“Great Resort, but manage your expectations”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Fairfield County Connecticut
“Great Resort, but manage your expectations”
Reviewed March 29, 2009

After reading many reviews on this hotel - both positve and negative - I got a little nervous. I was familiar with the property when it was the Pointe at South Mountain, although my memory was very dated and vague (15+ years). We tried to get our pre-paid money back but were unsuccessful. My husband spoke with the Manager, several times, who assured us he would look out for us.

When we arrived we were cheerfully greeted by everyone- the bell hops/car valets, the front desk and the Manager on Duty. We were given a room that was in the recently completed Villas. It was marvelous (and my standards are high). Brand new, spacious, beautiful kitchen, HUGE bathroom, lovely bedroom, patio overlooking the water park, and living area with sleeping couch for my son. Everything was in mint condition. Even new flat screen TVs.

The water park is marvelous and our 11 year old son was happy to be there most of the day. Adults can get aways from the craziness at the water park (I mean, people running for pool chairs? Come on!) by hanging out at the Spa pool and I saw another Adults Only pool in a seperate location. The location right next to South Mountain park made me happy because I was able to get my morning hikes in on a very different terrain. The Gym/Spa were large and had plenty of equipment. Only ate breakfast on property twice - both times the food was only adequate. Otherwise we did not eat on property. The golf seemed OK - the golf staff was marvelous. There were no tennis courts which was disappointing because the website listed 10 tennis courts. I had a massage which was done quite well and reasonably priced.

I agree with other reviewers that the property is large - if you are staying away from the water park entrance or the Phantom Horse Grill and Gym/Spa area then you do have a walk. We were conveniently and centrally located in front of the park and beside the gym.

In terms of managing expectations - the overall property location is lousy (except for aforementioned South Mountain Park). It is right on the I-10 highway, and in the middle of strip mall heaven. Its about a 20+ minute drive to Scottsdale. On the upside, it's 2 miles from Tempe Diablo Stadium, and we did have Angels Spring Training tix!. Also, there is not much "plush" or luxurious about the property. The spa is adequate but not luxurious. What little spa amenities there are, are cheesy (e.g., generic brand baby powder, no shower gel in the showers, no lotion....). The food we had was sub-average, the landscaping is so-so, and the overall ambience is very "mall-like". But, again, we had a great room at a good value. Having the kitchen helped a lot with saving money on breakfast and snacks.

There was construction still going on. It looked like they were putting the finishing touches on the new lobby/restaurant/golf club. It should be very nice when completed. It looked close to being done when we were there in late March 2009.

Finally, the staff was very cheerful and friendly. Every last one of the people I interacted with was helpful and seemed to be pleased to be serving the Guests. I even saw the maid inside the shower stall spraying it to make sure it was totally clean.

I highly recommend the Villas!

1 Thank bayberrie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Portland, OR
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Went with my 2 teenage kids and wife for 4 nights during Spring Break. I've used Trip Advisor in the past and want to give back so I hope you find this review helpful.

This course is pretty tough - bring a lot of balls if you're anything more than a 20 handicap. The greens were ridiculously slow and really took away from our enjoyment of the course. I paid $200 for my 13 year old and myself which is steep. The course offers good variety and blends between links and desert style. It's also very close to the freeway on a few holes which is a bit distracting and noisy. We started our round and did not see a single beverage cart until the 17th hole which was a real bummer. Go figure!

Prices are standard for Resorts where you are pretty captive. You really need a car to get to anything off resort unless you want to dare the 6 lane higways and massive intersections to get to 'Claim Jumper' or 'Joes Crab Shack' down Baseline.

The service was very spotty. Most servers were fairly content just doing what they were told and nothing more.

The rooms were very clean and spacious with balconies. One drawback for us was proximity to construction of the new lobby which is 'supposed' to be complete on 4/9/2009. We never tried to change rooms because it wasn't really a distraction except when going to the main lobby through some of the construction area which was a bit of a hassle and not something you want to endure on vacation at a resort. The construction workers were exceptionally cordial as you passed by which made the inconvenience less unpleasant.

The gym was outstanding - probably the best part was the many classes offered throughout the day. There's also a great lap pool at the gym. Each complex also has its own pool and jacuzzi which gives you the chance to really get away if you want some quiet.

The Oasis Water Park was great and offers all sorts of activities from the lazy river to basketball/volleyball to dive in movies during the evening. 'The biggest drawback here was the service (it was just about impossible to get anyone to help us and worked best to just get it yourself) and most of the 'lifeguards' who are predominantly Asian transplants and exceptionally subdued.

