“Great nights sleep”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I stayed here early may 2007 with my mother and a few friends. we had a 1 bedroom suite that only cost us about $100 We walked in and had to wait a few minutes to get our room key but that was no problem, finding the room was a little tricky though but they gave us directions when we asked. our room ended up being right above the pool area which was beautiful and quiet and it had a staircase right outside to get there. the best part of this hotel was the waterpark! you get in free with your stay which me and my friend really liked, only downside was they had a no shoes policy and the ground was too hot to walk on so we had to run back to the room for water shoes. we actually saw more adults and older teens at the pool then we did children. the hotel has a couple of resteraunts which were very nice but kind of pricey. the hotel also has some cheap shops inside which came in handy after a bee sting incident, they gave us some free benedryl and an ice pack and called the room to make sure i was okay later on.

the room was incredibly comfortable it had a living room with sleeper sofa and a seperate bedroom with 2 queen beds and a bathroom and tv, the living room also had a tv plus a great kitchenette with stove microwave coffee pot and mini fridge.
we stayed there for 3 nights and would love to stay again some time.

only downsides were that if its raining the balcony can be incredibly slippery and you will want to dry it off before you step outside, you will slip if you dont, and the room we got was facing an ugly busy street and the rooms werent all too sound proof.

some features of the hotel are
hiking
horseback riding
golf
waterpark
conference center
they do weddings.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business

Reviewed June 9, 2010

I spent last weekend at this incredible resort to celebrate my daughter's 9th birthday. We purchased a Suite that overlooked the Oasis water park at the back of the property. From the time we arrived we were treated like we owned the entire place by the staff who constantly went out of their way to take care of us. I spent my time relaxing at the water park while my daughter and her friends danced on stage with a professional cheerleading squad. We also enjoyed the Lazy River and two of the tallest/fastest water slides I have ever seen in my life. They even hosted a movie at 8pm outside on a big projector screen by the tidal pool. It was very family friendly for young kids or teenagers. Even though it is very hot in Phoenix this time of year you can get some great summer rates and still enjoy the outdoors in the water. Give it a try!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We booked a couple nights here on a swing back from Vegas. We travel to Az often & normally stay with relatives. On this trip we thought we would stay at a local resort & based on reviews here & the resorts website it seemed to be an attractive option.

Let me say that the service & staff were absolutely first rate. Our issue was that this did not feel like any resort we had been to, it's more like a series of apartment buildings next door to a golf course & water park that both have seen better days. The water park was ok, but the big issue there was that the water was filthy, like dirty bath water except with dead bugs & a occasional cigarette butt.

It may be that we were spoiled by the Mandalay Bay @ $150 less a day, with it's lushious grounds, crystal clear pool water & attractions w/in. We left & went to our relatives house & swam in a clean pool. We paid for our 1 night & checked out. It may have been that a wedding was going on but the clientel was not what we have found at other results, 20 something hip hoppers drinking to excess, using profanity & hanging out in the parking lots (which is what all the rooms overlook, google earth it) playing loud bass.

The rooms were clean and well appointed but there is no security anyone could wander onto the property, there is no gated access.

The staff was outstanding but the property is poorly set out & obsolete. The price is not justified.

resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2010

We appreciate your patronage and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Thank you for the positive comments on our service and staff. I would like to mention that the Arizona Grand Resort does employ a full security staff on property 24 hours a day and that our Oasis Water Park is a private, fully gated facility and only open to resort guests. I do invite the reviewer to contact me directly and share further details of their experience. It is my hope that we will have the opportunity to offset any negative impression

Paul Gray

Reviewed June 6, 2010

This hotel is very racist and it really shows when it comes to service! We were always having to look for our server and she was very rude never smiled for that matter really never said anything. Took my kids to the bufffet and they were in a hurry to get us out of there very rude!! You would think for the money we spent here they could at least try being more polite!! Will not be staying here again!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank freebird18
Reviewed June 4, 2010

This is a great place to stay at very clean. The water park is awsome the kids loved it there and so did the adults. They food was great to. Rooms VEry clean Very nice. I have been back 2 times and never been dissapointed.

1  Thank cindyoz
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We have some beautiful resorts in the Phoenix area that offer great rates in the hot summer months. For Memorial weekend I choose the Arizona Grand. We wanted a "stay-cation" where we could enjoy a weekend together with 4 adults and 2 children.
We had a wonderful time as a family but I can't give the hotel all the credit.

The rooms were ok. Two room suites. TVs were old/small and there weren't a lot of frills. For us it was still ok. Small pools by each of the buildings was nice. The water park was a shock because of the crowds. Standing room only on Sunday. Felt like everything was dirty and crowded and not very relaxing. The next day was better. We got down to the water park at 9:00 am and there was a long line waiting to open at 9:30. However, we did get a nice spot and it made a big difference. Employee told me they have an average of 6000 people on a summer holiday.

The food in the water park was WAY over priced and you can't bring anything in. Drinks almost $10- a corn dog was $6. I generally don't complain about the cost of hotel food but since it was a Stay-cation it bothered me more.

The hotel has a well known restaurant at the top of the hill (hotel is at the bottom) called Rustler's Roost. I don't think I have ever had a good meal here but the atmosphere is amazing. Especially for you out of towners...you can see all of the valley and it is a spectacular view. The grandkids danced to the live band and went down the big slide. Kids ate free and our bill was cheaper than the pool grill. The cotton candy bouquet after dinner was all of our favorites. Entrees were just so-so. This is defintely an experience and not just a meal.

Food was MUCH better at the mexican restaurant in front of the hotel "Aunt Chiladas". Pricey but good and we enjoyed one last family meal before everyone went in their separate directions.

We enjoyed the weekend - biggest complaint was the crowds.

Reviewed June 1, 2010

I recently stayed at this resort to meet with friends and relax with the family. As part of the stay, I purchased an extra Oasis Access band for $30. The charge for the ban is per day for the length of your stay UNLESS you return the ban to the front desk. After a day at the pool, I returned the ban to make sure I would not be charged for the extra days and I was assured the charge would only be for the day of use. To make sure, I went by the next morning and I again was told everything was fine. On the day of checkout, the lines were long and I had to leave to catch a flight. I called to have my invoice sent to me and noticed that I was charged an extra day for the band. I called the front desk and was attacked by the customer service representative that I did not follow the rules.

I've stayed at several Phoenix resort properties and it's sad to say that this is not one of them. If you have young children and need to relax and not be bothered with the hassle of being charged for everything under the sun and then questioned on your invoice, I would go to Hilton Squaw Peak. Check it out before you book your trip.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

We were very concerned to read this review and invite the reviewer to contact us directly and share the details of their experience. It is our hope that we will have the opportunity to offset any negative impression.

Paul Gray