“Perfect Side Excursion!”
Review of Hole in the Rock

Hole in the Rock
Ranked #14 of 233 things to do in Phoenix
Reviewed April 3, 2013

No matter what brings you to Phoenix, this is a nice side activity that will appeal to most everyone. Features interesting geological, and historical attractions

We drove from the East Valley in less than 30 minutes on the 202, and spent an hour hiking, climbing, exploring. I took the easy trail around and did some photography. The kids climbed the face (mild to moderate bouldering exposure) and we met in the hole in the rock.

On a layover at the airport? You can get here by taxi for less than $30, grab some sunshine, great views, and ancient HoHokam culture.Phoenix zoo is a few steps away, as well as ramadas for picnics.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stopped here on the way out to Sedona, and I'm glad we did. The view was spectacular. The hike up to the hole in the rock was easy, and the path had stairs carved into it as well. Once on top you had a nice view of camping areas, the zoo and a distant view of down town Phoenix. We went in the morning, so the sun cast a cool relaxing shadow over the viewing area on top. I am glad we went and would go again.

Also, the entrance to Hole in the Rock is off of the same road as the Zoo entrance. If you are taking a trip to the Zoo, this can be a quick side trip that is certainly worth it.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were in Phoenix as part of a weeklong roundabout of Arizona/Nevada. We had a few minutes and decided to go lok at the Hole in the Rock. Don't be frightened when you see it from the parking lot. There's a relativeley easy walk up the backside (even for a 50 year old fat man), Great view, great picture op, my 13 and 11 year old loved it. Wear tennis shoes or hiking boots and it's well worth spending the hour it takes from the time you get off the freeway until you are back on it.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Great view of the city. Fairly easy walk. A great free thing to do. Close to other things to do. This was a great stop on our trip to Phoenix.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is great FREE outing for kids and adults. This hike does have areas that are challenging for youngsters (3-5 years old) but my 3 year old son, as well as my other 2 kids (7 & 12) and they all enjoyed it! I would wear running/tennis shoes cause this somewhat of a steep hike. The Botanical Gardens and Phoenix Zoo are off the same street/parking area. If you don't mind the walking, I would suggest taking the Light Rail Train that takes you into downtown Phoenix which is not to far down the road. (All day pass was only $4 for adults.)