation would have given an indication of how respectful they are. They were a bit upset to feel reprimanded (although the guard asked gently and with no malice). I just think it's important to get children to feel comfortable in these settings and I'd already warned them "no touching". Small and inconsequential occurrence for an otherwise wonderful experience. 3 1/2 hours was the children's limit it seemed but really, could spend a full day here.

1  Thank emcfish
Reviewed December 29, 2012

After hearing all sorts of endorsements about the MIM, my wife and I finally visited it the other day. The MIM was splendid. Very, very interesting exhibits with both audio and video of performances by many of the instruments. I took along my camera as an afterthought and ended up taking more than 90 photos.Would have done more but the battery was running low. We have vowed to return because there were a lot of things we missed. Once is not enough.

1  Thank abigguy