“Simple and stylish great for business travellers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Phoenix-Airport

Aloft Phoenix-Airport
Ranked #35 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
San Francisco, CA
“Simple and stylish great for business travellers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

The people are friendly and the amenities just right for most business travelers. New furniture, wired and wi-fi internet, and a comfy bed. The rooms are a little small but if you're only there to sleep, it shouldn't be an issue. I plan on going back.

1 Thank BigBlueOcean7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

As one would come to except from a Starwood Property, this hotel is clean, modern and friendly. I believe one of Starwood's newer hotel chains, Aloft Phoenix Airport was built less than a year ago and it shows. Everything is very clean and still smells brand new. The rooms include that amazing Starwood Bed that puts you right to sleep. In addition, the amenities in the bath aren't standard junk and can actually be used. The pool was sparkling and refreshing despite the 100 degree temperature during the day. The lobby contains a groovy and modern bar and lounge area complete with pool table. Did I mention the free internet? It;s all over the property, pool included.

What initiated by review was this hotel had one of the friendliest staffs I have ever met. From the hotel engineer that picked me up from the airport (because the driver was busy), to the front desk staff... all were friendly, educated about the area, and very helpful with my requests. Their personalities were what I frequent traveler expects from this customer service driven industry.

It shares the parking lot with a Ruby Tuesday's for those of you traveling without a vehicle and is across the street from a light-rail stop. All very convenient.

I'll return to Aloft time and time again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelingGuy31
Newport Beach, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

The hotel is new, clean, and has a modern flare. I wouldn't fool yourself into thinking it's like the W - it's a cheaped down version of a W wannabe, a step up from the Four Points chain. There are very few amenities, so if you're looking for room service, a bathtub, or movies - just forget it. The hotel seems to also be short-staffed. The only snack bar is near the entrance and the cashier is the same person that checks you in. If you have any needs exceeding a clean bed and shower, then you'll ge highly disappointed. The room does come with a fridge, coffee maker, safe, and a complimentary bottle of water a day, and, the biggest plus for me, they use Bliss products.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

My recent review of the "W Perimeter" in Atlanta may hint at my disdain for poor service and impractical useless fashion when the basic expectations of a good hotel are not met. As a frequent business traveler, my expectations for hotel cleanliness, room comfort and amenities, and basic service have become rather particular, and I am quick to compliment or criticize a hotel based on these standards. That's why I'm so pleased to tell you that the Aloft Phoenix-Airport met, and in many cases exceeded, all of my expectations for a good hotel for a business traveler, and was the antithesis of all the things I dislike about the W experience.

From the moment I walked into Aloft, I knew I was in for a refreshingly calm, friendly, and full-service experience at a tremendous price. I was greeted with a warm "Aloha" (a strange greeting for a non-Hawaian-themed hotel), and a smile as I walked into a lobby that was beautifully-crafted to make you feel bright, energized, and at home. From the open plan to the modern-and-bright colors to the pool table to the sharp-but-casual bar, the lobby was akin to an upscale European hostel (if such a thing exists)... the kind of place where you feel comfortable and almost COMPELLED to strike up conversations with people from many different walks of life.

Every staff member I met was tremendously authentic and genuinely congenial, and went out of their way to make sure we were having a good stay. From the front desk people who showed us how to quickly-and-easily print some documents at the business center (no charge) to the bartender who recommended a restaurant and hand-drew directions for us to the general "talent manager" who greeted us each morning in the lobby to ask how our stay was... I felt like each staff member really enjoyed their jobs, and genuinely WANTED us to have a good time.

The room itself was a tremendously well-planned smaller space that will feel right at home for those who enjoy boutique European hotels. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the room clean and very new, and the decor simultaneously ultra-modern and relaxing. Unlike the W (form over function), the room was a testament to the beautiful synergy of form AND function, with intuitive and natural placement of all amenities, from lightswitches to towels to outlets, etc. (Again, compare to the W, where I had to move the bed to find an outlet). Wi-fi was very strong in my 4th-floor room, and it was FREE (again, compare to the W, where it was not available at all in the room, and cost $10+ a day to use the wired cord). The shower was roomy and very clean and comfortable, featuring a clever frosted window into the room to allow natural light in. The sink and toilets were modern-looking but worked perfectly (again, unlike the W).

