“Nice hotel near airport”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix
Ranked #37 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
asheville, nc
“Nice hotel near airport”
Reviewed March 25, 2009

This very pleasant hotel is close to the Phoenix airport but you don't have a problem with airport noise. They do provide a 24 hour airport shuttle. Efficient check in and free chocolate chip cookies. The rooms are true two room suites with a living area with couch, chair and large screen tv, a kitchen dining are with a small table, and a nice bedroom. Plenty of closet and drawer space. There is a very pleasant interior courtyard with outdoor pool, hot tub, fountains and tables. This Doubletree provides a complimentary buffet breakfast which was quite ample--fruit, cereals, pastries, eggs, juices, coffee, etc. It is served in their restaurant (we didn't actually eat any other meals there, so I can't speak to the restaurant/bar itself). They have a small business center with free internet access and free printing (very convenient for boarding passes, etc.) The hotel is in an office type area, but is within a couple of blocks of the Chinese Cultural Center of Phoenix, which includes several restaurants. We went to the Szechuan restaurant which was very good and quite inexpensive. There is also a very interesting Asian market there which was fun to browse.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mbmcl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
wisconsin
Reviewed February 22, 2009

The hotel is very convenient to the Phoenix airport and the rental return center which was important on this trip. From the moment we came, the staff was friendly and helpful! I had called ahead to talk to the concierge to make a reservation for a city tour and when I got to the hotel, he had made some calls and even remembered by name and knew what room I was staying in. It made me feel like they really wanted me to feel at home. Everyone at the front desk treated you like a friend rather than a customer. LOVED THE COOKIES!!!! They are the best and were a welcome treat when we arrived.

The hotel restaurant has a smaller menu than some hotels, but the food was very good and not outrageously priced. The only downside to this hotel is that there is nothing much around it, however they do offer shuttle service to the downtown area.

Our room was beautiful and very clean. (Important when you have your elderly mom with you!). It has an outside entrance to the rooms as opposed to a inside hall, however I never felt uncomfortable walking to my room. The room had a sitting area and then a separate bedroom and bath. It was nicely set up and allowed each of us to have some space to ourselves in the evening. It was a little cool to take in the pool, but the grounds including the pool were kept very clean and tidy.

Breakfast is a large buffett with the usual amenities and was very good. In the morning we took a walk on 44th St and found a large Asian Cultural Center about two blocks away. It has a lovely garden area with ponds that you can walk through and has several restaurants with Asian menus. If you want a real treat, walk through the grocery store and see items not normally found in your garden variety grocery store! Fresh fish,in tanks and on ice, unusual meats and veggies are just a few. I love talapia and this is the first time I actually saw the real thing swimming in a tank! It is very interesting and I learned a lot!

Being close to the airport, I was concerned about noise, but although you could faintly hear some of the jets, it was by no means noisy. It was very quiet and the cozy beds made it easy to get a good night sleep. If I return to this area, I will certainly stay here again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wistraveler09
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Wonderful hotel from check-in to departure. Very aesthetic, extremely comfortable well designed rooms (suites), excellent buffet breakfast, friendly helpful staff, very central location in Phoenix. Would return here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
atlanta ga
Reviewed February 9, 2009

I am normally not a fan of outdoor access hotels, meaning the doors to the rooms open up to the outside as opposed to being in a "tower" with all the rooms off a hallway.. so when I saw this was an outdoor access hotel I was a bit nervous. But access to the rooms is only available thru the lobby area or the secured gates around the pool. So it wasn't like a motel open to parking lot or anybody on the street. It felt safe, and then when I saw the room, WOW!
I have stayed at several doubletree as well as other hilton family hotels over the last several years, and I have to say, this was one of the nicest "suite" hotels I have stayed in.
The room was large, spacious, and furnished with real furniture, not that cheap thin motel furniture you find in so many hotels. The living room also had what appeared a new large flat screen tv. the bedroom had the infamous doubletree bedding (one of the most comfy in the industry) and the small kitchenette would be nice if there for more than one night like myself. I found 2 full size bottles of complimentery water (surprise) which were nice to wash down the warm chocolate chip cookie given at check in.
The room was clean, the furniture was in good shape and comfortable. The bathroom was bright, updated, and nice touches like a real bathroom rug (another nice surprise) as opposed to a towel on the floor. Nice shampoos, soaps, and lotions.
Also went to the gym which was large, nice, and well equipped. It had a flat screen tv hanging in the corner of the room, but some of the machines also had the individual tv screens and they even provided headphones for personal use in the gym area (yet another nice surprise.)
I believe I paid 94.00 for a Saturday Night. I wish I had brought my bathing suit as the pool area looked nice as well and the courtyard was welcoming with cool lights hanging from the trees. 94.00 was a real bargain for this nice of a hotel and room. I really hope next time I am in Phoenix I can stay here again.
Oh, and it was about a 7 minute drive to the airport, so great location for those early morning flights.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
7 Thank Patrick C
Rutherford, New Jersey
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Stayed over for an early am flight out.
Early check-in was a breeze it was Super Bowl Sunday and seemed I had the whole place to myself.
NON - Smoking room was clean and spacious, true 1 bedroom suite with two TV's, fridge and microwave.
Lounge in restaurant was very good.
Free breakfast was excellent.
Pool area was nicely maintained.
Free parking and location to PHX airport was a plus.
I would stay again if the price were in same range of $99 per night.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank JohhnyQuest
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We chose this hotel for our "distressed passenger" overnight stay in Phoenix. The room was beautiful, and the bule chees burger in the resturant was WONDERFUL! I'm so glad we got stuck there. The airline guy tried to get us to go somewhere else, I think he got kick backs, but the DT had free transportation to a from the airport, spacious, nice and clean rooms and an excellent staff.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank brendasue513
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We booked via the Doubletree's website. They have a wonderful web only deal of $69 which was fantastic compared to other hotels that also provide breakfast.

Other pluses: shuttle from airport, large buffet breakfast with real fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, cereals, lots of healthy choices. A bit wierd about the breakfast--the host makes you wait for a free table and it was really busy the morning we were there, about 8 am on Dec 26. Lots of people were waiting and the wait did move. The host takes your name. Also, unlike other hotel buffets, a server takes your drink order (and expects a tip via a little form they give you.)

The place has an old school feel with its outdoor hallway but this allows the rooms to be very deep/big. Our room had 2 queen beds, and a suite area with a kitchenette (micro, small fridge, coffee maker) and hide-a-bed. 2 TV's!

Nice extras in the room like Wolfgang Puck coffees, nice teas and Nutragena toiletries including sunscreen.

Windows in the room open to fresh air. Yeah!

The rooms have nice updates like the furniture but could use a new bathtub--ours was shallow and old but not gross or anything. Everything was spotless.

Big negative: no free internet in the room. The marketing materials say there's internet in the public places but it didn't work for us in the restaurant. We didn't try other spots. It's $10 a day or something. Other hotels seem to include it as a standard these days.

The airport shuttle was super easy. We called the hotel upon arrival at the free hotel phones near the luggage pick up. The hotel operator was friendly and efficient -- asking us which terminal and telling us which door to exit (there are many) and said the bus would be there in about 10 minutes, and it was.

Downside--the bus will not take you to the car rental building. Everyone on the hotel shuttle needed to get to their car rental the next day and the shuttle driver was polite but said he could not take us there as it wasn't on his route. The car rental centre is away from the airport. Oh well. He dropped us at the airport and we took the airport's shuttle to the car rental centre.

We did not explore outside of the hotel. It was xmas eve and everything was closed, except thankfully the restaurant at the hotel. We had an excellent meal of fish, salads, kids had kids meals. All reasonably priced. It's in a hotel zoned area, didn't seem like there were nice places to walk or anything, but it's certainly close to the airport!

The fitness room was well equipped with a TV at every bike, and had more decent equipment than most hotels. The pool looked nice but we didn't go in--it wasn't lit up or anything and there was a huge puddle that we'd have to walk thru in order to approach poolside. Maybe it had rained that day.

There are nice outdoor sitting areas, with palm trees. Pretty.

Overall, this was excellent value for the very large room and hefty breakfast you get. Staff were extremely pleasant and friendly. No hassles.

• Liked — Location near airport with shuttle, free breakfast, price
  • Disliked — Internet was NOT included
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family