“Learning fun was a blast for kids!”

Arizona Science Center
Sunset and City Lights Aerial Tour of Phoenix
Ranked #15 of 230 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of Downtown Phoenix, Arizona Science Center has been a hub for science and discovery for the community and visitors. The Center features more than 300 hands-on exhibit, live demonstrations, a state-of the art Dorrance Planetarium, a five-story IMAX(R) theater, and newly opened, CREATE at Arizona Science Center - a place where science, design and engineering collide!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We love visiting museums when we tag along with geologist hubby on his business trips. You can't beat hands on for learning and this place was full of hands on exhibits that had the kids fascinated.

The outdoor water area is a wonderful mix of engineering, music, and water play. You adjust the levers and send balls racing around...and experiment with how they move through the cool exhibit. We could have stayed here the whole time!

My personal favorite was all about the body. There was a HUGE nose that you could tickle and it would sneeze. (Sounds gross I know, but my 7 year old boy thought it was the greatest thing ever!! ) You could hear your heart beat by putting your hands on discs...then you would exercise and listen again to hear it speed up. The kids had lots of fun in wheelchair races. The wheelchairs are set up on rollers so they don't actually move and a screen helps you keep track of the speed and how much longer in the race. Judging by all the huffing and puffing it is a LOT harder than it looks!

Another room was all about building. There was information on how a house is built and an exhibit to see in to the walls of a home. One area had you build your house out of small blocks and then simulate an earthquake to see if it would stand. A plumbing section show you how to route the water to a faucet.

We barely scratched the surface of this amazing museum. I hope we get to go back. I highly recommend it!

There are newer reviews for Arizona Science Center

Reviewed April 20, 2014

This place was amazing. I went on a school trip, so I got a discount, but it is usually very expensive. it requires a lot of time, so get there at opening and stay until it closes.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

A great place to visit, especially with children. Lots of hands on things to do and it's so educational as well as fun. Went there on a rainy day and it filled the day with wonder.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited the the Science center recently as something to do with my girlfriend. We spent at least two hours, if not three, playing and learning. The staff was smiling and looked like they really enjoyed their jobs. When we were curious about something not in the descriptions the staff was oozing with excitement to teach us. Their passion was noticeable and appreciated. We will be anxiously awaiting any new exhibits or upcoming events.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The only reason I visit this place is to see the iMax shows, which are good. The Center, itself, is very low-key, very much for the delight of children.