“Nice hotel in a dead downtown”

Sheraton Grand Phoenix
Ranked #18 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Anchorage, Alaska
“Nice hotel in a dead downtown”
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I arrived on a Sunday - very convenient to the convention center, even if 2 blocks away in 115 degree heat. Despite the heat, the air conditioning was very efficient (I am from Alaska, so AZ was hot, and have stayed in hotels in hot climates that can't cope with the heat). The room was nicely appointed, flat screen hi-def tv, roomy, nice view (I was on the 28th floor). Roomy lobby with bar and very good restaurant (which is important as there seems to be a dearth of decent restaurants downtown, which is dead after the workday). The pool is small, and when I tried to use it, filled with kids which I wasn't interested in. If I had to go to downtown Phoenix again, I would stay here (and get a rental car, the downtown is truly dead, and Phoenix doesn't seem bad to drive around). Service was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Mid-State, NY
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed for 4 days in July where the temps rarely dropped below 96 degrees. The hotel is new and fresh, modern and reflects the Southwest surroundings. It's location is perfect for what we needed to do. We took in a D'backs game, walked to Chase. The hotel staff was terrific, there were 1200 of us conventioners and most of the stay went flawlessly. The only setback was at 5PM, when the entire 1200 of us were finished for the days meetings, three of the four elevators to take anyone past the 18th floor were not working. Thus creating an over 45 minute delay to get to our rooms. Climbing 26 flights in un-airconditioned stairwells was not an option. The room was fantastic, bed was very comfortable. However, early in the morning when a thousand guests need to shower, there is a loss of water pressure up on the top floors, although there was never a loss in the temp of the water.
Overall, I would return, however, not in July!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TheConstantTraveler3
Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 20, 2009

This is a brand new hotel, in fact, I don't think my room had ever been used. The place was amazing. Staff, highly trained and efficient. There are 2 bars and a restaurant. All are fabulous.

The rooms are large and the downtown location is central to the conference center. I would certainly stay here again (and have)

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
x0me880x
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Once again, I was in town for a concert. I knew I was not going to spend much time in the hotel as I was going to go straight from the airport, check in, then off to the venue. I had never been to Phoenix and was only there till the next morning. It was between this and the Hyatt and am very happy to have picked the downtown Sheraton. From the moment my driver pulled up I was greeted warmly, my bags where taken and the bellman proceded to welcome me to the hotel. While walking me to the front desk to check in he talked about how the hotel was just built in October, he told me about the wireless in the loby, the business center, the bar, etc. Check in was fast and easy and I then headed to my room. I was on the 6th floor and had a view of nothing but the building next to me, but that was ok, a view is not always important to me. The room was spacious, comfortable, and the bed was extremly comfy. I wish I could offer up a better review, but again I was not there much and didnt use any facilities they offer. I was blown away by the how kindly I was welcomed, and the entire hotel was just beautiful. This hotel does not offer free wifi in your room, but it is offered in the loby for hotel guests. They also offer computers with internet for hotel guests to use at there desire.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank x0me880x
San Francisco
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I stayed here for a conference held downtown at the convention center. I was walking distance with several downtown restaurants including Sheraton's own to pick from. Options are more limited however and a car would be more helpful to get outside of the downtown area for better eating and shopping options. Everything was very clean and Sheraton's usually comfy bedding. Modern details throughout hotel and in room - clean lines, uncluttered. Staff was friendly. Options for valet park or self-parking. Self parking was $16/day. Overall I was quite pleased with my stay and enjoyed the accommodations. It is a higher quality Sheraton.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank SFCrabette
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
I wanted to thank you personally for your wonderful comments with regards to our hotel. It was impressive to know that you recognized the more modern look and feel of Sheraton. While the look and feel of any hotel is comforting, it is the service that we take so much pride in.

Thank you again for your comments and please feel free to contact me personally if I can ever be of any assistance to you!

Regards,

Leo
Matawan, New Jersey
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I'm not big fan of Sheraton Hotels, I usually refer Hiltons or Hyatts. But after being told about this new hotel, I gave it a try. And you know what?, I was retty impressed. The bell staff and vatel guys were all great. They even got to know me by mane and knew my vehicle. They were helpful with directions and even saving me money. Instead of taking one of teh Town Cars stationed at the hotel (instead of taxis) they called a ped-cab for me. The ped-cab drivers work on tips only. The hotel was nice, teh rooms were big and very clean. The bed was kind of too doft for my tastes,. but not saggy, must have been a pillow top, Thes Link cafe and resurant was clean and decent. Enjoyed evenings in eth lobby bar that was was very comfy. I would welcome another stay here

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
leoper, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this review, July 3, 2009
Thank you for the wonderful feedback on our Sheraton Hotel here in Phoenix! I loved you're feedback with regard to the Pedicabs here in Phoenix.
They are certainly economical but equally as important is that they require no fuel!

I would be more then happy to assist your next reservation here in Phoenix where I can be certain you get a firmer mattress.

If your not a Starwood Preferred Guest Member I strongly urge you to do so and not only can you earn valuable points towards your next stay with us, but we can with your permission put preferences that you may have this way we can prepare for your stay well in advance.

Look forward to connecting with you soon.

Regards,

Leo Percopo
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed June 15, 2009

So the company finally sends me somewhere I want to go...no more of this small-town Nebraska stuff! Hello, Phoenix! Hotel was great for a Sheraton. New 8 months ago. Still looks it. The elevators are fast and efficient...I don't know what other reviewers were thinking! 8 elevators total (4 for 1-17 and 4 for 8-32); I never waited more than 1 minute for an elevator and the hotel was full.

Pros:
Attentive staff; from the bellhops to the front desk to maid service, they were all exceptional
Bar in lobby is wonderful place to gather with colleagues
Conference center is 2 blocks away and an easy safe walk
Beds are the best of any hotel I've ever stayed at
Across the street is an AMC theatre and small shopping area with lots of good places to eat
Work out center is phenominal with all-new equipment
Bigger bathroom than most hotels

Cons:
Parking is expensive and no free shuttle to/from airport
No free breakfast
No free wi-fi
Small pool; I expected something more than a small rooftop for the desert climate

Great place to stay if you have the change in your conference budget. I paid conference rate of $139/night. I would stay here again. And, as many of you know that have read my other reviews, I always stay at Hiltons when I can...Sheraton got this one right.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business