“Awesome”

The Breadfruit & Rum Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Breadfruit & Rum Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #192 of 3,176 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central City
Cross street: 1st Street, 3 Blocks South of Roosevelt
Transit: Light Rail stop #11 at Roosevelt and Central Ave. Walking distance, just a few blocks North of The Breadfruit & Rum Bar.
Description: The Breadfruit features cutting-edge modern Caribbean fare complemented by a spectacular arrangement of craft rum cocktails. Hailed as one of the Top 5 Innovative Chefs in the Valley in 2014, Executive Chef Danielle Leoni has lived up to that distinction with an avant-garde approach to blending local farm-fresh ingredients with tropical traditions. We offer new exciting choices that are expertly hand crafted using the finest ingredients available. You can expect sustainable seafood, locally grown organic produce, as well as locally raised meats. The cocktail menu from the Rum Bar is commanding attention for trailblazing creations as well. Our Cocktail menu showcases a unique blend of signature originals, and re-introduces well-known classics such as the Hemingway, Daiquiri and Mojito. The Breadfruit & Rum Bar brings a passion for setting the highest standard in tropical dining and craft cocktails. With a perfectionist approach to combining local influences with Caribbean fare and the most impressive collection of premium rums in the Southwest, The Breadfruit & Rum Bar is a destination among destinations.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Just had dinner at Breadfruit with three foodies. We all raved about our meals. Presentation was great, flavors were carefully balanced and tasty rum drinks. We stumbled upon The Breadfruit but I would direct you to go and put this on the top of your list.

1  Thank Stacy S

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Saved the best for last...

First off let me say this was a wonderful dining experience. The food was amazing and the chefs creativity with Jamaican cuisine should be celebrated. Sat outside on the boardwalk which was nice and had a few cocktails pre dinner.

The drinks were excellent. Anything with Wray & Nephew in it is top notch inmo. Had a few and they were consistently good. The bar was pretty cool too with rum barrels and Red Stripe bottle hanging lights setting the ambiance.

We had: white fish rolls, jerk scallops, red stripe curry prawns,escovitch red snapper. Delish !

They fly their blue mountain coffee in regularly. Memories of home

I wish we had this back in Toronto. Thank you Dwayne.

1  Thank Bullawhoop
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Ya know when your Jamaican friend brings you to eat here, you are going to eat well, and we did. We started with the fresh made daily rum punch, it changes every day & the night we went, it was and apple & cherry blend, very yummy!

APPETIZERS: we started with appetizers, we had the steamed mussels, scallops, and plantain/avocado spring rolls & fried plantains. They gave you lots of mussels, about 16 in the bowl, plenty for 4 people and they were good, not great. The avocado & plantain spring rolls were a fresh interesting taste, but the SCALLOPS were AMAZING! Probably the best scallops I have ever eaten! The only unfortunate thing about the scallops is that there are only TWO served! What is 2 scallops, I would have assumed 4 in a serving, that was why we ordered more! ;) Just be aware only 2 of those little bites of yumminess!

DINNER: I had the jerked street chicken, half of a "small" chicken. It was a huge portion! The jerked chicken was great but the thigh was not cooked thoroughly so I cut if off & asked them to put it back on the grill for a while since the rest of the chicken was fine & so good I did not want to give it back :) They ended up giving me a whole other half chicken for free! That obviously went home untouched (that night) but I appreciate the customer service by cooking a whole other chicken!
2 of my other friends had the goat, which was the most tender and amazing I have ever eaten, I have eaten goat many times. My other friend was teetering between the beef stew and something else and at the recommendation of a waitress she went with the stew.....great choice! All of our meals were so flavorful, but I appreciated the seasoning was different for EACH MEAL! I hate it when you go to an ethnic restaurant & every meat & veggie tastes the exact same. We all shared each others meals & every one of us were blown away by the flavor!

DESSERT: (Yes we were gluttons that night) we had 2 orders of fried plantains & a chocolate mousse dessert sample platter, 3 small chocolate bowls filled with homemade mousses & drizzled with different glazes...everything was very good!

Also I would like to comment on the customer service. We started in the bar area with a young lady who was serving us our rum punches & explaining the rum flights, then we moved to the restaurant portion and a very attentive waiter, but what i really enjoyed was how every server treated every table like it was their table. If we needed water or had a question, every server seemed more than happy & very knowledgeable & eager to help! You don't get that much anymore, often times if it's not your server, they seem bothered by you or say they will send your server to you. This customer service did not go unnoticed!
I'm not from the are, but when I do go back to visit my friends, we will definitely come back here!

My only complaint is that this is a small area and the seating is pretty tight, ya need more room for more people to enjoy your awesome food!

1  Thank JessRich0819
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Small place off Central in Downtown, but full of charm! Staff people are knowledgable on rum, as well as the exotic menu items. We've been there several times and it's always busy. Nice selection of cigars and a nifty covered patio to enjoy them.

1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We tried The Breadfruit for the first time and were pleased with our experience. Server was informative and helped with our selections. We had the daily rum punch and it was very tasty! All entrees were well presented and pretty delicious. However it took a long time to get food and parking was tough to find on a busy down town night.