“American Indian history at it's best!”
Review of Heard Museum

Heard Museum
Ranked #3 of 234 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Owner description: The foremost showcase of Native American art and culture in the U.S., the Heard Museum reveals the cultures of tribes in the region through exhibits, demonstrations and live performances and displays the work of contemporary Native American artists. Artists demonstrate their work during the week and musicians perform on most weekends.
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

If you go to the Heard museum take the guided tours. There is so much to see that the tours make it easier to digest. My favorite is the section on Indian boarding schools. If you have children they have some hands on things for them to do .

1  Thank marygrace58
Write a ReviewReviews (2,290)

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We come from Washington DC area and have visited the museum on the mall that also tells of the Native American story. I much prefer the Heard Museum because of the wonderful examples of basketry, Kachinas, beading, weaving etc that are there to marvel at and enjoy. The area set aside for young people with crafts and educational exhibits is a must see for all visitors. It tells the story of many different tribes and how the American Indian tribal system leads to many different stories told in their art and daily use materials. We really enjoyed lunch on the museum patio (a little pricey but top quality and convenient) and we enjoyed the welcome by the enthusiastic volunteer guides though we prefered to wander the beautiful museum on our own. A MUST SEE in Phoenix.

1  Thank Bowiememe
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Extensive display of the many Indian tribes of Arizona made for an interesting day and an enlightening experience. Tours given to by very knowledgeable people.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Confession: My favorite art is Decorative Arts. I'll spend all day looking at Meissen porcelains and colonial furniture. So I usually breeze through the part of the museum that has Native American Art. I visited this museum because it's one of the things you're supposed to see when you're in Phoenix. I'm happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Everything is well displayed and presented in a way that helps you understand how it was used and what it took to make it. Even if you don't stop to read a single description, you'll still experience a feast for your eyes. I loved it so much that any time I go back to Phoenix, it's on the short list of things I want to see. The gift shop is out of this world to. This is a don't miss museum.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Lots of pottery but also telling about the dark side of being an indian in the late 1880 ies. The man in the souvenir shop a hoopi indian knew about Gotland and wanted to go there.