“Great family hike :)” 5 of 5 bubbles

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great family hike :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went with our two boys- 5 and 8- and had a great time. Easy to find and access. Not too crowded at early afternoon. It was challenging for us tourists, but not too hard. The guys all made it to the top, I made it about 3/4- but am 6 months pregnant:)
Bring water and know that even in winter it gets hot.
The boys loved being 'mountain climbers'!

clayton Missouri
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Wonderful day hikes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

we went up blue 200 to 202 I believe and on to Quartz ridge. Fairly steep elevation climb but very doable for an average hiker. Ther are many trails there and this place is very popular and I can see why; great views and peace and quiet.

2 Thank dadatwork40
Los Angeles, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“What better way to see Phoenix”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I grew up in Phoenix but have lived in Ca for 20+ years. Climbed Piestewa (it will still always be Squaw Peak to me) with my daughters 9 & 11, my sister and her kids. It was difficult for my 9 year old but she made it to the top. There were a lot of people on the mountain because of the holidays. A must do in Phoenix if you are looking for some outdoor fun (especially in the winter). Take a bottle of water with you will need it. Takes about 90-120 minutes up and back.

Phoenix, Arizona
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Hike for free with City views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I hike this every once in a while and always take out of town visitors. The views are wonderful and it is free to hike here. The walk up is steep and I have seen several helicopters have to airlift someone out of there because of falling on the rocks or heart attack, so if you are not used to hiking I would take it slow, despite the very crazy people who are running up and down this trek. It is a pretty strenuous hike -- about 45 min to an hour up to the peak at least and usually kind of crowded. I have seen the firefighters work out here, so you know it is tough. There are places to stop, breathe and take in views along the way though and if you don't want to do the peak, there are other trails around the area we have taken little kids on.
The etiquette for parking is you get in line at the main entrance if there is one and you don't cut. The regulars can get pretty testy about this. For some it is a weekly workout.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“good hike!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a great place to hike...for actual exercise. I would not put this in a "beginners" category, but definitely do-able if you can take your time and have water. There are designated paths, but they are not paved, which I appreciate. If you are going for exercise, you may want to go at a less busy time as the paths get a little crowded. Parking is a bit of a challenge, but I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes.

Visited August 2013