“Ok for a Convention hotel, wouldn't stay here for a pleasure trip.”

Sheraton Grand Phoenix
Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We stayed here for a convention at the Phoenix Convention Center. The Sheraton is your typical business hotel. You pull up, the bell boy about gets run over trying to get you out of the car and get your bags out of the trunk. He says to go ahead and check in and he'll be there with our bags in our room. Check in was smooth, no glitches. Go to our room, within 5 minutes the bell boy is at our door with our bags. That was nice. We were on the 22nd floor and had a nice view of Phoenix. The room was very clean, though need to clean carpets, was a heavy traffic area at the door and going into bathroom. Which is odd for only being a year old, but tan carpet and shows everything. The bed is awesome. Had a perfect nights sleep every night. Even took apart the bed to see what brand it was to buy one at home. Other than that, I wasn't too impressed on the hotel. The service was great, but the price is expensive, for everything.

If you want to be "green" you can opt out of maid service and get a $5 card for a beverage which will cost you another $4 for one drink. The restaurant is over priced and never ate there because of it. We went across the street to the Arizona Center. There are a ton of restaurants over there for lunch and dinner. We had to walk around a bit to find breakfast and found a great place across the street from the Hyatt name Steve's Greenhouse Grill. They opened at 6:30am and only 3 blocks from the Sheraton. Internet is $12.95 a day. And I understand that people that travel a lot usually have their own internet, but those who don't, that's outragegous.

Location is great for the Convention. 2 short blocks. Phoenix has an issue with pan handlers. Within those 2 blocks you will probably get asked at least 3 times for change. Nightlife seemed good for dinner, but not night clubs, which is just fine by me. There were no ball games that week otherwise I think it would be swamped. Wanted to go to Hard Rock, but never got there. There is not a lot of shopping opportunities at this time, but heard that there will be in 2010.

Like I said before, it was ok for a business hotel and convention. But if I were to stay in Phoenix for pleasure I would stay at a resort and enjoy the golf and relaxation. Overall yes, it's a good hotel just very expensive for basic things.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank bleachergal
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Phoenix

Reviewed November 17, 2009

As a "green" hospitality/marketing professional I am always looking for those programs that exemplify social responsibility in a hotel or resort. I stayed at this property for a week and must say from the staff to the level of service provided everything was very nice. I especially loved the $5 credit per night by participating in their towl and linen program. They are a short one block walk to the convention center and across from great restaurants. A great business hotel, just a short ride from the airport. I'd love to see them get rid of their plastic water bottles in their guest rooms to really further their green efforts.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I'm a gen. mgr. of a small northern Michigan Best Western and I've gotta
let readers know how this hotel's staff impressed me. Every encounter from
bellmen, front desk, concierge, housekeepers, and Stacy in the Club
Lounge were very professional and you could really tell they enjoyed
their jobs. I spent a good hour chatting with Stacy and this gal is
going places. I hope Leo (the gen. mgr.) is paying her well cause I told
her if she can stand the snow in the winter she can have a job at our
hotel. She is just bubbling with personality and you can truly tell how
much she loves working there. She told me about how much her gen. mgr.
does for his staff, his humble beginnings, and how much they love him.
That really impressed me and I told her she embodies what we at our
hotel call "heroic hospitality". I hope you really appreciate the asset
you have, she's a gem. I also want to tell you about a housekeeper, and
I hope I spell her name correctly, Shaquel. Late around 11 pm I stepped
out of my room to find a snack and she happened to be right outside my
door way going into their employee break room. I asked where the snack
machines was and she asked what I was looking for. I replied, something
like a candy bar. She said they had them in the break room and would go
get me one. I asked how much, grabbed her the money, and in a flash she
was back with a Snickers and then handed me a bottle of water to wash it
all down. Above and beyond on service! She could easily have brushed me
off and sent me down the hall or whereever they keep the snack machines
for guests, but instead, took a few minutes out of her job to impress a
guest. These are just two examples of the staff amongst many I
encountered. I know they may feel like they are just "doing their job",
but being a guest, instead of the general manager, inspired me to be
sure these little things are not overlooked at our hotel. Leo, you have
a wonderful bunch of people, and from the spotless rooms, and everything
else I encountered you will do well and I have no hesitation
recommending this hotel, especially if you travel on business. Keep up
the great job, and tell Stacy she is always welcome to come to Traverse
City, MI and we will have a job waiting for her! Russ W. Cole, General
Manager, Best Western Four Seasons. Sorry, earlier review got deleted because I didn't see email about verifying ownership.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank RWCole
Reviewed October 31, 2009