I encourage you to stay at the Aloft Phoenix-Airport next time you're in Phoenix, and leave the W Scottsdale to a fashionista who wants to be seen in the lobby. If you're a Starwood junkie with a deep-seated disdain for the W, I think you'll find the Aloft a very refreshing return to the Starwood values and quality that got you into their hotels to begin with.

Here's the kicker...and all for a room that cost almost half of the W.

1 Thank JMMasterson
Okemos, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

This was my first stay at an aLoft hotel, and it is a very interesting concept. Overall, I liked it and would choose an aLoft in certain circumstances in the future. At first glance, it reminded me of an upscale dorm, but not in a bad way! It is obviously aimed at young travelers, but worked quite well for this 50-something traveler. The decor is modern, slighty industrial, and mostly Ikea-esque. But I liked it!

The desk staff was mostly young, wearing polo shirts instead of suits, but they were friendly and helpful. Check in and any questions were handled quickly and and they didn;t make me feel like I was the "old person". There were people of all ages staying there. The lobby has lots of couches and chairs, a bar with several TV's, a computer access area, a pool table and a small area with foods to purchase. The food items included a good variety of choices including salads, sandwiches, breakfast items, soda, juices, snack bars, items to microwave, and other things. Prices were reasonable.

At first glance in the room, I was skeptical, but after checking it out a bit, I really liked some of the features! First, there are LOTS of outlets - and none are behind furniture! So there is no problem with all of the tech gear! There is a large desk, a table, a built-in bench/couch that a small person could probably sleep on if needed. The closet is open, with a curtain and open shelves. There is no dresser or drawers. The bathroom has a LARGE countertop, which was great, and a sliding door to close off the toilet/shower area. There is also a cube fridge. All of the furniture is built-in. The rooms seemed to be pretty well sound insulated, it was pretty quiet when I was there, but it wasn't very high occupancy.

The wireless internet is free! And there is a unit on the desk to plug your electronics (laptop, games, etc) and you can show it on the large HD TV. Parking is free, but I found that I did not use my rental car, since the Metro was fast, cheap and convenient. There is a nice patio and small pool with lots of chairs and couches. The building shades the pool/patio by mid-afternoon, so if you want sun, go earlier in the day.

The location is great, right across the street from the free airport shuttle drop-off spot, across the street from the Metro (light rail) station (All day pass is $3.50, get to the Convention Center in about 20 minutes!), next to a convenience store, and just steps to a Ruby Tuesday Restaurant (not fine dining, but OK when you just need a meal!)

Overall I really liked it, but there were a couple of drawbacks -the biggest one was that the heating/cooling unit in room was loud (you had to change the TV volume every time it went on or off) and it created a draft. Other minor issues were that occasionally airplane noise was a bit loud, but not a huge problem, and in the bathroom there are no rods or hooks to hang your hand towel near the sink.

So for a comfiortable, convenient room near the Phoenix airport, the aLoft hotel is a good choice.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

If your traveling on business this is the place to stay! They offer shuttle service to and from the airport. They are SOOOO nice and truly care about their guests. They PAMPER you! I am a seasoned traveler and they treated me like the goddess I know I am! I left my bags at the desk when I arrived and when I came back after work they had my bags set up for me. They had my fridge with diet sodas, cookies, tooth brush, tooth paste, and razor waiting for me! They were cheerful when I arrived (VERY EARLY) put me in a cozy room with a great view of the mountains. It is close to the airport, Tempe, Phoenix, and rental car facility. Across the street from the light rail which can take you to anywhere including some of the well know restaurants such as Raw, Macayos, Gordon Biersch just to name a few. There are shops and boutiques along mill avenue. Arizona Mills is an outlet mall (need a car rental or taxi) nearby. They also have Tempe Marketplace (also taxi or rental car) which has clothing stores, restaurants, and movie theatre. Camelback mountain which is popular for hiking is about 15 minutes away! You can eat downstairs for breakfast or pickup food to go. They have a bar that is open at 5 pm with snacks and food service if you are exhausted and don't want to leave. They have several places you can have snacks at within the hotel if you don't want to leave. They have a workout facility that is amazing! So if you want to be treated like a queen pick this one :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Goodyear
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

We stayed at Aloft for our anniversary. The staff is excellent and atmosphere is trendy and cool. You truely feel like you are in a loft and not a hotel. The rooms are so cozy. I loved everything about this hotel and I can't wait to stay with Aloft again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple