“Fair Value for American Mexican Food.”

Manuel's Mexican Food
Ranked #157 of 3,134 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Deer Valley
Neighborhood: Deer Valley
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Been here quite a few times. We prefer the bar area, as it's more social than the main restaurant.

If you want more realistic Mexican food there are many places in Phoenix, closer to downtown; plus half the price. Be prepared if you go to these the salsa will be hot, most don't speak English, nor take credit cards.

I'd put this close to Valley Luna for food, just a little less expensive.

There are newer reviews for Manuel's Mexican Food

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Loved the chimis and the chips and salsa were fantastic. Our waitress was a little abrupt, but the guy who kept bringing us chips was great

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I've been here twice and have enjoyed the cocktails at the bar. The salsa has great spice to it without being "flavorless-heat." Margaritas are also tasty and refreshing. I like the outdoor patio area. Bar area has tables... Or the main dining room if you prefer for families.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Good basic Mexican American food. The regular salsa is not too hot which I like and was very fresh tasting. They do provide a hot salsa for those who like it hotter. The food is the standard fare found at most restaurants of this type. Nothing that stood out as outstanding or special. We went for lunch and the portions were quite large. Overall a good dining option for the area.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

In the six months since we moved here, my wife and I have been searching for really good mexican food, with good atmosphere, value, flavor and service. We've tried many, all over the valley, but so far none of them really hit everything we wanted. After wrapping up the purchase of a new car at the Bell Road Toyota down the street, we asked our sales guy about Filiberto's, which is on the same block as the dealership. He said skip it and go a couple blocks further east to Manuels (between 19th and 7th streets on Bell), and that we'd be glad we did. He was totally right. We've now been there twice and both times this place impressed us. The service was friendly, fast and attentive, the portions are enormous, the prices are awesome --appetizer, two entres, two sodas and dessert for $43, with a TON of leftovers for the next day!) SO that is all great but it doesn't mean much if the food isn't good. Luckily, it is IF you order the right thing. Chips and salsa are complimentary if you order an entre, and are very good - the salsa is mild and tastes homemade. They will also give you some house made hot sauce - it is ok but a little overpowering. For appetizers, we tried the mini chimi platter (there is nothing mini about these chimis BTW, and you get like, six of them -- just this alone could have filled me up and I'm a big guy). If you get that, ask for extra Nortena sauce as it really needs something to dip in. Otherwise it was great. The guacamole appetizer was great, and I'm kind of a guac snob. The trick here is to ask for flour chips instead of corn chips - you will be in gluten heaven.
For entrees, the stand out, home run dish to order is the Pollo Especial. Tender chicken, in their green nortena sauce, inside a dumpling shaped crispy flour tortilla, covered in a jalapeno cream cheese sauce. It is awesome, and I never order chicken hardly. My aife had the mexican pizza with ground beef, which was also awesome but kind of one note for my tastes. On our second visit we aso tried the quesodilla, which I liked but my wife found too heavy on the cilantro, and I had the "fiesta platter", which comes with a little pollo especial (because I needed it at this point), but also let me try the flauta, the tostada, a mini taco, and a cheese crisp (think one round nacho chip with melted cheddar on it). Turns out none of those other things were worth it, and I'll be sticking with the Pollo Especial from now on. For dessert we tried the fried ice cream with half chocolate and half caramel sauce. It was really awesome with the caramel sauce. Unlike many others we've had in the past, the ice cream was not rock hard and the crust was thinner, which made it easier to eat and gave it a better texture. We will be doing that one again. Also note there are two sides to the restaurant, the main room and the cantina. The chairs in the main room are on wheels, and can be a bit tricky to sit in - my mom had problems with it - but there are booths too. The chairs in the cantina side are not on wheels and a lot easier to get in and out of. There are booths on that side too, but the bar is there and it can be a little louder.