“Great welcome to Southwest hospitality”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix
Ranked #40 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This hotel was outstanding, right from the shuttle from the airport as easy as picking up the phone next to baggage claim. Warm cookies upon check-in and water with lemon available in the lobby. Staff pays attention to detail, is friendly and helpful. Although we arrived early we were given a room right away. Large pool area, happy hour with discounted cocktails, great breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: June 2010
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix

Reviewed June 14, 2010

This hotel was clean, spacious,comfortable, and affordable. The staff was very helpful, friendly and professional. We stayed two days on the 5th floor. We had a view of the airport. We travel frequently and after our stay at the phoenix doubletree we have decided we only stay in doubletree hotels from now on.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
ManagerphxDT, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2010

dmello22,
Thank you for the great feedback. It's great to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you are now a loyal fan of Doubletree. I am proud of our team here and it's comments like yours that keep us smiling. We look forward to your next visit (we hope it's soon!). Todd D. Wilson, General Manager, Doubletree Guest Suites Phoenix

Reviewed June 12, 2010

Great rooms, very clean. Continental breakfast is fantastic. Restaurant menu is quite limited. Pool is nice and parking was adequate. Air conditioner was noisy and we did request someone to look at it but do not know if anyone ever did. Easy to get to and get around from.

Reviewed May 27, 2010

I didn't really enjoy my stay at this hotel. I got a bad taste from the very beginning when I called the hotel after a late arrival at the airport and asked for the shuttle. The woman on the phone was VERY inpatient while explaining the layout of the Phoenix airport (confusing!, as the hotel's shuttle only picks up on one side despite both sides having signs for hotel shuttles -- not sure why), bossy (for instance, when I tried to explain at the beginning of the call that I'd already gotten my bags, etc., she insisted on following her script) and pretty gruff. I then arrived and there was a long line in the lobby to check-in -- that happens sometimes, but it was frustrating to see only one person working the front desk even as the line continued to build.

I ordered a room service dinner. Mediocre. My shrimp caesar salad had TINY little shrimp, clearly frozen, and it took 40 minutes to get delivered.

The average level of service continued the next morning. The hotel does not put bills under the door, as the vast majority of Hilton and DoubleTree properties do. Instead, you have to check-out at the desk or leave your e-mail addresses in a drop box on your floor. When I checked-out, I needed the shuttle back to the airport. I was asked to wait for 20 minutes -- the ENTIRE time, the shuttle driver stood at the bell desk and did nothing. (I understand the shuttle runs on a schedule, but in my experience many other properties make an extra run when it's slow. Sort of annoying to just sit there and stare at the driver as he does nothing while you wait. Just as with the night before on the phone, I got the impression that the hotel is very "by the book" instead of providing personalized service.)

I found the hotel's layout to be odd. It is an all external-hallways property with a very 1970s architectural vibe: heavy on the concrete, earth tones, etc. I just don't find a concrete "hallway" with brick walls very appealing. Some of the floors have bridges that connect sections of the hotel while others do not. I didn't necessarily feel unsafe as you do in some external-hallway properties, but the overall feeling was not one of high-quality or luxury. It sort of felt like an old Holiday Inn.

The rooms are all suites, which is nice. My room was clean, although the carpet was worn. I also thought the room was dark; this is because the living room window looks right out on the exterior hallway and in order to let in light you had to let the world see into your room as they walk to their rooms, which I don't care to do. I thought the public areas of the hotel looked worn as well -- the restaurant and lobby were utilitarian and the elevators were dirty (fingerprints, etc. all over the glass). The place is also noisy, as everyone's rolling bags make noise on the concrete and the pool is right in the middle of everyone's rooms.

A lot of people probably go ga-ga over the free breakfast buffet. I suppose that's a touch not usually included as part of everyone's room rate (although as an elite Hilton HHonors member you are often provided breakfast), but I thought the breakfast was pretty average: a bowl of melon that looked like it came from a can, over-cooked potatoes, rock hard biscuits, etc. Personally, I'd rather pay for a freshly cooked breakfast than go to a mobscene buffet with average food.

I imagine a lot of people like this property for the big pool and free breakfast; as a business traveller accustomed to DoubleTree/Hilton properties delivering at a pretty high standard, I didn't think this property lived up to the standard of the brand. Next time I need to stay near the Phoenix airport, I'll look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank brmusicman
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Had a 2-day meeting in Phoenix that was close to the airport, so picked this one based on the location, rates, and reviews. The hotel rooms are like an Embassy Suites - with the front living room, the middle bathroom, and the back bedroom. Ample space in all areas, that was nice. TVs in both rooms, and there was a plug-in unit (kind of like a docking station) for your electronic devices (see attached picture) - that was pretty neat.

The hotel design was kind of unusual; don't think this was a Hilton (either DT or ES) property to begin with - the lobby and restaurant were in the front building, then there was a courtyard, and then the rooms wrapped around the pool area with all external doors (no interior hallways). The room and the common areas were starting to show a bit of wear, but nothing problematic.

The "business center" was more of a coffee-house layout at the front of the restaurant, it was kind of unique, and there were several workstations and 2 printers - free printing - so that was nice. The restaurant and bar were all in the same area as well - had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Service was so-so...not bad, but just the basics. Food was pretty good for dinner, not terribly expensive, and a good selection. The breakfast buffet was PHENOMENAL - and I believe it's included in the price for all rooms. Plenty of selection - hot and cold - and the quality of the food was really good. Ate there twice, and food was great both times. That is a really good deal when included with the rate.

The pool was outdoors, and the fitness center was a room right off the pool - a couple of treadmills, weights, cycle + elliptical trainer, and enough room to move around with several people there.

The location was good if you need to stay near the airport - it's only a couple of miles away - you can see the runways from your balcony - but the noise wasn't too bad. The views (pretty much anywhere in Phoenix) were nice with mountains on several sides, and downtown just a couple of miles away as well. There's also a light rail stop about 2 blocks from the hotel that will take you right to and from the baseball stadium if you want to go there.

Overall, it was a good stay - the price was fairly competitive, the shape of the hotel was OK, the neighborhood was fine - especially that close to the airport. I didn't give this a 4* rating but I would definitely stay here again if in the same area for business.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Travel_Reviewer20
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We found this hotel through priceline and paid $89 per night. Unbelievablel deal.

We arrived on the late side, but there were still warm cookies waiting for us (something I didn't realize was part of their welcome). Very quick check in. We were also given directions to get to the airport and rental car check-in since we'd be leaving early and might be in a rush.

Our rooms -- well, it was just fantastic to have two separate rooms, two separate televisions, a small fridge, a microwave, small sink and cupboards to use. The couch was comfy, the beds even comfier. Closets with plenty of space. The one downside was that, because our bathroom was handicap accessible, there was no lip to the bath, so the water tended to make a bit of a mess on the floor.

We used the pool and hot tub. Both were well kept and towels were available, even at night.

In the morning, breakfast is offered, but since we were leaving early, we didn't get the hot breakfast...but muffins and coffee and some fruit were available. Check-out was quick and painless.

I wish we had more DoubleTrees were I live in NH...but whenever I travel, I will certainly look for this hotel before others. One of the reasons we chose the hotel was because of its proximity to the airport...so it's not exactly close to all things downtown...but there was little to no traffic/airport noise and the grounds and surroundings were well kept and attractive.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Very nice, very clean, great full buffet breakfast complimentary. All the staff were extremely helpful, the location made it very easy to get around even though it's more a business hotel than a vacation hotel. Only problem was some of the rooms back onto the freeway which is noisy. Other than that, you'll enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple