“This place has really gone downhill”

Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St.
Ranked #132 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I'm really shocked at this location's demise. This is the fourth straight year we've booked this hotel and it's just an awful departure from last year's standard of excellence. The litany of issues read like a Russian novel. 1-Smoking in a non-smoking room, no attempt to remediate. It just stank. How does any employee think that it is acceptable? 2-stains on the wall and ceiling. 3-Floors absolutely filthy. 4-Carpet is completely disgustingly filthy. Words cannot describe the condition it was in. 5-Mold and stains in the tub and tub surround. 6-Kitchen missing numerous essential items. I've read the other reviews on this site, and I sadly don't believe management is up to the task as all I've read was the repeated "...we'll meet with the staff and train them better...." I'm posting some pix, take a good look.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Greg H
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the level of cleanliness and the odors in your room. Please know, I am working with our entire staff to improve our cleaning procedures so that this issue does not affect future guests. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me at tavena@extendedstay.com

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

First room (non-smoking) was not non-smoking. Replacement room door would not latch. Room not clean (mold under sink). Bathroom fan shrieked. Hole in one wall not repaired. Other tenants in hotel up all night, making noise, sitting in cars (running) in parking lot outside our door, cursing at each other, spitting off the balcony upstairs, etc. etc. Felt unsafe! Room furniture included a fold out couch that we needed to make into a bed. It was filthy when we opened it up, and there were no bed linens for it. It would not open completely, so would not flatten out. Just a horrible excuse for a convertible bed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sweetcheeks16
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room, maintenance issues and the smells you experienced during your stay with us. I will meet with our entire staff to review our cleaning procedures, maintenance policies and guest protocol to ensure your experience is not repeated. Also, the feedback you provided regarding our hotel bedding will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotels. Please feel free to contact me directly, at pat@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions.

Again, thanks for the comments. We do hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better experience in the near future.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

When I booked this stay, I was encouraged by favorable reviews by others. However, as soon as we walked into the room it was clear that this property is only acceptable if you don't mind that every surface in your room is sticky, slimy or crusty. We grabbed a canister of Clorox wipes from the car before unpacking and were astonished by the black filth we picked up from the countertops, shower surfaces and kitchen area. The stains on the towels were horrifying. There is a sign in the kitchen that says the cooking utensils are cleaned per the hotel standards, but they are not sanitized per county health requirements (**warning**) There were visible bits of cooked egg still stuck to the spatula in the kitchen drawer. Even the cold water came out of the kitchen tap cloudy.

Our non-smoking room had a musty smell which was explained when we saw the housekeeping staff going room to room with a lit cigarette clenched between her lips.

Don't book your stay here until they have completed their renovation and re-trained their staff on proper housekeeping.

Room Tip: It was clear they are in the process of major renovations, Be sure to request one of the newer room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mkbATL

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. My sincerest apologies for the level of cleanliness in your room and smells that you experienced during your stay with us. I am working with the entire staff to improve our cleaning procedures so that your experience is not repeated. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at pat@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this issue any further.

Again, your feedback is greatly appreciated. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Upon check in we asked the attendant (Jared)what the condition of the room was. They said they just cleaned the carpet last week and the towels and sheets were fresh. LIED!!! The carpet was so dirty that I never took my shoes off. So we left for dinner and didn't worry about it to much. Well we should have. Got back to take a shower that had black mold in it and was also dirty so i took shower with my flip flops on. Since I was super tired my husband said don't worry it's just for one night. Ok. Got ready for bed and the sheets had dots of BLOOD on them along with hair. GROSS!!! Since it was too late and we had a couple of drinks we couldn't drive home. So we called to the main desk asking for new sheets and pillow cases and after a 20 minute wait, we walked to the front. I didn't go inside with my husband to check in so I didn't know who the staff was. They were dressed very unprofessional and I couldn't tell who worked here and who was a guest. They need clean uniforms. They "filed" my complaints nod said that I should speak with the manager in the morning. I asked if they had another room she said no they were overbooked which I find hard to believe considering five rooms next to us were available. We remade the bed ourselves and I went to sleep fully clothed. This is the nastiest hotel I ever stayed in and I travel a lot. I don't care about everything being outdated but I do care about cleanliness. I have pictures that I would love to send to you and I will be sending this to the board of health. My husband works for the State of AZ and I work for Mariocpa county this will be reported. I will never stay in another extended stay again!! I can't believe that as a nation chain corporate allowed this hotel to exist. Totally ruined our valentines day evening!!! By the way our room was a upgrade. I hate to see the other room we were supposed to get. We noticed the the pullout couch had no sheets a water bottle under it and a large piece of gum stuck to it. Just nasty!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Don'tplay
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. The conditions you described are regrettable and are not representative of our company and our standards. I truly apologize for your experience. We have passed your comments on to our upper management and are taking the necessary steps to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that we will have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend and at first it seems nice till the next morning there was a smell of pet urine on the bed and carpet, The bathroom shower was very dirty, the kitchen utility's were dirty and the parking spaces are way to close to one another someone backed into my car n left a dent there are no cameras watching the parking lot it's just a horrible place to stay I'll NEVER stay here again

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angeleyes7311
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that you experienced cleanliness and parking issues. Please accept my apology. To prevent this from happening again, my team is going to increase our deep cleaning carpet schedule and look into maximizing our parking spaces.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at pat@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations in the future.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

As a frequent traveler, I spend a great deal of time in hotels. Until now, my favorite choice of accommodations has been Extended Stay America. The horrible overall experience I had at the E. Oak Street property was enough to change my feelings on this brand. The manager,Dione,was the most abrasive and apathetic individual I have ever dealt with at Extended Stay America hotels. My room was extremely filthy with rotting food still on the plates in the cabinet. The smell of this room was akin to a garbage dump and the dishwasher flooded the kitchen floor when I washed the dirty dishes. When I calmly requested another room, my request was COMPLETELY ignored. BEWARE THIS PROPERTY! Your money is too important to waste on abusive,apathetic hotel staff. Word to the wise: AVOID this property at all costs!

Room Tip: Beware this property!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Jamie M
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport - E. Oak St., responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Jamie - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The issues regarding the cleanliness of your room and staff response you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. Please know, I am working with our staff to improve our cleaning procedures and inspection policies. As well, I am coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service moving forward.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at pat@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Room is old and old carpets are stained, but for the price this is easily overlooked. However, the cigarette smell in the non-smoking room is unbearable. I write this review at 5am because I cannot take this smell in my lungs and throat any longer and will be checking out in a few minutes. The price is very low but you actually get less than you pay for. TOO MANY APOLOGIES BY THE MANAGER ON THIS WEBSITE SHOULD WARN YOU - PAY A FEW DOLLARS MORE AND STAY ELSEWHERE....PLENTY OF OPTIONS NEARBY. Manager apologies listed on this website review post lead to one thing; they know this hotel is a challenge and there is absolutely nothing they can do but say "we are sorry". Just spend your hard-earned money somewhere else.

Room Tip: Nothing to offer - I used a whole can of Fabreze in an attempt to remove this smoke smell - it did n...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family