“A Solid Breakfast for the Masses”
Review of Over Easy

Over Easy
Ranked #164 of 3,188 Restaurants in Phoenix
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Camelback East
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I saw Over Easy on Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives and made it a point to go there because the host reviewed country fried steak (which is one of my favorites things to eat for breakfast). It appears to be an old Taco Bell which was coverted into a diner, with an added-on patio in front. The inside was very small, about 3 to 4 seat on each side of the counter, which is split down the middle and a few two-person tables behind them. The outside patio offers more seating for families with kids and larger groups. The staff was very friendly and the place felt very inviting despite its origins (again, I think it used to be a Taco Bell) and quickly started enjoying good conversations with the customers to the left and right of me. The country fried steak arrived and was very good. It's a complex dish, with each ingredient being good on its own being good (the steak, topped with gravy, then two eggs, over easy) in addition to the potatoes. However, the trick was, and I believe the chef intended it this way, was to eat all the components together, not separated. All together, it was one of the best country fried steaks I've had. Great flavors! Good service, fast and efficient despite their regulars and newbs alike. I would highly recommend a stop at the Over Easy in Phoenix for a solid breakfast by yourself or with your family.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Just the type of place I love to find, especially when traveling. Great food, good atmosphere, and fun, creative menu items and specials (along with all the basics you'd expect). Wish I could come back over the next several days to try more!

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Saw this place on DDD and listed as one of the top places for breakfast in Phoenix, and it did not disappoint! Had the wolf pack with goat cheese (no bacon) and it was great! Waitress described it as a breakfast sandwich without the bread. Small out of the way place, but worth it

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Passing through Phoenix at breakfast time and decided to give it a try after having seen it on DDD. We were not disappointed...it was as good as advertised. I had the breakfast burrito and my wife had an omelet and we both enjoyed our meal. Great service and fast....we was in and out in 30 to 45 minutes.

1  Thank Dawgy-Bill
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Weekend mornings will find patrons waiting in line for a table at this local favorite. Why? I really have no idea. I had high hopes for this place because it’s had rave reviews from local food critics, written up in magazines and featured on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. But I was not impressed.

The coffee was good, not outstanding. The atmosphere was, well…odd. Nice if you like upside-down children’s umbrellas.

The Mediterranean omelet (w/ spinach, tomato, garlic & Feta) sounded good. Wow – garlic should have been listed as the 1st ingredient – I like garlic but this was WAY too overpowering. The omelet itself was overcooked at the edges and since my taste buds were overwhelmed by the garlic, I can’t really tell you if the omelet itself was flavorful. Big disappointment.

Crying Pig omelet was selected by a meat lover in our group. He said it was flavorful and had a fair amount of bacon & sausage. Again, the omelet was a bit overcooked, especially around the edges, and was a bit dry, too.

Not too many places have corned beef hash on the menu, so our friend jumped at the chance. He ordered it w/eggs AND a side of gravy. He absolutely loved it. Now, take that with a grain of salt as he always loves everything – but he was sincere in saying it was delicious so I believe him.

For a restaurant that specializes in breakfast fare, I expected more. Would I go back? Potentially. However there are so many other choices in the Valley that it may be a long time before I circle back.