“Good Room but "energy saver A/C" was not cool enough” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South
Ranked #2 of 178 Hotels in Phoenix
New York
“Good Room but "energy saver A/C" was not cool enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Arrived in Phoenix late at night as the first stop on a 10 day multi-state/city tour. Some good and some bad about the stay.

LOCATION

The location of this hotel was great for us after a 5 1/2 hour flight arriving at nearly 11pm local time. The hotel is about 5 minutes from Phoenix Airport, which worked out well since I did not have to take a long drive after a long flight. Phoenix is very spread out and this area did not have much to it...almost seemed like it was a hotel in the middle of an office park. Then again it could have just been the fact that it was dark, late, and was tired from a long flight. We did drive to the bars near ASU which was a very short drive and a good location if you want to be close to the action without being in the middle of it (better off considering the number of fights we saw around the strip of bars).

ROOM, PRICE, CLEANLINESS and COMFORT

The price of the room was about $134 (without tax and with my AAA discount). We got a two (2) room suite which contained a small kitchen to the right as soon as you walk in, then a small living room with pull out sofa as you walk forward and then a separate bedroom with two (2) queen beds. It was a bit small but we were only in that hotel for one night so it was fine. The rooms were very clean and the bathrooms were spotless also. The queen beds were very comfortable, but the sleeper sofa was your average sleeper sofa (not very comfortable).

My biggest knock on the hotel was the A/C. Seems like many hotels are "regulating" the use of A/C to save money. This is the WRONG place to be cutting corners. June in Phoenix when it is 109 degrees is not acceptable to regulate the A/C. Even if you put the thermostat down to 65 or 60 or 50...the A/C NEVER cools off the room below 67 degrees. This was the only hotel that has this problem in my 10 day vacation. I should not have to use the ceiling fan in the bedroom on HIGH to stay cool when there is an A/C. VERY disappointed with this.

BREAKFAST and OTHER AMENITIES

Breakfast was included in our room price but we never got up for it. So I am sorry to say I cannot give a review on the breakfast, but can tell you that the people were nice and the bill was under the door the following morning. It was also nice that there was plenty of parking and the hotel does NOT charge per day for a parking fee. We did not stay long enough to notice the other amenities of the place.

Although the price was right and the location was in a nice safe area, I do not believe I would be back at this hotel unless it was the winter or fall months. With the A/C frozen on 67 no matter what, it is not a very comfortable place to be in the Spring or Summer. If they let you actually use the A/C to suit your comfort, then I would go back, but I don't see that happening and would stand by my original comment of only using this place when A/C is not needed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed here near the airport for my return flight. I had the best feather pillows anywhere, just like home. The room was a pool view and large. I bought some snacks from the hotel mini store and ate in my room.

Superior, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Friendliness of front desk staff was outstanding.. Cleanliness of room, kitchen and bath was fantastic.. Having a first floor room with the high ceilings made it feel more like staying at home. Comfort of the bed and linens was exceptional. Complimentary breakfast choices was very good and super convenient.. Decent parking, lots of lighting and the outside grounds were well kept..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Raleigh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is a good brand for my needs (business or otherwise). And at least in my experience on this trip, staff was very generous and helpful. Rooms were reasonably clean and king bed did not cause restlessness. Both breakfast and dinner offerings were consistent and decent for a complimentary meal. Ten minutes from PHX and close to Tempe where my work took me. Not many grocery or restaurant amenities in short walking distance, but there options within a few miles.

San Diego, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Linens were clean, room was big being that it was a suite. I only stayed one night but it would have been convenient to stay for a week and not feel like I was 'stuck' in a hotel room. If this continues to stay clean and well run like it is I'd suggest it to anyone needing a place to stay (not looking for a resort.) Great friendly staff.

nashua, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had a great stay at the Homewood suite in phoenix. good location and great restaurants close. good food for dinner and breakfast. Used the pool and hot tub and everything was great. Would stay again if given the opportunity.

San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

The rooms were very clean and comfortably sized. It was decorated nicely, The air conditioning unit was VERY noisy. If you are a light sleeper it'll wake you up when it cycles on and off. The bed was not very comfortable....it was the type of mattress where if one person moves so does the other.
The hotel layout is confusing. The elevator is quite a distance from the check-in area and there are no signs to the elevator. I noticed on the fourth floor there is a sign showing an elevator but on the ground floor there is no sign indicating where the elevator is. To get to the elevator you have to go down the hall, turn left and turn left again (basically a U shape route) but it needs to be marked better.
I had a Do Not Disturb sign on our door. At 9 :30 am housekeeping knocked on our door and asked if we wanted service. I did not go to the door but asked loudly if they could come back later. Our door opened and the maid was standing in the doorway. I was not dressed to receive visitors. I explained to the maid that my husband was still at the airport and would not be back for an hour or so. I asked her if she could return in an hour and half or later as he needed to shower, etc.when he returned. She said "no problem." Well to make a long story, short, we returned to our room at 10 p.m. to find that housekeeping did not return to our room to service it at all. The trash was still in the room along with dirty towels, etc. My husband went down to the front desk and asked for towels, etc. The person at the desk never apologized or asked what he could do to help....in short, he could have cared less. Housekeeping did bring our towels up within ten minutes.
When we went down for breakfast the first morning it was chaotic. They were low on food even though breakfast was to last for at least another hour. I asked the server if they had any plain bagels. She replied yes but I would have to wait as they were short handed. She was very nice but totally overwhelmed as she was the only worker on duty. She indicated that she had volunteered to work on the holiday weekend but expected additional help. We were disappointed that there was not a waffle station as the check-in person had indicated there would be when we checked in. The breakfast was disappointing to say the least. The next morning the breakfast was even more dismal. The eggs were cold and the hash browns lifeless. Again no waffles. We asked at the front desk and were told there were none yesterday as waffles are not on the weekend menu. I said "well today is Monday." He said "yes, that is true but it is a holiday." I said can I expect waffles tomorrow then, and he said "no, the waffle maker is broken." So in short, no matter what day it was, we were not going to have waffles as the waffle maker was broken. It would have been nice to just be honest and tell us it was broken, regardless of the day.
Even though it is prominently displayed on the counter that they "will make it right" at no time did any of the workers attempt to make it right. They simply said they would tell the manager. I stayed at this hotel based on the reviews I read on Trip Advisor and this is the first time I have felt let down by reviewers.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony.