“Good location for Chase Field and US Airways center”

Sheraton Grand Phoenix
Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Sheraton Phoenix downtown is a great location spot if you are visiting an event at the D'backs baseball field or US Airways center (Suns basketball) or convention center. Seems to be a good safe location - did not see many police nor did we ever feel unsafe or worried about being out after dark. This is irrelevant for some I suppose because I do carry a gun at all times so I never feel unsafe. The good news is that AZ is open carry and concealed carry friendly for those of legal age and not licensed to carry elsewhere just note that the venues mentioned above are off-limits for guns. Food choices are limited downtown but there are a few gems within walking distance if you don't mind the $$-$$$ price range restaurants. There is a Subway, Einstein bagles, Starbucks, and Hooters right there around the hotel. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant which looked decent but pricey. Access to freeway is convenient and a short hop in a car to neighboring areas (20min) gets you any kind of food style you want. Traffic does bunch up at rush hour though so plan ahead. The hotel itself was a nice typical Sheraton.. very accomodating friendly staff with good condition bldg. Underground self-parking was slightly pricey $17/night but cheaper than east coast or west coast places and convenient. The lot is open to public so it does fill up with non-hotel visitors and can force you to park a block and a half away in an overflow lot late at night. Rooms are modern with nice HD tv setup and bathroom facilities. We did have a slightly sagging bed in a dbl room which was reported. There is only ONE water fountain in the hotel and it's on pool deck. AZ was 113F while we were there and I was shocked that such a place didn't have water fountains... therefore. rely solely on bottled water. The pool was small but good for kids and family to cool off. WiFi is ridiculously overpriced $12/24hr period... this is wrong. WiFi should ALWAYS be free for registered guests. If you want free wifi the lobby has a signal at no cost to guests but who wants to sit in the lobby and do computer work that should be free in your room? Really Sheraton? Come on!! The other odd thing about the hotel is that there are 2 elevator routes and only goes to the parking garage - the other goes to the floors in the high teens and 20's. Inconvenient ridiculous design. Not a bad place but just little quirks and of course my pet peeve which is to charge guests for internet access.

Room Tip: check in as early as possible - get a high room facing any direction and enjoy the sights
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank PhilThePhotographer

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stayed here for a business trip and was very convenient to all of Downtown Phoenix. Also very convenient walking distance to the Convention Center. If just coming to the Convention Center you will not need a car. Everything is in walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DDB0726
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Traci is opne of the friendliest and professional waitresses I have had in a long time. I highly recommend her for comendation!

Benny Ferguson

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank bennyagwm
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights to attend a convention from Aug. 1-6, 2011 overall we had great time except for the weather which averages 113 almost everyday and one bad incident Friday afternoon with one of the baggage handler when we asked for a shuttle services schedule. He responded rudely and I reported it to the management. One bad apple ruins the whole experience. Because of the incident we are not coming back to this hotel. We went to visit the Arizona Science Center and we enjoyed it.

Room Tip: We were at the Club level with free breakfast from 6-11am and refreshments in the afternoon from 4-7...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank joespie
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed three nights at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel to attend a conference. I had a north-facing room on the 11th floor. This is a stunning property: the lobby features truly fabulous artwork and many pleasant seating areas. My room was spacious and had furniture and lighting in abundance, without feeling crowded. (I really liked the armchair by the window.) I also appreciated the spacious feel of the bathroom: there was room enough to use the tub, sink, and toilet without bashing into anything else, which is not often the case in hotels.

The fitness centre and pool were impressive, and I took advantage of both more than once. The fourth floor, where the fitness centre and pool are located, also features a deck area with native plants, where it's very pleasant to sit and enjoy the sun.

Convenient location, right downtown and within walking distance of the light rail transit.

Desk staff were excellent: very pleasant, and more than willing to go the extra mile to iron out an issue with payment on check-out.

I'd definitely consider staying here again, should I ever return to Phoenix.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the building don't get direct sun, so are cooler.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Beautiful room, nicely decorated. The room felt like walking into home and not a hotel room.
The half bath off the living area was a nice touch when traveling with a family. The beds were comfy and we had perfect control of the air conditioning.
I liked the security of having to use the room key to access your floor in the elevator, that was a nice safety feature.
The valet service gentlemen were helpful and friendly.
The only thing that was not nice was $12.95 per day for Wi-Fi in the room, but everything else was top notch!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Cami met greeted me warmly when I inquired about the resturaunt. She cheerfully described the fresh herb garden used by the chef. I`m so glad I kept my promise come back and try it. Cami remembered me and made me feel most welcomed.

Traci, my server was hospitable and accommodating, making recommendations that fit my taste and eating style. I chose the lunch special which included Spring rolls and a salad. When I was informed that they only had a half portion of Spring rolls left, I suggested another veggie substitute. Instead, Angie the Chef took the extra trouble to make another so that I could enjoy a full portion- what a lovely surprise! I`m so glad she did because they were the delightful!

I will definitely be back to ejoy the lovely, fresh atmosphere and food with staff that demonstrated hospitality at its finest!

Well done, Sheraton- Well done!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business