After reading many reviews on this hotel - both positve and negative - I got a little nervous. I was familiar with the property when it was the Pointe at South Mountain, although my memory was very dated and vague (15+ years). We tried to get our pre-paid money back but were unsuccessful. My husband spoke with the Manager, several times, who assured us he would look out for us.
When we arrived we were cheerfully greeted by everyone- the bell hops/car valets, the front desk and the Manager on Duty. We were given a room that was in the recently completed Villas. It was marvelous (and my standards are high). Brand new, spacious, beautiful kitchen, HUGE bathroom, lovely bedroom, patio overlooking the water park, and living area with sleeping couch for my son. Everything was in mint condition. Even new flat screen TVs.
The water park is marvelous and our 11 year old son was happy to be there most of the day. Adults can get aways from the craziness at the water park (I mean, people running for pool chairs? Come on!) by hanging out at the Spa pool and I saw another Adults Only pool in a seperate location. The location right next to South Mountain park made me happy because I was able to get my morning hikes in on a very different terrain. The Gym/Spa were large and had plenty of equipment. Only ate breakfast on property twice - both times the food was only adequate. Otherwise we did not eat on property. The golf seemed OK - the golf staff was marvelous. There were no tennis courts which was disappointing because the website listed 10 tennis courts. I had a massage which was done quite well and reasonably priced.
I agree with other reviewers that the property is large - if you are staying away from the water park entrance or the Phantom Horse Grill and Gym/Spa area then you do have a walk. We were conveniently and centrally located in front of the park and beside the gym.
In terms of managing expectations - the overall property location is lousy (except for aforementioned South Mountain Park). It is right on the I-10 highway, and in the middle of strip mall heaven. Its about a 20+ minute drive to Scottsdale. On the upside, it's 2 miles from Tempe Diablo Stadium, and we did have Angels Spring Training tix!. Also, there is not much "plush" or luxurious about the property. The spa is adequate but not luxurious. What little spa amenities there are, are cheesy (e.g., generic brand baby powder, no shower gel in the showers, no lotion....). The food we had was sub-average, the landscaping is so-so, and the overall ambience is very "mall-like". But, again, we had a great room at a good value. Having the kitchen helped a lot with saving money on breakfast and snacks.
There was construction still going on. It looked like they were putting the finishing touches on the new lobby/restaurant/golf club. It should be very nice when completed. It looked close to being done when we were there in late March 2009.
Finally, the staff was very cheerful and friendly. Every last one of the people I interacted with was helpful and seemed to be pleased to be serving the Guests. I even saw the maid inside the shower stall spraying it to make sure it was totally clean.
I highly recommend the Villas!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled at the base of America's largest urban park and wilderness preserve, Arizona's only AAA Four Diamond all-suite resort features spacious one and two-bedroom suites. Whether meeting with colleagues or vacationing with friends, gracious service, creative culinary delights, and unique recreational activities await. All in the midst of a tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and HotelsClick so you can book your Arizona Grand Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arizona Grand Hotel Phoenix
- Pointe South Mountain Resort
- Pointe South Resort
- Arizona Grand Phoenix
- Arizona Grand Resort