“Great Location, Downtown Phoenix!”

Sheraton Grand Phoenix
Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton due to my mom attending a Capella University conference being held at this hotel. Since it was the entire family 3 adults/1 child, I decided to book a 1bdrm Suite with club level lounge access and was grateful for the additional space and the club level perks of being on the 30th floor and access to free breakfast and appetizers in the evening. EVERY staff I came across was pleasant and helpful, but this REALLY is a buisness hotel with over 1000 rooms. They are very very busy, but it never felt to crowded. The food and drinks are muy expensivo! One drink cost me $18! So I suggest walking across the street and going to Hooters or one of the 6 other restaurants within walking distance.

PROS- large spacious room! Great views! Helpful staff! Close to everything downtown...you can easily walk to everything from here. GREAT JAZZ Band Saturday night! They were jammin playing Marvin Gaye and other classics all night long! NEVER felt crowed, elevators were quick and efficient.

p.s. I slept on the sofasleeper, but my parents LOVED the bed. They even checked the mattress name so they could buy it

CONS- Checkout took 25min! I was really urked by this! Room not the cleanist, I found long strands of hair throughout my stay all through the room ( bathroom sink, on the towels, carpet) I have a phobia about other people hair so this kinda grossed me out. Had to keep getting my room key, rekeyed because it wouldnt allow me to access the club lounge ( later found out they were having mechanical issues with the door)

p.s. Parking is $18 a day, and internet is NOT FREE in the room..i think its around $12, but you can access it free in the lobby
All in all i would definitely stay here if I were in Phoenix again!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank anuday05
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Your feedback is truly appreciated.

In designing this hotel, our vision was to create a 1,000 room hotel that felt warm and intimate to our guests, no matter how busy, so we must thank you for validating our vision. We are so glad you enjoyed our Saturday night jazz in the restaurant lounge as well, as we continue to receive excellent feedback on that from other guests.

We do offer free internet in the lobby, I would highly recommend you try that the next time you visit and enjoy a beverage or light snack at the same time.

Again, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write and give us feedback on our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you home again sometime soon!

Reviewed March 22, 2010

Stayed here with family for the Capella University commencement ceremonies at the Phoenix Convention Center. Very pleased with accommodations. TIP: forego housecleaning for a day and get a $5 coupon good in the lobby bar or the District dining room. Concierge was very helpful, giving us maps that highlighted the sites we wanted to see and recommending ground transportation. Greeted at the sally port by a porter dedicated to getting bags up to your room. Link Cafe in the lobby nice for a quick, pick-up breakfast and free access to the internet--on your laptop or their desktop. Check-in and check-out effortless. Loved that we were near so many sites and restaurants. Actually wished we could stay a couple more nights. Busy with multiple conference attenders but also saw families. At no time did we feel crushed by crowds. Loved cheering on Northern Iowa with the group in the lobby bar. Live jazz weekends in the lobby.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2010

This will be my home every time I visit Phoenix. I splurged a bunch of AirMiles on this hotel and it was worthwhile. It is a short walk to a complex of museums and other interesting sites. It is clean, modern, and well kept. The concierge, desk staff, restaurant staff and cleaning staff were polite, charming and helpful. The restaurant didn't seem to have a full dinner menu, but a couple of appetizers made a good dinner. The breakfast buffet was sublime. It's hard for me to give a Value rating because I didn't compare prices, wanted to use AirMiles and stay in downtown Phoenix, not in a suburb.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. How delightful to hear you will continue to call us “home” on any future trips to our city.

We are extremely proud of our downtown area and happy to know that you enjoyed your time exploring it. We hope you will continue to find new and interesting places on future visits, our Concierge staff can continue to help point you in the right direction.

Thank you again for visiting Phoenix and staying at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

Reviewed February 16, 2010

Stayed here as the headquarters for PF Chang's Rock 'n Roll Marathon. Rooms arranged by Team in Training, with whom I was running for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2010

My wife and I went to a meeting at the hotel. The meeting facilities were very good, and the audiovisual equipment good. The facilities for this type of meeting are excellent and help to make the meeting successful.

The lobby is very spacious as are the open areas near the ballrooms. These areas are very attractive, clean and well lit. The hallways of the hotel are also well lit, attractive and clean.

The room was somewhat small, but the size you expect in a large hotel in a metropolitan area. The bathroom was appropriate and the amenities generous. The room and bath were well furnished and clean. The heating and air conditioning system was good, and easily controllable.

The internet service is pricey, but if you don't need to have it in your room, it is free in the lobby. The screens at the complimentary lobby computers are large, and the way things are programmed makes one comfortable with the system. Your browsing history is completely erased when you sign off. You may also use your laptop in the free computer area by Wi-Fi if you wish.

