“Truly Average with Considerable Hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of True Food Kitchen

True Food Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
True Food Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 3,061 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Camelback East
“Truly Average with Considerable Hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at many of the Fox concept restaurants and we are fans of their quality and service.

We were excited to visit the True Food Kitchen in Phoenix. I ordered the Bison Burger with a side of sweet potato hash and Kale salad. The medium cooked burger was dry and fairly tasteless and the hash was bland. Kale salad was fresh and superb.
My wife ordered the Winter Vegetable dish. She was satisfied with it saying that it was very flavorful with a very generous portion.

So one mediocre meal (recommended by the waiter) and one meal that got a strong review.

Thought the meals were pricey and doubt we would return. So many other choices in the Phoenix market.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Theroadwarrior12

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great, health conscious food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've eaten at True Food twice now and the food is quite good. The ambiance is very nice. I really have no real complaints other than...I guess I don't LOVE uber-healthy menus. It's definitely a go to when I'm watching what I eat.

• Visited October 2013
Anthem, Arizona
“Pretentious and not very filling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Let me start off by saying we're HUGE fans of the Fox Group. We adore North (the one in Arcadia), and I'm not even a big fan of Italian. In any event, we had some friends visiting from out of town (Atlanta) this week and I offered up three potential locations for dinner (Sassi, Mastro's, and True Food) and let them choose--they obviously chose True Food. We hadn't been to TF prior to last night, and quite frankly we won't be going back again.

We arrived right at 7 (we didn't have reservations) on a Tue night and were immediately greeted by the hostess who asked if we wanted to sit inside or out (heated/covered patio). I went out to the patio to check it out (it was definitely quieter), but liked the vibe in the main dining room, so we chose that. We were immediately seated and the waiter quickly came over to take our drink order--a beer and a wine. Our friends showed up about 5 minutes later and we ordered just one app to share--the tuna tataki. It was rather bland and didn't have much taste and we didn't finish it.

The menu is some sort of healthy, pretentious list of hodgepodge items supposedly based on the principles of someone named Dr. Weil, whoever he is. All I know is that there wasn't a single red meat entree (not counting the bison burger) on the menu--it was a whole bunch of foo-foo entrees like I'd expect to see at some snobby, pretentious LA bistro--not my bag, My girlfriend ordered the spicy chili shrimp noodles (had a grand total of 3 small shrimps) and I ordered the sea bass. My portion was *tiny*--I'm guessing 3 ounces of fish, maybe. It lasted all of 5 bites. Our friends ordered the bison burger (he liked it, although french fries were not an option) and the salmon, and she was ok, but not overly-impressed with her entree. Even the desserts are healthy, so we skipped them and went out for ice cream afterwards.

In retrospect, I wish I wouldn't have suggested TF as an option, but again, we had heard nothing but good things about it. We took our same friends to Olive & Ivy when they were in town in Sep and we were also disappointed by that experience (it just seemed over-rated), so now I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the Fox Group or just a fan of North Arcadia.

I'll probably try Zin Burger (who doesn't like a good burger?), but if that experience is as disappointing as our last two (True Food and Olive & Ivy) we might just be done with Fox for good.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank Harrison S
Iowa City, Iowa
“Great food! Phenomenal customer service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We ate here with our family, seven adults and one two year old, Monday night. The food was delicious and fresh. Fabulous flavor sand a very diverse menu. Unfortunately, my wife who has a pepper allergy, received her dish and they had forgotten her allergy. They immediately recognized the problem and bent over backwards to accommodate her. Their response was over the top including comping the her meal. We will definitely return.

On another note, they were very kid friendly.

Visited November 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Good food and good for you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Delicious, healthy food. Wonderful service. Nice atmosphere. Dream come true. I had the kale slushy and bouillabaisse. Delicious! I then had the not-to-be-missed flour-free chocolate cake for dessert and ordered 2 more of these for takeout. Of note, I am a diet-controlled type II diabetic, and there was a lot I could eat on the menu. Prices were very reasonable, especially considering the very upscale shopping mall in which it is located. I wish we had one in Tucson. I remain truly greatful to Dr. Weill for starting up these restaurants.

• Visited November 2013