“Dirty, Dated and Disgusting”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #32 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Los Angeles
“Dirty, Dated and Disgusting”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Ew! What a terrible place! The best comparison to this place would be a random roadside Motel. Old rooms, tube tv's, tiny bathroom, postage stamp sized towels - the whole place just looked and felt dated and dirty. The food offerings were barely a step above fast foods. The crowd this place attracted looked more like a methamphetamine convention group - tatoos, grossly obese etc. - I could not wait to leave and get a clean shower. The room furniture was old and the place looked like they ran out of money for maintenance/updating. I would not put my toe in any pool/water park water - this place just gave me the chills and grossed me out in all respects.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ScottandLaurie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Overall stay was pleasant through a busy weekend. Food is average, rooms are clean & waterpark nice. We left our valuables in the room safe the day of checkout with the intent of checking out of room via room TV prior to the 12:00PM checkout time. left 'do not disturb' sign on door. Arrived at room at 11:45 to find sign taken away. used my key to enter room to find maid finishing up. The maid gestured for me to leave; I tried to explain that i was checking out & getting my valuables, however, she did not understand english. She apparently left to get security & returned with 3 of them demanding my identification. I explained what I was trying to do, however, they still demanding ID. After showing the ID he stated they have a lot of security problems & he was protecting my valuables. Interestingly he had no paperwork to determine or verify my name, nor did he apologize after I suggested one was in order...just stating that they have a lot of security problems. I sought out the general manager who was not on site, but, did speak to the acting manager who apologized. not sure what their big security problems are, but, unfortunately its not a very nice way to treat a paying guest with his family. i've stayed in hotels around the world & have not been treated as though I was a criminal. The acting manager didn't offer any free meals or drinks considering the situation. The staff needs to speak the language of their guests.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
I had the opportunity to speak directly with this reviewer and apologized for the negative impression and expressed my appreciation for taking the time to share their experience with us. It is a top priority for us to provide a safe environment for all of our guests

Paul Gray
Brookfield, Connecticut
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We checked into the Arizona Grand looking forward to 3 days of rest and relaxation to recharge after our trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. After waiting 30 minutes to check in we proceeded to our room in the Camelback suites, which would probably normally be a great location. You could hear the yelling before we even entered the courtyard and found about 40 girls in the pool yelling Marco Polo and having chicken fights. When we got to our room we called the desk to change our room to a more quiet location and were told that the resort was full and there were 700+ girls basketball players dispersed throughout the resort and there was nothing they could do for us, but they would look into it and call us back. We waited about 1/2 hour and didn't hear back so we called the Hilton close by and checked out, it took about 1/2 hour at the desk before we could check out and at that time the manager said he could give us a good rate on a casita. Since we were already told the teams were throughout the resort we decided to check out anyway. This was not at all what we were expecting for a resort, the short time I was there I felt like I was in a college dorm.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The one thing that struck me about our stay, was how friendly and helpful all of the employees were. They always asked did you enjoy this or that etc.
The resort is very clean, food was good and plentiful.
I loved the stay, and would highly recommend it to anyone!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Kansas
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We love this resort. We stayed 3 nights in V425 in the Villas and our room was just great. The bed was absolutely wonderful, large bathroom, flat screen tv, in room coffee, great view of the water park, very quiet, and very, very clean. We did'nt use the water park but we walked through it. What a great place for kids and families we just did'nt have time. The entire resort is just beautiful and immaculate. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. It's a large resort so they have golf carts to take you to your room or anywhere you want to go at the resort. There is a shuttle that will take you to the Arizona Mills Outlet Mall just a few minutes away and they were always on time taking and picking up. We ate at the lobby bar and it was good the Pina Coladas where great! One evening we ate at the Rustler's Rooste and it was just OK. Don't get the ribs. Someone told us the ribs weren't very good but my daughter got them anyway and she didn't care for them at all. Prime Rib and Pork Chops were good. We went to Kona Grill in Chandler they have great food and a wonderful atmosphere. Love the Arizona Grand Resort!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Arizona Grand did a whole new renovation to its property...its in phoenix but NO CACTUSES! This resort is self containing and no need to leave property. Variety of restaurants on site, all the fun the kids could even want, the resort has a water park that is hands down the best at any hotel/resort. Need to improve guest rooms tho with a ceiling fan in the bedroom, over the bed...and flat screen tv's in all rooms would put the final touch on a great destination resort! will stay again and recommend to all my friends and family..Great rates for corporate clients also....New villas are there as well and for sale with great options for reimbursement on your unit if the hotel needs your villa when you are not using it! New ideas, New rooms, New hot spot in the desert...AZ Grand Resort

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
phoenix
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The Arizona Grand Resort represents quality. We received warm and pleasant reception from the staffs and the room and other facilites are outstanding. This place is perfect for family activities as well as for business travelers who wish to conduct meetings and conventions and unwind after a hard day's work..

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business