I stayed here for two nights and used the hotel for sleeping and breakfasting only. It provided everything I needed for a business trip and I found the staff to be helpful, efficient and a pleasure to deal with. It's very much a bustling business hotel and I would find it an unpleasant place to be for leisure, but since Phoenix has nothing to attract the leisure visitor this point is probably moot. The hotel is overpriced.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2009

We are so pleased that you found our hotel such an ideal location for your business trip. Since we are a few blocks from the convention center, we are proud to partner with the City of Phoenix in hosting so many important and exciting business groups to our downtown area.

Now that our beautiful weather is upon us and will be with us for the next several months, there will be many opportunities for the leisure traveler as well. Our location would also be ideal as your home if you wanted to schedule a few day trips to either the north or south of Phoenix and explore this great state.

In any case, business or leisure, we look forward to welcome you back home.

Reviewed October 16, 2009

The Sheraton is a lovely hotel, not one i could afford myself but luckily I was there for a conference. Downtown is normally where the good bars & restaurants are but in the case of Phoenix downtown there is very little going on. You won't go hungry/thirsty but if it's shopping you want go elsewhere.

Go to 'Olive & Ivy' in Scottsdale (~12 miles away) for great food and ornate restrooms.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2009

Thank you so much for your comments on our Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel. City Scape, a mixed use tower will open in June of 2010 and is just a few short blocks away. They just recently announced some terrific retail tenants that will occupy a large portion of the tower and will be a wonderful additon to our hotel, and our city.

Once again thank you for your gift of feedback...we look forward to connecting with you in the future!

Reviewed October 8, 2009

I planned a meeting for our company and went around the Phoenix area to locate a good hotel that had good accommodations, meeting space and nearby entertainment. I came upon the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown. They gave me the best package I could ever hope for, but when I got there for my meeting they far surpassed my expectations. Every staff member that I came in contact with was courteous, professional and took care of my needs immediately. I've never had better customer service. The Arizona Center is also located across the street from the hotel and had many choices of restuarants and shopping places and it even has movie theaters. I would definelty come back to this hotel on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank mgpier95
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Where to start?

Service? Well that's a mixed bag.

Bad: The young woman that checked us in assured us that the room was not close to an elevator or vending. We always ask because we are light sleepers. Vending and ice were right across the hall. First impression - lousy. She also told us our room card would work in the parking lot. Also wrong. In fact, during the entire 5 day stay it worked a total of once, after being told repeatedly that it was programmed and would work.

Good: When we went back down about the room and vending the young man that helped us got us into a nice corner room. The bathroom layout was weird, but hey, no noisy junk outside the door. The room had a great view of Camelback and my wife now knows why it has that name. While I was waiting one afternoon for my wife to exit a meeting I stopped and had a Guinness at the bar. I had a great conversation with a black gentleman whose name I have forgotten (I cannot remember names!), but impressed me greatly. I wish I would have had more time to talk with him.

Cleanliness was okay. There were some paperclips and paper, etc in the hall on our floor for the whole stay. The room was very well cleaned.

The restaurant, as expected was obnoxious in it's pricing. Especially considering there was a food court right across the street with plenty of good choices. Every time I walked by it was deserted. Management probably can't figure out why.

The only reason I went this time was the opportunity to drive down to one of my brother's houses south of Tucson. If not for that I would have stayed home.

I doubt I would stay here if I was paying. Rates are ridiculous or what is offered. I will recommend it to business travelers on an expense account, though.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business