“Good Massage....Disappointing Service”

Arizona Biltmore Spa
Ranked #4 of 39 Spas & Wellness in Phoenix
Reviewed December 5, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Arizona Biltmore and decided that adding a couples massage to our stay would be a nice relaxing touch. Unfortunately it was not that easy. I called the hotel about a week before we arrived for our stay, went through the phone menu and selected the appropriate number to book a reservation at the spa. I spoke with someone who took my information and booked me for a couples massage for the date I requested. At this time I was asked for my preference of therapist (male or female) and asked to guarantee the reservation with a credit card. I was told that I would receive a confirmation call two days before my reservation but was all set.

The day before our reservation we decided to try to locate the spa so we would know where we were going (the resort is large). Signage was a little strange. We followed the signs to the main pool but then there were no signs. We finally figured out that to get to the spa we had to enter the pool area and walk to the back. Once we located the spa we stopped in and were very nicely greeted by the staff. We said we were just locating the spa for our reservation and decided to look around. Later that evening I said to my husband...."We haven't received our confirmation call for the massage.....hope that's not a problem." It was too late to check at that time so we figured that this is a high end hotel...we made and guaranteed the reservation...what could go wrong. Well....
the day of our massage came and we showed up at the time we were told and sure enough there was no record of our reservation. I told them that I had booked, guaranteed the reservation, stated my preference of therapist. Their response was that they didn't have a record of it and the therapists were all done for the day but they would see if they could get someone to stay and do separate massages (they weren't able to do the couples massage) well they couldn't get anyone to stay at this point so our only choice was to rebook for another day. They did offer us 20% off but we already had 20% off from our HHonors Diamond Status. There was no other offer. We were told that they are having problems with guests calling the front dest to reserve their spa appointments because the software doesn't work with the spa software. Um....if you know this perhaps you should reroute the phone system so that the guests speak directly with the spa and the reservations aren't messed up!

We did end up rebooking our couples massage and they were very nice. Our therapists were very apologetic of our experience and even gave us a small gift of spa items. The massages were really good. The facilities were nice. Guests can use the jacuzzi at any time during their stay. The massage room was nice and we were very comfortable with our therapists.

If you have a chance, the spa is a nice way to spend a relaxing day.....just make sure that you book directly with the spa and follow up to make sure that your reservation is when you want it to be!

2  Thank Melody B

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had a really wonderful massage and a delightful conversation with the therapist at the same time, though I don't usually talk during a massage. Not only are there many different massages from which to choose, but there are also several different options to avail yourself of during your massage---aroma therapy or unscented oils, exfoliation of your feet, etc. The end result was wonderful!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

While staying at the Biltmore I had a massage at the spa. First the good, the massage was amazing. Katey was excellent, she provided a wonderful massage with just the right amount of pressure. She was attentive without being intrusive! The problems: Locker rooms needed attention, the shower actually had mold in it and the amenities were lacking.

1  Thank Kurt R
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We recently stayed in the Ocatilla rooms for a few days on vacation. My hubby wanted to "treat" me so I went to the salon for a pedi and decided to get a trim while I was there. The pedi was okay - she was a little aggressive with the nippers and I had some pieces of skin missing, but the worst was the haircut. I told her I wanted a trim with about an inch off. I sat in the chair and told her to start the layers at about the chin. Yep, first clip of the scissors and 6" fell from my hair. Do not go to the English as a Second language stylist for a haircut. I was so disappointed and mentioned to the spa lady when I checked out and she just smiled and kept ringing up the bill. I should have left a big $0 for the tip! The spa "relaxation" room is just about like a waiting room at a clinic; there was no champagne or alcohol of any kind, no soda, no snacks, and limited reading material. I will never go back, and urge the rest of you to go to the mall chain and save your money if you want a bad experience. The rest of the stay was great.

3  Thank show_me_travel_93
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I recently visited the Arizona Biltmore Spa. While there I misplaced my watch and found that I had left it in my spa robe which got sent to the laundry. There were three employees that were instrumental in helping me search the spa and ultimately direct me to the security services which found the watch in the laundry services. Their names where Simone, Megan and Maguie. I appreciated their genuine concern for my situation and their extra concern in trying to locate me once security had found my watch.
StarrW