“Good quality for the price”

Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Airport North
Ranked #23 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have traveled extensively to Phoenix over the years, staying in many hotels along the way, and I lived there for years beforehand. For the money, this is the place stay. For hotels in the $80 price range, it's hard to beat this place. It's clean throughout, has in-room dining and a small pantry to supplement, serves breakfast, and the staff is very nice. Seems like below average noise level between rooms (a good thing). The room has a microwave and a fridge with a sink and a small couch area. Some improvement opportunities include the staff attentiveness at breakfast (cleaning tables, not replacing silverware for the next guest), and the lack of a paper in the morning (even though the room key jacket says you will get one, you don't). Overall, however, it's a great value when you consider the price. The one dig that can't be fixed is the location; it's a bit out of the way for me (I work in Tempe when I'm there) but to me it's worth the drive. It's not a $120+/night hotel, but it's a great place to stay in the $80/night range.

4  Thank Daniel H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I spent 5 nights at this property because it was close to my employer. I was very pleased with the whole property. The room was well appointed, clean, spacious and modern. Washer and dryers are available at a nominal fee. The grounds, were very nice and they had fires in fire pits around the property. The staff was friendly and professional. There was a hot breakfast each morning and the service was excellent. I will stay at this property again when traveling to the North Phoenix area.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Enjoyed staying at this hotel. Very nice staff and clean. Not so sure I like the area of town we were in but still got a good nights sleep. Breakfast was good. Make sure you adjust the "Sleep Number" bed or it is like sleeping on a table...

Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel was pleasant but had the following difficulties: 1) on 2 different nights the credit card machine didn't work at the bar, 2) ran out of tea bags, 3) shared computers in the business center wouldn't allow me to get to my airlines' website to print a boarding pass (very, very slow), 4)beds were supposed to have a lever on the side to adjust the comfort but the 2 beds in my room didn't have them and 5) used dinner dishes were stacked closely next to clean plates in a serving area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor; view is better.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dudee
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am sorry, but his is a long review.

My experience with this hotel started to go downhill when I got to my room. Despite booking a one-bedroom suite on-line, when I got up to the room I found it was a regular room. When I called the front desk, I was told this was the only type of room the hotel had. Since there are few things that get me worked up more than being mislead (either on-line or in person), I went down to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. Lo and behold, they do have one-bedroom suites after all. The manager on duty, whose demeanor was somewhere between disdain and complete disinterest, only said to me "you aren't supposed to be able to book these rooms on line", as he was looking at the reservation on my smart phone. In any case, I got the suite and went back up to my new room. Unfortunately, the air conditioner in the living room was not working. I called at 5:30pm and was told maintenance would be "right up". I called again at 6pm and was told "he will be there in 5 minutes". Finally, at 6:30pm he showed up. While the gentleman was very nice, he could not do anything. Apparently the entire a/c unit had to be switched out (and they knew this,, the replacement unit was in his shop). Why I had to wait in my room for an hour to find this out is beyond me. Nevertheless, I was told they would get it fixed tomorrow while I was at work. Flash-forward to the next evening at 5pm. I had been gone 10 hours, go up to the room, and the a/c still does not work. No explaination why it was not fixed and no one really seemed to care. At this point I said "forget it". They had all day to fix the situation, but did not do anything about it. There were other maintenance issues in the room as well (the "adjustable" bed on one side was stuck at "hard as a rock" and the tv in the bedroom only got a few channels", but I figure if they don't care, why should I, so I did not report them).

At checkout the next day the young woman at the front desk seemed sincerly concerned that my stay was sub-standard and promised a manager would call me to discuss the situation. This was 4 days ago; still no call. I am not hold my breath.

Let me say the restaurant was pretty good and they have a decent workout room. Otherwise, I cannot think of a reason you would want to stay here.

I would strongly recommend staying someplace else.

5  Thank WannaTravelGuy
Reviewed January 28, 2013

After traveling up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon, we chose this hotel for its close proximity to the airport. We were quite pleased with the location and spent a comfortable evening unwinding before our early morning flight. The front desk attendant was very friendly and provided us free breakfast vouchers which sadly we didn't have time to use. If we travel through Sky Harbor Int'l again, we will certainly revisit this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a newer property very close to the airport and car rental center. It is in a sketchy area, but good food is not too far (about 5 miles to Camelback Road). The only negative for me was the excessively loud built into window a/c/heat unit which came on and off like a bomb blast during the night. Most hilton garden inns, indigos, courtyards use this system, but it was the loudest.

Also since anyone staying here has an early flight from the airport, coffee/tea should be available starting at least at 5AM.

Room Tip: high floor away from elevator
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple