“Almost great, but lacking in important areas”

Red Roof Inn Phoenix North - Bell Road
Ranked #84 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 14, 2010

It pains me to only give these folks an "average" rating, because they're really quite good in many areas. The hotel itself was clean and well maintained, the room equally so; the front desk staff was cheerful, friendly and helpful (both coming and going, something of a rarity when you check in late); the room and bathroom surprisingly spacious; the rooms well-insulated from highway noise. If these are the factors that are important to you, it's likely to be well worth your money to stay there.

Unfortunately, for us these efforts were overshadowed by a couple of significant negatives. The first and biggest one - the beds were rock-hard! I realize some people prefer firmer mattresses, and I usually have a pretty wide range of tolerance, but these were seriously only half a step up from sleeping on the floor. I kept trying (and failing) to get comfortable - once I even woke up with half my ribcage numb from lack of circulation! I'm very glad we were only staying there the one night, because if it had been longer I would've broken the reservation and found another hotel. I can forgive a lot of things, but the whole point of staying at a hotel is to be more comfortable than you would be, say, sleeping in your car - which I thought about doing that night.

The other major negative for us was the wireless Internet access. My husband and I are true Internet geeks, so free wi-fi availability is important to us in choosing a hotel. To their credit, there was wi-fi and it was complimentary - but it was through T-Mobile's service and you needed a PIN from the front desk to log in, and they would only give you one per room. I realize that not every family sits around at their separate laptops for hours like my husband and I do, and it wasn't a great inconvenience for one night (fortunately I'd brought a book as well), but only being able to put one computer online when the hotel had advertised unrestricted free wi-fi was quite frustrating for us.

A lot of the frustration really stemmed from the price point - if this had been, say, a $40 a night hotel, I would've accepted the downsides and been more pleased with what they did right. But we paid $70 for a double-full-bed room for two people - more like $85 with taxes and fees tossed in. So the aforementioned issues, coupled with a few smaller problems like a single shampoo packet (no bottles, and no conditioner available - I asked) and a complete lack of even an attempt at a breakfast, really stood out. I didn't feel like I'd gotten my money's worth at all. I really do hate saying this because this hotel had some of the friendliest service and nicer rooms I've seen, but unless you regularly sleep on the floor of your house because your bed is too soft, I honestly can't recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roseneko

Reviewed February 22, 2010

When we arrived we received great service. The staff was very pleasant, room was nice, clean, comfortable and a great price! I will definately stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Very friendly staff, always helpful no matter the hour. Rooms are well cleaned including the bathroom. Walking distance to various restaurants, grocery store and movie theaters. Will return to this location, and plan to use the pool next time weather allowing!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Every once in a while when we have company and the house is full my husband and i give up our bed and head for the Red roof Inn on Bell Rd. and I-17. The rooms are quiet and clean, the staff is very friendly, the location is close to restaurants,grocery stores, gas stations,and more. We live less than 15 minutes away and sometimes we stay here just to takae a brake and be alone. And yes, it is very enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2009

Thhis is a budget hotel so you get what you pay for. It was clean and close to amenities. The lady who checked us in was very polite and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2009

The staff was absolutely great and the value for the price was phenominal. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Phoenixarea. The hotel was located very close to all of the attractions our family wanted to visit. Thank You Red Roof Inn for making our family holiday the greatest Thanksgiving yet.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I traveled to Phoenix for a business trip in North Phoenix. A friend recommended this Red Roof Inn. He told me he used inn for years and knew GM and staff. I met GM who has been there for years. He was outgoing and knew Phoenix well. I was in a room with a king size bed that offered wireless access and had a little fridge and microwave. It was perfect for me. I thanked my friend and would suggest this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business