“A must see museum!”
Review of Heard Museum

Heard Museum
Ranked #3 of 230 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Owner description: The foremost showcase of Native American art and culture in the U.S., the Heard Museum reveals the cultures of tribes in the region through exhibits, demonstrations and live performances and displays the work of contemporary Native American artists. Artists demonstrate their work during the week and musicians perform on most weekends.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have visited this museum twice and have enjoyed it tremendously. My interest in Native American history and art has led me here and this museum has taught me so much. I was here for Indian Fair and market in March and decided to become a member!

1  Thank bwinter05
There are newer reviews for Heard Museum

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had only about 3 hours and the museum as easily reachable by the metro light train. The museum staff was very polite and the exhibits were very good.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

It's been many years since I've walked the Heard Museum museum exhibit halls. I come here for quietly sophisticated artful desert lunch dates, schmooze the Art Show to finally meet the people moving the Hopi Education Endowment Fund, or spend time wandering among the booths of living 21st century Native American people supporting extended families through art and vibrant self expression.

Maie Bartlett Heard founded this museum. It preserves some artifacts of indigenous Turtle Island, presenting them in thoughtful, honest exhibits, It also showcases contemporary Native American song, dance and arts,

If you're in town the same time as one of the Heard's several cultural or artistic gatherings, stop by. The grounds live vibrantly with Native American performers and artists from across the country.

If your a history and art museum-goer, the Heard offers both year-round. For native artisans, shelf space in the Berlin Gallery or other Heard shops is coveted. Global audience, top prices, recognition. You'll find the best traditional, plus modern, edgy Native American Art.

I spent considerable time talking with Rose B. Simpson, someone one might take for a NDN Grrrl from the hood. Thin walls are a hallmark of pueblo pottery mastery. For now, she's working with two millimeters-thick porcelain clays in one sculpture. Each clay requires a different firing temperature to temper the clays into finished work. Deeply technical personal art.

At the show, I found Mark Fischer, Oneida, producing patina-ed copper humor. He's adding saddle leather from his family's arena and race-track history. I located some tooled ranch-fresh saddle fenders to help grow his work.

Caroline Carpio has moved into bronze representations of her work, The red and gold patinas glowing in the late afternoon sun drew me to her booth like a Green June Beetle heads for a street light. She, her son and I had a pleasant conversation about her work and life at home. .

There's raven mural on a downtown Albuquerque wall. When I saw Nocona Burgess' work, I thought he may have been the muralist. Not so, but he is an excellent melder of past Indian imagery with the Native American present.

I use my examples to show every artist represented here is highly talented. If you like sophisticated Native American art and have a moderate to high budget for it, this is good shopping. .

To end this, Maie Bartlett and Dwight Heard were part of The Phoenix 40 who brought "The City Beautiful" to the banks of the Salt River and its ancient canal system. The City Beautiful seed planted by the Heards lives vibrantly on in their museum and its grounds. I encourage you to visit.

I do not write this to promote any particular artist, It's what I learned at the Heard listening to native people share knowledge.

The grounds of the Heard display the best expression of monumental art Indian Country produces.

1  Thank tceng
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The exhibits included, native american history, art, sculpture, and my favorite exhibit on Cacao and Peppers. The restaurant offered indoor and outdoor seating. Best hummus wrap I have ever had. Everything fresh and service very attentive.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

A lot of AZ history, indian cultures, and beautiful jewelry, and art pieces. It is extensive, so pace ;yourself. There is no hurry to finish the tour.....just take a break and wait for the second half of the next tour. It is definitely worth it!

1  Thank grannytravels_9