“Lacked some essentials”
Review of Plaza Inn & Suites

Plaza Inn & Suites
Ranked #131 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The room was large, beautiful and tastefully furnished. It had no refrigerator. WiFi did not work for most of the evening and no one on staff seemed to be able to fix it. We had the impression this was not unusual. The breakfast room was quite attractive. There were many choices but no whole grain breads or rolls. Impossible (so we were told) to walk to a restaurant, though many places would deliver.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Calabash98

Reviewed December 26, 2012

As Comfort Inns go, this has the most elegant dining room and guest room we've seen. The location at the Union Hills and I-17 Freeway interchange in north Phoenix is very convenient. They even have conference facilities and a lovely lounge.
But, as we settled in, we found the bathroom very strange. The only lighting was the usual high density ceiling heat lamp. The mirror lighting had been completely removed, so good luck with that makeup. Then I found the usually wall mounted hair dryer with nightlight disconnected and stowed under the counter. Next, the towel bar was completely missing with all the towels also under the counter and the tub had been replaced by only a shower. Heaven help you if you forget the towel before getting into the shower, since there is a large expanse of slippery tile to cross for a towel. When I inquired at the desk about the lack of light and towelbar, I was told the bathrooms are under renovation. One would think they would have the new lighting available and ready when renovating. And when I mentioned the slippery floors, I was told that removing the towel bars was the "latest thing", that it was completely legal and that if I slip and fall it's just my own fault. Nice friendly, consumer oriented, touch.
A couple side notes: This is the first Comfort Inn we've found with both PBS and MSNBC on the TV channels! But, like many others, no wheat bread for toast in the dining room.
There was good quality in room wi fi, but no refrigerator or microwave. Maybe they're on order for the renovation.

Room Tip: Unless you're a fitness freak, try for the first floor. There are 2 stories, but no elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SezLuckyGirl
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed three nights at this hotel and it was an average experience. Check in was quick and easy. However, the first room they gave me had very poor lighting in the bathroom. When I informed the front desk they told me that some rooms were under renovation and that the new lighting for my bathroom was not yet installed. They apologized and put me in another room immediately. The fitness center is very tiny and has only one treadmill so if you are with others who work out you will want to keep that in mind. The pool was nice and clean. The free breakfast is about what you would expect, nothing spectacular, but it was FREE so it's hard to complain. The biggest issue I had with the hotel was the fact that they had a Halloween party on Saturday night and our room was in an area where people were constantly going outside to smoke so we could hear the outdoor door opening and closing most of the night. Also, someone pulled the fire alarm at 1:30 AM so that was a great wake up! Not! Make sure you ask for a room not facing I-17 as traffic noise from the interstate can be heard in your room.

Room Tip: Pick room that is not facing I-17.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mark R
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Not to mention, we didn't really feel safe when we got there, check in did go well, no delay here, room was clean, large with a comfortable king size bed. The lightening was poor and there were no screens on the windows. Internet service was ridiculously slow and tv channels were limited. The swimming pool was large, clean, but the gates were all broken and barely hanging on except for the main one. The hot tub was also large and the water was hot. The front desk clerk was friendly and tried to be helpful during an extremely busy hour, however, the Manager, was neither friendly nor helpful and she reprimanded the clerk for trying to help us, (in front of us, I might add). At 11:30pm, the fire alarm (not the smoke alarm) went off, waking us up of course. On check out the front desk clerk was complaining about being over worked and was pre-occupied while checking us out. Also, there was a bogus $3.00 telecom charge which no one could explain what it was for. This is not up to Comfort Inn standards, I suggest you look at the other Comfort Inns in the Phoenix area.

Room Tip: Find a different Comfort Inn.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mscoody
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

The room was very clean and large. However, the breakfast was pathetic. Availability of choices were minimal. If you eat eggs and sausages then you are okay. Recommend finding a restaurant to eat breakfast than eating at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

I've never written a review before, but I created a Trip Advisor account just to write one for this location. The good: breakfast was good, the room was clean, the pool was big and clean, beds were comfortable. The bad: this motel sets right next I-17, consequently, there was some questionable transient goings-on when we arrived, the elevators are no where near convenient for as many rooms as this facility has, our first room only had a heat lamp for light fixture as they still aren't finished with the supposed renovation (a March 2012 trip advisor review indicated the same problem...not sure they're ever getting actual light fixtures in the bathrooms) and the maintenance man who brought us a different light bulb as the first remedy to this heat situation in the bathroom said they get complaints about only having heat lamps in the bathrooms all the time. The front desk clerk finally moved us to a different room, but there still weren't any standard light fixtures in the bathroom, just a different kind of bulb; the A/C in the exercise room was only blowing warm air, which made for a really hot workout in Phoenix in July, and the door to our room stuck.
We would definitely not stay here again, instead we would opt for the very nice Comfort Suites only 7 miles away in Peoria, AZ, for just a few dollars more.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank 4jranchofba
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Returning guest and since the last time i have stayed here there has been much improvement! Staff is great, beds are comfortable, rooms are spacious...breakfast was great, resturant has great food! Love swimming in the pool and getting some sun! Prices are affordable. Thanks again see you in a few months!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business