“Meh”

Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We had some friends visiting from out of town and the last time there were here (maybe 2-3 months ago) we took them to True Food on Camelback. It was our first time to TF as well, and believe it or not, we left there hungry and drove through Culver's on the way home for a burger, fries and a shake. But I digress.

So now it's a new year and we're on a Paleo diet (my girlfriend and me). We could've gone back to TF, but since we didn't care for it the first time, why bother with a second visit? We've eaten in (ie., haven't been to a restaurant) the entire month of Jan, so on Jan 30, we decided to find a place that would be decent for our friends and we could stick to our Paleo. After a bit of research, learned that The Grind had one of the top-rated burgers in the city--perfect!

First of all, it's primarily a bar, not a restaurant. Take that for what it's worth. I merely point it out because it's not really a family/kid-friendly place to go. We didn't take our kids (thank goodness), and I really wouldn't ever. It's in a strip mall, right across the street from North (one of our fave Italian eateries prior to this whole stoopid Paleo thing).

All four of us ordered burgers. Mine came with swiss cheese (I ordered it without--not Paleo, so it immediately went back to the kitchen), my girlfriend's was *WAY* underdone--she ordered it medium and it came out rare, and neither one of our company finished either their burger or their fries. My girlfriend and I split an order of sweet potato fries and grilled vegetables (both Paleo). Neither one was anything to write home about.

The burgers are supposed to be organic, but I couldn't taste any difference. I found the place to be over-priced and over-hyped. We won't be returning.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

my husband the carnivore likes this place more than I do...he and my 80+ mom loved the drinks and food...and I found some tweeks that made it ok for a vegan....it has a nice comfortable feel and service is overall good...try it and see how you like it.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I can’t tell you how many times we’ve driven by this place and said we should try it. I SO wanted to like this place. It’s in a non-descript mall that has been re-inventing itself for years and is still nothing to look at aesthically, so walking into The Grind is a bit of a shock to the senses. It’s dark, trendy and kind of has an upscale feel to it. So far so good. It was busy, another good sign, and I’m having high expectations of this place. But they were short-lived.

We wanted to sit and enjoy our drinks for a while, but after the server asked us multiple times if we were ready to order, we decided we’d better do just that. I’m not sure where they had to go to prepare the food, but we waited an awfully long time for our burgers. When they arrived, we were all overwhelmed. The turkey burger was blah, tasteless and dry; the sweet & spicy burger as well as the steakhouse blt were overcooked. The sweet potato fries were limp and flavorless.

All this disappointment and overpriced to boot! A lot of very good burger restaurants can be found in the Phoenix area – several in the general vicinity of The Grind! I hate to write off a place after the first visit (unless it’s a major disaster) because it could just be a fluke. But having read some of the other reviews, I’m not sure our experience was a one-off. But it will be a while before I circle back to this place.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This an upscale neighborhood place, been here many times in the last year or so and have to go pretty far out of my way to get there.

Found food way above average.

Specialty is burgers cooked in a coal fired oven, in fact the burgers are pretty much the whole menu along with some outstanding appitizers.

Have tried several burgers but have a difficulty not ordering the peppercorn sauce burger w/gruyere cheese. (maybe the best burger in town?)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

A great place to get burgers and beer. The prices were very reasonable and burgers delicious. We also had chicken burgers, if you don't want all the beef. Although i'm not a fan of lots of TVs in restaurants, these were not loud and we sat in the back so we could talk.
The wait staff was fast and efficient.