Our check in was uncomplicated. The check in clerk was very accommodating and the service with our bags was also very good and accommodating.

Right across the street is an open mall with many dining places and upscale shops. We found a wide choice of dining at very reasonable prices so did not eat at the hotel.

Our experience with this hotel was first class, but you expect that for the price. We were not disappointed in our stay but there are hotels within a block or two for much less money.

Bottom line is that this hotel is definitely a five star hotel, but pricey.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent business stay with us. It sounds like overall you had a very successful meeting event.

As you may have guessed from your recent trip, Phoenix is growing by leaps and bounds, especially in the Downtown area. We feel honored to have been given the role as “anchor” to this area and are also a proud partner with the convention center in drawing many more thousands of people to our city.

That may have been one of the reasons you felt we were over-priced, but we hope the value of the dollars you paid to visit and stay here were well worth it.

Reviewed February 13, 2010

This is a great downtown / convention hotel. Here are my pros & cons:
+Short taxi ride from the airport
+Speedy, friendly check-in
+Attractive, comfortable room with a 37” flat screen
+Funky internet café in the lobby, serving $2.00 Starbucks coffee (small) and $2.50 bananas
+Excellent food in the restaurant. 4 of us went for dinner, each had something different and it was all wonderful. Fabulous $16 breakfast buffet.
+$60 cab ride to the Phoenix Coyotes hockey rink… what a stylin’ rink it is at that! NHL hockey tickets start at just $20
+The convention food is First Class. I had the honor of meeting the person responsible, the Executive Chef.
+Large fitness center with lots of cardio and resistence equipment
-Overcharged by more than 30% on my $82 laundry bill. Too bad, so sad.
Aside from my laundry overcharge, this is a great hotel that I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Maestro

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and the very positive comments.

We are especially glad that you were able to attend a Coyotes game and agree that their new arena is first class, a great place to catch a game!

We are also extremely proud of our Executive Chef Frank Belosic and were happy that you had a chance to meet with him and personally let him know what you thought of our food.

If the laundry charge was not resolved to your satisfaction, I hope you will let me know.

Reviewed December 4, 2009

I stayed here three nights for a business convention. It's centrally located downtown and it's about 20 minutes from the Phoenix airport. The hotel staff was very friendly, helpful and was able to handle a large convention crowd of people checking in and out very quickly. They were efficient and got you your room key very quickly. The room key worked on the first try also. They really knew their jobs and the hotel wisely had several extra front desk clerks to handle the first day check in load. The entrance to the hotel has a large, covered valet area reminiscent of hotels in Las Vegas. There are quite a few capable valets eager to help you with your car/bags but were not overbearing, etc. There is also parking below the hotel that is accessed from this front area.

The room I stayed in was your typical business room, a somewhat tight, rectangular room but comfortable and very clean. Everything appeared to be brand new and the bathroom seemed to be recently updated. I was on the 14th floor and it had a nice view of the city and the mountains in the distance. My room had two queen beds which were very comfortable with alot of different types of pillows. There was a desk area and coffee station in the room along with Wi-Fi to access the Internet. (It was provided free to us during the convention but I'm not sure if you are charged as a regular traveler) There was a closet to hang clothes and dressers/nightstands, etc. The hotel provided our convention with breakfast and lunch and the food was excellent. The convention areas are massive and are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors, the lodging rooms above that. There is bar in the lobby that has lounge chairs, etc. to mingle and other restaurants but the drink prices were high at the hotel bar. There is a small convenience store located in the lobby area as well as free Internet printing kiosks so that you can print out documents like boarding passes, etc before heading out to the airport. If you are a sports fan, you are walking distance to the Diamondback's baseball stadium and the Sun's US Airways Arena. The hotel is about 25 minutes to the Cardinal's football stadium and about 30 minutes to Scottsdale. The only downside to this hotel would be the elevators. When the place is fully loaded with a conference, there is sometimes a considerable wait to get an elevator especially if you are on an upper floor especially during break times or the end of a day.

But, Phoenix is a weird town. It's a clean, safe city but there are no people walking around. It's dead both during the day and night. Even though you are "downtown", it doesn't seem like there's ever anything going on. The hotel is located near the Univ. of AZ downtown campus, but we didn't see that many college students. We found some restaurants didn't open until 5pm. One night, we went to a sports bar called Majerle's about a block from the US Airways Arena where a Sun's basketball game was going on. In the bar, there were only a few people there besides us and the area around the arena was a ghost town. It's almost like a Neutron bomb went off where the buildings are left standing but there are no people left. The weather was great that week in the 80s. There's very little traffic around town so getting to and from places is very easy.

Overall, it's a comfortable, clean hotel for business travelers and conventioneers . The location is close to the airport and the city downtown. Phoenix itself was somewhat disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business