“Waste of Time for Kids and Parents Alike”

Arizona Science Center
Sunset and City Lights Aerial Tour of Phoenix
Ranked #36 of 238 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of Downtown Phoenix, Arizona Science Center has been a hub for science and discovery for the community and visitors. The Center features more than 300 hands-on exhibit, live demonstrations, a state-of the art Dorrance Planetarium, a five-story IMAX(R) theater, and newly opened, CREATE at Arizona Science Center - a place where science, design and engineering collide!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 17, 2009

This is simply a horrible, lousy, God-awful museum. I had high hopes - I am a scientist. This museum successfully manages to simultaneously really teach absolutely nothing and make science MORE boring than school did. Most "interactive" exhibits were hardly so, or hardly interesting to kids, adults, or in-between.

I have been to a few science centers in different cities. This one pales in comparison.

I'd have gladly spent the money on something that resembled decent. Go to the Children's Museum instead!

8  Thank KevinPHX
in 10 reviews
"special exhibit"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed October 13, 2009

I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed and disgusted I was when I re-visited the Arizona Science Center a few weeks ago with my 5-year old son. I first visited the science center in 1990 when I moved to Phoenix at 20. It was located on the bottom floor of a downtown building at the time. Even then, the exhibits were old-fashioned and in crappy condition -- I thought it was a joke. Now they've just moved the same hum-drum "science" exhibits to a shiny new building. Sure, there are a few new ones, but they too are mind-numbingly boring. The first room is "Many Hands Make a Home" that covers how a home is built. Wow, you can see the pvc plumbing. And that toilet cut in half, my God! Amazing! The only thing keeping one's attention in that room is a huge aerial picture of Phoenix and everyone finding their house on it. Big whoop. So I'm hoping it gets better as we enter the "Psychology" and "All About You" areas. I'm going through a kind of deja-vu because I remember a lot of these exhibits from 1990!!! OMG, tons of reading -- this doesn't work with kids under 10 people!!! I was pissed, got my money back, then left. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE FOR ANYONE WITH CHILDREN UNDER 10 OR ANYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN!!! GO TO THE KID'S MUSEUM ACROSS THE STREET!!!

4  Thank beebers
Reviewed June 15, 2009

The science center may be a great place to go for adults and kids alike but it is just way to expensive. General admission is 12$ for adults and 10$ for kids thats $44 dollars for a family of four just for the general exhibits! That does not include special exhibitions, which usually end up running 24$ for adults and 22$ for children! You also have the imax and planetarium shows which is 8 dollars more for adults and 7 more for kids. Every little thing at the science center cost extra money! It's like going to disney land but in this case not worth the money. The sky cycle costs more, the rock wall even for members. There was a time when things were free for members who pay a high annual fee ranging from 70 dollars to 130 dollars. Another point to mention is that their management is horrible, I waited for almost a half hour just to talk to a manager, was I compensated? No. The conditions the employees have to work with are also terrible, this poor elderly lady probably in her 70's or 80's had to stand the entire day I noticed to try and sell concessions. Every other worker also has to stand all day I noticed and they are practically forced to try and sell you things like the sky cycle, its like going to a car dealership and dealing with salesmen. It is a shame that the science center was once a great and affordable place for people to go to but now its one of the most expensive museums in the state. You might as well just take the kids over to the children's museum instead right across the street there prices are much more fair.

3  Thank JCismysaviro13
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Although I am in my early 20's, my dad took me to see an exhibit on my beloved books, Chronicles of Narnia. Some employees were totally enthusiastic about it, and some were not, but that was to be expected! They do offer military discounts! We walked around after, and it looked like a lot of fun for the younger generation. I was upset I couldn't take any pictures inside, but I can understand why...