“Best Margarita Ever!”

Sierra Bonita Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Sierra Bonita Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 3,161 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 7th St & Glendale Ave.
Description: The Sierra Bonita Grill is named after the historic Sierra Bonita Ranch in South Eastern Arizona. Founded by Henry Hooker in 1872, the Sierra Bonita Ranch was known for it’s hospitality and innovative ranching methods. We would like to celebrate the spirit represented by Mr. Hooker and other pioneer ranches throughout Arizona with our restaurant and hope to continue the tradition of great food and hospitality. Our menu reflects the hearty cooking style of Southern Arizona ranches, many of which were started by Spanish and Mexican families. We will continue to explore the ongoing Mexican and Latin influences on this area’s culture and food. Patio seating available to accommodate 30 people.
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went with some friends for a going away party in the late afternoon and just happened to make "Happy Hour" the servers were laid back and cool, almost nonchalant but still proficient. The food was very good and like the title says the margarita was excellent. I can't wait to go back. The location may not be what some people are looking for but this restaurant is the definitely on my return list!

jfpphoenix, Public Relations Manager at Sierra Bonita Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Breezzee...We're glad that you enjoyed our Margaritas...Our bartenders make some of the best drinks in town so you'll have to give some of the other drinks a try next time,

Thanks for taking time to let us know about your experience.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I, visitors to Phoenix, went here for his birthday, hoping for an authentic taste of the southwest. We were not disappointed.

Atmosphere was bustling and buzzy - obviously a local favourite.

Server was very attentive and provided a little special extra at dessert to mark the birthday.

Food was delicious - spicy for my husband on request, and less so for me, also as requested.

A great success - can't wait to go back!

We're glad that you decided to enjoy your husband's birthday with us! We work hard to provide a great Southwestern experience and we're glad that you appreciated it.

Please come hack and see us for your birthday :-) if you are in Phoenix.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

As native Arizonans, we often prefer hole-in-wall Mexican restaurants with great authentic food. That said, we often enjoy a variety of other cuisines, gourmet restaurants and many things in between.

This was a very good blend of the many things we enjoy. The green chili was great, as was the sangria.

The prime rib sandwich special with sautéed onions was excellent and filling. I shared part of it with my husband. The bread/bun for the sandwich tasted home baked by a real pro. Skinny fries were crisp and not greasy.

My husband's Southwestern Cobb salad with Poblano Ranch dressing was very fresh and included avocado, carne asada, bacon, spinach, and assorted greens....among other treats. It was served with the biscuit of the day which was a green chili biscuit. The salad was so large that I finished my meal before he did......a 25 year first.

I glanced at the dessert menu (just so I could tell you what they had, of course) but could not pass up the Buttermilk Pie with caramel sauce. It was wonderful unless you are a supertaster who dislikes anything too sweet. The had several other goodies including Bread pudding and Gelato Trio.

The green chili pasta was good, but not quite as good as The Roaring Fork had the last time I was there.

Charming fellow was our server in the "patio." This was a great idea in hot or cold climates. It is fully enclosed and air conditioned, but has the feel of an old, Mexican outside ramada. Everyone should try Sierra Bonita Grill at least once.

retiredandready

Thanks for such a nice review for Sierra Bonita...We're thrilled that you gave us a shot. We try hard to be true and authentic to our root here in Arizona my combining lots of flavors and tastes of the southwest.

Glad you enjoyed the desserts. Not everyone saves room, but they really are wonderful.

Please stop back and see us again when you have a chance.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had dinner with 16 of my friends here on April 25th. The coordinator for our group had called ahead for the reservation and they used a limited menu with about five choices. They put us in the basement in one of their banquet rooms. I had the Carne Asada and the charge for this was $24. To be honest, the carne asada was tough when it arrived and not that hot. I have enjoyed much better in other Southwestern restuarants.

What really ruined the evening was that my total bill was $37.99 after tax and gratuity. That is a 44% tip. Our group questioned one of the servers and we were told that they charge you $100 per server for a group or 18%, whichever is MORE. So, our group of 17 had the $200 charge divided between us, regardless of however much your bill was. The manager's excuse was that they didn't know how to divide it up between the 17 of us. So, I had to pay the same 11.63 tip on my $24 ticket as another in our party who had bought an expensive bottle of wine.

I really don't believe that we were the first group they have hosted. I travel frequently and often have groups of 8 or more join up for a meal. This is the first time I have ever seen a $100 per waiter mimimum tip assessed for having a group.

jfpphoenix, Public Relations Manager at Sierra Bonita Grill, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

We would like to clear up some of the things that you have stated in your review of your recent visit to Sierra Bonita Grill.

When your party was reserved in a private room, we were told that there would be 25 people. Our policy on our private dining area is to provide a designated server(s) for your party. With parties up to 20 guests, there is only one server, but since the reservation was for 25, we staffed it with two servers.

You are correct in the $100 per server minimum. Therefore the $200 is correct. One to the unique features about booking at Sierra Bonita Grill, unlike MANY other restaurants in Phoenix, is that we do not have a special private room charge. Therefore the only charge is the $100/server or the 18%. Again, it is industry standard to have a 18% gratuity on large parties.

Since there was a $200 charge, I'm not sure how you think the charge should have been divided. It was not a percentage, it was a flat fee. So in order cover the cost, I'm not sure what you would have suggested.

If the full reservation of 25 would have shown up as initially reserved, the gratuity would have been divided differently within your group.

We apologize for what you feel was a an unfair charge, but we addressed all of the issues up front with the event planner and executed the event as our policy states.

Nate Hopper
Owner

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Very good atmosphere but I thought very average and not what I was hoping for. I like my food very spicey so that might have somthing to do with it.

64kkt,

Next time you visit, please let our servers know that you like a little extra kick and we'll make sure the kitchen makes it to your liking.