“Inconsitent service - food just average”
Review of St. Francis

St. Francis
Ranked #56 of 3,269 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Central Avenue
Transit: One block away from the Light Rail stop at Camelback and Central Ave.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Things started off on the wrong foot. It was raining (in Phoenix!) and the valet was standing in the rain and told us just to park it. I let my wife out and went on to park the car. I overheard diners leaving ask for their car and the valet just handed them their keys. When we checked in with the hostess she proceeded to show us to a dirty table. We had to go back and stand at the front. This was at about 9 pm and we waited 15 minutes to get the table cleaned. We had reservations. We finally got seated and drinks and appetizers ordered. The appetizers came before the drinks. We ordered dinner and no one cleared the plates until dinner was served. A second round of drinks was not offered. We had to ask for water refills. The bread which is baked here was very good. There was a charge for it. I ordered the baked chicken and it tasted like it was baked the day before. We had wood fired roasted peppers as appetizers and they were very good. The serving was the size of a meal. Wife order pork chilli verde. I thought it was pretty good but she thought it was only average. The place has a hip beat to it. Probably a good happy hour spot but not fine dining. Service was not professional at all.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

After seeing the restaurant being featured on one of the Food/Travel show I thought I stopped by and see what the fuss was all about.
It was closed to the Phoenix airport so worth a side trip if you have the time.
I was there on a Tuesday, for lunch, and the restaurant was almost full at 11:30am (they open at 11am).
Good atmosphere. Attentive staff. Short menu but there are quite a few items on there that I would try. I went with the "pig dip". Good portion. Tasted great, especially with their "au jus". I also ordered a loaf of their wood burning oven baked bread to go.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went for Sunday lunch and didn't realize we would only get the brunch menu. My husband ordered a Bloody Mary & I had a Bellini. We both ordered Eggs Benedict - his with salmon & mine with prosciutto. I felt like I was fighting mine trying to cut through the chewy bread. The fingerling potatoes on the side was the best part - except for the live jazz from 10:30 - 1:30. Not really worth $50 with tip.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We went for the happy hour on a Saturday. I love when businesses have happy hours other than Monday through Friday! The drinks were very affordable, but the food was a bit expensive, even during happy hour.

DRINKS

Santa Rosa Cocktail: Probably one of the best cocktails that we have ever had. Had herbs in it, which sounded like it was a risky choice, but it was more citrus and sugar tasting. My wife ordered a second one. (She usually orders some different drink to have variety, but wanted the same drink again.)

Oak Creek Amber: My first time having this beer and I would definitely get it again.

FOOD

Baked Goat Cheese: This was ok, but we would not get it again. The cheese should have been more "burnt" on top. The crostini (slices of bread that are toasted into flat croutons) were part crispy/part soft bread, but the end result was more like stale bread.

Pork Chile Verde: This was very good tasting, but I'm not sure it was worth even the Happy Hour price and definitely would not worth the full menu price. I am not a big fan of corn bread, but I did like this corn bread. It had some whole corn pieces and was kind of sweet and moist.

Sticky Toffee Pudding: Not as good as my wife makes (I'm not biased!) but was very good and we would get again, except it was pricey. Maybe they need happy hour dessert prices as well.

ATMOSPHERE

Very nice place. A little loud as is typical of this type of place. Not too noisy though. St. Francis is famous for having kids eat free at all times. So, there was one table with children that were loud enough once that we and the table next to us discussed it. We have four children, so we understand that children are not always controllable, but we are out on a date to escape those sounds. It only happened once and then all was well, but it did seem out of place to have children at a more date night type of place.

SERVICE

Nothing special. Our waiter was kind of boring and just "phoning it in".

SYNOPSIS:

For the two of us, it was $38.50 plus tip and valet tip (two cocktails, one beer, two happy hour food items, and dessert.) It adds up to being a little too rich for our wallet and not sure we will ever go back. There are other places that we prefer more for about the same price or less. (Flemming's 5 for 6 'till 7 Happy Hour or Postino on Central's Monday/Tuesday $20 bruschetta/wine special) I think if we do go back, we probably will just go for the Santa Rosa cocktail and Oak Creek Amber beer. ;-)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The atmosphere is nice. The pig dip sandwich not only tastes great but is huge. Come with a large appetite or you will find yourself needing a to-go box. The sticky toffee pudding is out of this world.

There appeared to be no where to park other than to use the valet. It would be nice not to have to valet since the they move the car to a parking space within feet of you and the restaurant. The outdoor seating is a plus, however most are half bench/half chair tables putting you very close to the next group of diners.

2  Thank John T