At one point, I went down one of the waterslides and lost my magnetic bracelet (a personal item). I asked the lifeguard if he saw a bracelet come down - he said 'there's nothing check the front desk'. It was bizarre to say the least. When I tried to engage him, it was clear he had little grasp of english and even less interest in helping me so I gave up. The lifeguards appear to be on duty to police the activity in the lazy river making sure everyone has an inner tube as required by lazy river law. This seemed to be their mission and they were quite dour with a few exceptions. Blech!

I would say the service at the Oasis water park was the worst part of the trip but the water park itself was exceptional!

We stayed 4 nights. Per night we paid $239 + $30 taxes + $30 'Resort Fee' which is for the wi-fi cloud hanging over the resort (very very slow and sometimes hard to use), the USA Today paper, the water park and minor amenities.

Late breaking news...

We requested late check-out due to a late flight and were refused. Very tacky!

Phoenix
Reviewed March 27, 2009

The Arizona Grand is a great affordable resort for locals to go to getaway when they don't necessarily want to leave the valley. You can bounce from the pool, wave pool, water slides, lounge in the lazy river, or have a server bring you a drink while you lounge in your chair. If you enjoy golf I have heard the golf course is great. You can even work out at the health club. We even floated in the pool at night and watched a movie. They called it a "dive in movie". My kids loved it. We ordered food, watched the movie and ate. They were so tired by the end of the night, we went back to the room and they went to sleep to start over the next day!! We will definitely be back to enjoy a long weekend again!!If you haven't stayed here try it out!

Portland, OR
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We are actually still at the resort right now, but I felt compelled to write a review after reading some of the negative ones before we came. We are a family of four with two teenage boys and have had the BEST experience at the Arizona Grand. From the minute we arrived, the service has been nothing less than outstanding, the rooms are perfect for a family of four, and the pool and grounds are beautiful! We have pretty high standards, having traveled around the world, and the Arizona Grand seems to have something for everyone. Golf, hiking, swimming, exercise, etc. The Spa is outstanding, and the hiking on the South Mountain is wonderful. The only thing even remotely not outstanding would be the restaurants nearby, but they are 'fine'. It is NOT a far walk from one end of the resort to the other, despite what some other reviewers might think. We will DEFINITELY come here again!

Tennessee
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Just returned from 4 nights at the Arizona Grand. I scored a deal from a website for $199 per night which included some credits for daily amenities. I must say I had no idea what to expect. I've never stayed anywhere close to Phoenix and I was pleasantly surprised with the Arizona Grand. I just want to take my 2 teenage sons somewhere warm with things to do. This fit the bill. They really enjoyed what appeared to be a new waterpark. The slides were steep enough to get your heart racing and the lazy river was relaxing. It was a good crowd. The resort was large and spread out. We had a large newly remodeled room. Everything worked properly as advertised. We played golf one day. The course was in outstanding shape. Not a hard course, but the maintaince crew has obviously done a great job with the place. I could have played barefoot. The rough was even manicured. We ate a couple of the restaurants on property. I would refer the mexican place and the steak house on the hill, Rustlers Roost. Both had good quality food and great service. The fitness center was large and full of equipment. This is an excellent choice for families. Location is good.. Seemed to be a nice central location. The new lobby is scheduled for completion next week. There was some construction going on, but it was not a problem. I plan to return to the Arizona Grand.

Wisconsin
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My husband and I traveled with our 11 year old daughter and another couple with a daughter the same age and we all agree...it was a wonderful place to stay. We thought our adjoining suites worked out great and loved the fact that the pool was right outside our door. We spent alot of time at the Oasis and our girls thought the park offered plenty for them to do. We hiked, rode horses, and did some activities outside the resort as well. We would have appreciated the following things: a fridge that wasn't filled with mini-bar items so we could easily store our own things, a microwave, and windows that opened so we could enjoy the beautiful weather. We ate at Phantom Horse, Aunt Chiladas, Rustlers Rooste, the Oasis, the lobby food, and room service. I would have liked more afordable, better variety kid food (they get tired of chicken fingers, corn dogs etc.) The concierge, Martha, was very helpful and we found it was easy to connect with activities. Loved the dive-in movies and magic show!

TAC121972
Reviewed March 11, 2009

This resort used to be dedicated to luxury at a reasonable price with great service. Since their change to "Arizona Grand" the quality overall has deteriorated, the service is terrible and the management is pathetic.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Azgrmanager, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2009
We were very concerned to read this review and invite the reviewer to contact us directly and share the details of their experience. It is our hope that we will have the opportunity to offset any negative impression.