“Two words- . . . . ."BED BUGS" !”

Red Roof Inn Phoenix North - Bell Road
Ranked #86 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Denver, CO area
“Two words- . . . . ."BED BUGS" !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

First, look at my profile, I give good ratings on good properties and do NOT make false accusations!
I was flown into town on the evening of 04/20/2012 to stay at this Red Roof Inn and leave in the morning to drive a dear friend to Colorado. I arrived and after retrieving her car and the rental truck, we arrived at this hotel at 10:40p ( I looked on my caller ID). She got the key to our room and we went straight to the local Applebees to eat so as not to waste any time. When we got over to the hotel at about 11:50, passed the 6-12 "locals" out drinking in the lawn near the pool, we entered our room and my friend jokingly said, "In a place like this, we ought to check for bedbugs" and we both laughed ( I had never seen them but have seen shows on tv where they talk about hotel infestations). I walked over to the bed I felt was "mine", slid the upper mattress back, revealing the box/ boxspring and all across the "bead" of the box was large blots of blood! They were roughly anywhere from dime to silver dollar sized and I just froze, I was shocked. How disgusting! I pulled my hands back and my friend started laughing, "What? What's wrong?". I told her that either someone had killed them self in that bed, or there were bedbugs here. She laughed until she came over and saw for herself.
Now, I used to be an Evidence Tech in Law Enforcement, so I am used to graphic stuff, but what freaked me out was that I almost laid on that mattress and I understand how biologicals (ie- blood) can transfer illness and that "bios" need cleaned up. Which told me that this was an active infestation (I think I saw a couple as I pushed the bead of the box with a pen from the nighstand- I assumed most were inside the box- but I am no expert in bed bugs!). We gathered our things and returned to the lobby (noting an "old" security guard wandering around the hallways). We told the desk clerk that we would like a different room (in hindsight, it wouldn't have mattered- they are tranfered by launfry facilities, etc). We were nice, stuff happens is what we were thinking. . no biggie. She apologized and asked us how we were sure there were bugs, we described the blood. .
Long story shorter, we looked at 2 other rooms and they were worse! We then said we wanted our money back and the desk clerk asked for one more opportunity. She called the security grunt on the radio and told him she needed him to check a room for us. He went up and about 10 min later came down and asked, "Would you folks kindly accompany me to your room?". I thought, "cool" a clean room! We went to the room, he opened the door and I walked over to one of the beds to pull the mattress back. He said,"Stop there. What are you doing?" I told him I was going to look at the bed myself. He said,"Do not disturb the mattress, you either accept the room or refuse it". . .Can you **freakin** believe it ? . .I told him if I can't check for bugs, we refuse the room and thanked him for wasting my time.
In the lobby, they refused to refund our money because we had used "Expedia". We contested we did NOT (We used hotels dot com). They still refused. We were forced to find a competitor hotel at nearly 1am. .
***Stay At Your Own Risk **!
For those of you commenting on the "wonderful" service. . check into viruses and diseases transmitted by blood. 'Cause even if there are no bugs. .(which is what Mgmt claimed in our formal complaint with Hotels dot com. .and "allowed" us to have a "courtesy" refund. .saying that they found no bugs) . . biologicals can be transmitted quite easily !

Saying you don't have bed bugs in this situation is like asking your guests to ignore the mouse poop in the bathroom by asking them, "Did you SEE a mouse?". .the blood blotches are the bug's excrement !
God, I wish I had thought to take pictures ! ! !
I was just floored by the gross-ness and LACK of customer service or concern of customer health. This is also the first hotel short of Vegas where there is a security guard (albeit his presence was not very authoritative). Maybe has something to do with all the riff-raff in the back courtyard?

Room Tip: Check the top of the box/ boxspring for bugs and blood!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank NunyaBitnes
Nathan0250, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Phoenix North - Bell Road, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
While we greatly value guest feedback, this review was simply not true. We immediately had this room inspected. We use a National Company and they have provided certification that this room and nearby rooms are pest free. Although this problem can happen at any time at any hotel, theater, restaurant, home, etc., we have found this claim to be baseless and we have asked Tripadvisor to remove it. Nathan, GM Phoenix North.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Yuma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

I have stayed at this Red Roof and several others and have always had great service. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff has been friendly and helpful. It is a great place to stay with reasonable prices. I am frequently in Phoenix for overnight trips and usually stay at Red Roof because they are clean, comfortable, and reasonable. Not a 4 star as far as fancy but in my book they are as good as any high end hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
chino
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn For 5 days and the Hotel was great. My room was very clean . I had an issue with my air conditioning unit. I called the front desk. I was surprised when Misty from the front desk was at my room to fix the problem with in a few minutes after I called. Most of all I want to thank the staff. Every time I would leave or walk into the hotel they would say Hi or ask me how my day was. I travel to phoenix a few times and I will definitely stay here again . Thank you, Jane (front desk) and Josa. (maintenance) Thanks for making my stay so nice, Nancy

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

My family and I were on the tail-end on a very rough and frustrating move accross country when we landed at the RR Inn in Phx. While in line at the desk we witnessed Eddy handle difficult customers and issues, and when it was our turn, he again handled the issues efficiently and very professionally. Later that afternoon my sons and I were looking for a luggae cart to move our luggage. Eddy called around and looked around, but couldn't locate one so he volunteered to help us take the luggage to our room. Eddy seemed to be able to anticipate our neededs, and we had many of them, and provide the needed assistance. Earlier in our trip we stayed at a Red Roof Inn and I wasn't very impressed, but becasue of my experience with Eddy's professionalism I will choose RR Inn first.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert S
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Thanks every one for your help! Especially Michelle Safaley. We having been staying here for over a month and love the customer service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

This is your average red rood inn. The gal at the front desk was very cheerful. The room was clean. Came with fridege, microwave, flat screen TV. A/C worked well. I stayed on the thrid floor in a room which faced the highway and did not hear any noise at all. Close to Denny's, Applebees and Super markets all within walking distance. The bed was extremely comfortable. Only complaint is that I asked my room not be cleaned until after my departure. I do not like strangers in the room while I am not there and would rather leave it until the end. I even asked the cleaning lady on my way out not to service the room. When I came back later in the evening, the room had been cleaned. Not really too bad of a problem to have but I am glad I did not leave any money, electronics or valuables around. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Spent five nights here while attending a dog show in Scottsdale.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating, they filled my request for a room on the first floor and at the back of the property. I messed up because I should have also requested that I not be next to the stair well. (I think there was a small army staying on the second floor, it was noisy when ten kids tromped up and down the stairs, my fault), The room was clean and as well stocked as one would expect for a budget hotel.
Good coffee in the lobby all day.
Easy access to the Freeway.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the back away from the stair well!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo