“Must see in Phoenix, Az”
Review of Hole in the Rock

Hole in the Rock
Ranked #14 of 230 things to do in Phoenix
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Hole in the Rock is a must see in Phoenix, Arizona.
Close to the Phoenix Zoo and few minutes away from the Phoenix Airport, you can park really close to the hole. The climbing is not hard at all, an you can easily reach the hole.
I recommend going there and watching the sunset or even the sunrise. This was my last sightseeing there, and I watched the sunset prior going to the airport on my way back to Brazil.
The view was amazing, really inspiring prior flying back home.

2  Thank MartinezPupoOliveira
There are newer reviews for Hole in the Rock

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I grew up just a few miles from Hole in the Rock and when I pass by on McDowell Rd or near the buttes it always makes me smile. I have fond memories of this place long before their were picnic tables and a fish pond. It backs up to the Phoenix Zoo as well so seeing some unusual wildlife is not out of the ordinary. If you're from out of state you have to remember our parks in Arizona are not like those anywhere else. This is desert! It is dirt, it is gravel, and we love it. It's an easy hike up to the view of the hole with children and tons of room to run and play but there is no grass we do that on purpose. All the grass goes to golf courses around Phoenix! When I was a teen it was the hot spot for "make out" parking until the park ranger would chase you out. It's a beautiful view and it's clean and well kept. Make a day of it with a picnic and then go visit the beautiful Phoenix Zoo.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

An easy hike up from the parking lot. The views are really nice... best around sunset. Be sure to take water with you (always, here in the desert), and don't forget your camera!! Photo ops are great!

2  Thank azlynn58
Reviewed October 6, 2013

After reading the reviews on here, I think I was a little overly confident. This is a brief hike, but you'll still be climbing. Be sure to wear sensible shoes and take baby steps when necessary! I managed to ignore the latter and fell on my bum. Luckily there were some pleasant hikers nearby to help me up. And as other posters have noted, this can be a challenge to find. But an employee at the Desert Botanical Gardens explained it to me this way - head toward the Zoo, but take a left turn just before you reach its parking lot. This path is not marked, but once you're on it, you'll be fine. The view truly is impressive - don't miss out on this free, remarkable attraction!

2  Thank capitolcollector2009
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was a very easy hike. Trail was well maintained and clean. I am not in good shape at all and had no problems. The view is totally worth taking the time to see.

1  Thank Penny M