“Excellent Stay”

Sheraton Grand Phoenix
Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton over New Years Eve. Had a great experience. The hotel is very centrally located in downtown Phoenix and you can easily walk to all of the attractions. Our room was very nice with a great view. Spent some time in the District lounge within the hotel. A nice place to have a drink and they had a jazz band playing. The check-in and out process was a little strange, but I think they were very busy and the hotel was full.

• Stayed: January 2012
leoper, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2012

Response to: Excellent Stay

________________________________________________________
We’re getting pretty excited about so many people choosing to stay with us during
New Years Eve; we’ve worked hard to make those nights special and festive, between the decorations and music, the specialty drinks that we offer and of course the food, it all seems to come together better and better each year.

I’m really happy to hear how much you enjoyed yourselves ringing in the New Year - the very best to you and yours in 2012.

Come back and see us again soon.

Warm Regards

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Phoenix

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Although my trip to the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown was for business, I would definately stay here for pleasure. The staff was extremely plesesant; I was treated as a VIP. Great Hotel.

Room Tip: Great view of Camelback mountain when your facing north
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I have a mixed review. I'm rating this as excellent, but I did encounter problems.

While visiting a family member in the hospital, I neglected to book a hotel. This was a few days after Thanksgiving at the begining of December. Almost everywhere near, or around the hospital was booked up. I thought of the Sheraton, because I know for a fact they have 1,000 rooms, and highly doubted that all one thousand rooms would be booked. As I inquired about the rooms, Jess from the front desk was cheerful. and with a smile on her face; she says "Sir, we have one thousand rooms here at this property. We're not even close to being half full. I have plenty of rooms available." I had a AAA discount, and she quickly changed her mood and said "Oh, sorry. We're sold out of extending discounts." I was a little surprised at that. With not being close to half full as she says, you would figure that one would be more than happy to offer a discount to keep the customer from walking away. Not trying to squeeze every penny out of the customer.

I was tired at that point. Too tired to keep searching for a place to stay, and emotionally tired giving the situation with my family memeber being in the hospital. I said "That's fine, I got no other choice" I told her. She could tell I was upset aside from the price, and asked what was wrong. I was in needed of unloading my problems, so I told her. She offered her sympothy, and said the standard price was $179. With the hotel I work at, we're trained to say "The rate is ___ plus tax." I had flat out asked if the $179 was before or after tax, and she stood firm and said "$179" and wrote it on my key card. I have a friend that works for a Westin near Anaheim, but he was unable to fax over the paperwork to get me a Starwood Family/Friend Rate. I'll be honest. The lobby is warm and inviting. The lights are very low for ambiance, but it is hard to see inside, especially at the front desk. My room was small, but nice. The HVAC unit didn't work, and I did report it, but nothing was ever done about it. Jess was nice enough to send up a complementary plate of heart shaped chocolates, and wrote a nice note on it.

To me, that showed she cared. The bed was very comfortable, but since I was on the 27th Floor, it did get chilly over night. On check out, I spoke with another front desk agent, and noted to her that maintence had never came by to my room to look at the HVAC unit, and she didn't seem to care. She was a blonde lady. I was hoping to get a discount for the trouble, but she said "I'll forward this to my manager, and someone will contact you in a few days." No one ever did. My final bill was over $200. I said "I was told it was $179. I had asked a few times if that rate was before or after tax, and I got the same answer '$179.' "

This desk agent said "Well, I don't know why she didn't tell you it was $179 plus tax. I do apologize." I only made a fuss about my cold room, because when you take a nice hot shower, and open the bathroom door, you're greeted by the cold air in the room. Overall, I was pleased by the hotel, with the exception of the minor problems. The decor was nice. Their grand Christmas display was very nice. The bartender was great also.

Room Tip: If you're a Starwood Prefered Guest, you get a "upgraded room" from the 18th floor or...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I was there during Christmas weeken and due to that reason everything was slow and quiet. The hotel is located right next to convention center as well
As ASU. However, the hotel is not located near many stores, bars etc. this area is mainly a business district. The room was very clean. The bed was very nice. It was very comfortable. I had a queen bed, the sheets were clean and soft. The room was carpeted. The bathroom was very clean. The room had complimentary water bottles. Has a fridge. Self parking per night was $17.00. If i ever go back to Phoenix AZ I def will stay there.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 21, 2011

What a magical night it was! The ballroom where we had our party looked like the holidays with exquisite decorations on each table - and the food was absolutely delicious! - not your usual fare when you attend one of those types of functions. We stayed overnight - and the bed was so comfortable that I fell fast asleep and had one of the best night's of sleep I've had in a long time. The holiday decorations throughout the hotel were unforgettable - especially the train under the tree. And the people who work there are genuine - they really care - and they want to make sure that your stay is nothing but perfect! We'll be back!

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony and a view.
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Staff is friendly and hardworking, and the gym is huge and full of great workout equipment. Nice rooms, good location right across the street from the Arizona Center mall. Would be nice to have free wifi in the room, but they do have it in the lobby. Overall a good hotel stay.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

The hotel is easy to get to by car from Airport or major feeds into Phoenix. There is a signficant charge for parking in the undergound garrage.

Lobby is very large, open, noisy and cold. Music plays loud most of the time, there are a lot of functions and side activities going on.

Rooms are nice, but average in almost every way. The shower has curtains so flooding is a threat.

The room I had was stuffy, I could smell the odour of the person who occupied the room prior to me. I found in the evening that the airconditioner was so cold that I had to switch it off. This then adds up, the room is stuffy as people turn the very cold air conditioner off! I spoke to the concierge about this and was advised this does not usually happen and may be because it was a cold spell and everyone was drawing on heat. No compensation or solution offered.

Breakfast was average. There was little variety and what was there was either high in fat or sugar.

Overall it is a good hotel, with some plus and some minus. I would check the alternatives if I was in Pheonix again but would not rule this out.

Room Tip: Check the temperature as soon as you get in the room, make sure it will blow warm air when set high...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo