“Just an ok stay”
Review of Plaza Inn & Suites

Plaza Inn & Suites
Ranked #133 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a week and it was just ok. The business center consisted of a single computer and printer (which wouldn't print) and fax machine. The breakfast was acceptable and had a good selection of items. There was some recent updating but it still has the feel of a 1980's hotel. The is a gas station and minimart across the street if you forget any items. In room wifi was really slow.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wcgmeyer

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This property is conveniently located just off of Rt 17 in NORTH Phoenix. We left Sky Harbor about 9:30pm and it took us about 40 minutes to reach this hotel (in the rain......if you can imagine that in Phoenix!) We were on our way to Sedona and it positioned us nicely for an easy start the next day without having to go through downtown traffic. There is no restaurant on site, but we found an all-night Denney's by backtracking on the road out front of the hotel and paralleling I-17 back to the previous exit (Bell...something road). The first impression of this hotel is okay.....nice lobby, friendly staff, ,and we were happy enough to find a comfortable king sized bed that night, but on closer inspection in the morning, other things became very obvious. The wrap-around desk area is a nice concept in the room for business travel, but it was in bad need of repair. The cushion on the swivel chair was completely pulled apart with foam hanging out. The elevators were really odd....maroon with mirrors and the Orange hallways were retro,very dated and worn. The breakfast area was very nice, but there were many people and hard to find a place to sit. If it would have been warmer I guess we could have gone outside by the pool to eat. It was a hot breakfast included in the price...eggs, sausage, waffle maker, cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc. So, good and bad. This place is ok for a late night stop over and hot breakfast in the morning but I would not want to stay any longer.

Room Tip: Some traffic noise with rooms facing I-17.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Spring Training 2014, this turned out to be a great place to call our temporary home. The hotel is right off of I-17, so convenient to catch the 101 loop, about 45 minutes from most of the stadiums with traffic.

We arrived and checked in early, they had a room available. It was tucked into a corner in the building closest to the freeway. Convenient location, no stairs and ground floor. The room was well appointed with a king bed, large computer desk, comfy chairs, and plenty of space. The carpet was worn looking, but everything was nice.

Bathroom was a bit run down. The tub and shower surround show signs of lots of use, scratches and other cracks and marks in the porcelain, this tub is showing some age. There was no fan in the bathroom, which makes for plenty of humidity and also inability to escape odors.

The room was equipped with an A/C and heater near the window. It worked very well and quickly cooled the room when it was stuffy. This room was not equipped with a fridge/microwave, but we didn't need one anyway. The ice machine was down the hall. It does have a mini coffee maker in the unit but we didn't use it. A hairdryer was in the bathroom as well.

The TV was a nice flat screen version, bolted in place on the desk so you couldn't really move it easily if you wanted to adjust the location at all. The reception was terrible, only a few channels came in clearly.

Internet (wi-fi) worked well and we had no issues with it during our stay. There was a $3.50 per day charge for it that was not voluntary, we were charged upon checkout for that whether we used it or not. I think this is just a way of supplementing their low cost for the night. With about 175 rooms, I cannot believe that this is a pass through cost on internet, or else their bill is over $18K a month. I am sure this is just a way of supplementing their profit margin

The outdoor pool was pretty nice for a small hotel like this. Small 20 ft x 10 ft pool, pretty warm (maybe 85F), and a decent hot tub. The hot tub has been refinished with some sort of textured plaster, don't wriggle much or you will tear your swimsuit.

The room was $50/night on the internet. This was a great value. Given the price, I would say that this was an excellent place to stay if I stopped right here.

However, the cost also included breakfast, and the breakfast definitely tipped the scale to awesome. This is not the usual continental breakfast at a hotel with some muffins and juice---it was far more. Toast, bagels, english muffins, waffles(can be a long wait as there is only one waffle iron), yogurt, scrambled eggs, sausage, cereal, coffee, juice, and milk. A pretty nice spread for the cost, and far nicer than you will get if you stay at my house.

I would definitely recommend this to folks passing through or planning to stay for several days in the area. The grounds are nice, and the evening breeze brings the aroma of orange blossoms.

Drawbacks: The maid never visited our room during our 3 nights there. The first morning was our fault for leaving the do not disturb sign out. We threw our towels on the floor and hoped to return on day 3 late to a clean room. We were disappointed to see that nobody had visited and now we had wet and icky towels to use for the last morning. The second drawback was a great deal of road noise. Perhaps other rooms are less susceptible, but the room we had sounded like it was on a racetrack part of the night. TV reception was poor too. The exercise room is adequate, but the one time I tried to visit it the temperature was unbearably hot.

Bottom line: If price is a concern and you plan to be out and about most of the day, this is a great place to stay and start the day. I would not recommend it to a family planning to hang out by the pool all day or watch TV in the room.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in feb for our granddaughter's soccer tournament. The team made the reservation not my choice. It looks like they have put some effort and money into cosmetics,on the outside and the lobby but when you go deeper you see a motel much in need of maintenance. Carpet is wrinkled like it has gotten wet. Door locks and frames are very loose or I'll fitting. The beds are doubles and quite small and uncomfortable. The toilet often runs if you don't go back and jiggle the handle. AC works and pretty loud ( a good thing actually since a very busy street and freeway are less than 100 feet away!)

The complimentary breakfast is warm scrambled eggs and sausage with toast or you can try to get a place in line to use the single waffle iron. Not great but edible,

Pool looked clean enough but the hot tub jets did not work.

We asked if they had a room with a small frig and they said they could bring one to our room for an extra $10 per day! Should have done so since the ice machine was frequently out of order. The cat sized dust bunnies by the ice machine may have been plugging up the works.

Others have mentioned rude service. I did not see rude but did see lots of ambivalent attitude.
The strangest part was the sign in the room that said "Dear valued guest" and went on to detail what we will be charged for any damaged or missing items including $10 for a washcloth or $300 for the tv. Obviously they have had problems in the past. All this points to me to a property that needs some better care!

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ScottLockwood
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I spent 5 nights there visiting family in Phoenix. The staff was incredibly friendly and inviting. The bed (king size) was verrrry comfy. The room had a nice shower and was very clean. We will most likely stay there again next time.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We were here at this Comfort inn for the Wedding Party of my cousin, and the whole family was here in the town. We stayed at this hotel and had great time staying here for the weekend. The staff was excellent, the housekeepers took care of everything for whatever we needed and whenever we wanted. The room service was great and we were always welcomed as a family and just the regular guests. Love everything for this hotel.

Room Tip: great experience.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I had a family wedding in North Phoenix, and I have more attraction for the Choice Hotels, I stayed in Comfort Inn here and I was glad that I stayed here. The staff was so cooperative, helpful, always smiling. My Stay was very pleasant and I would recommend to everybody.

Room Tip: Quiet and neat hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family