“nice rooms, mediocre overpriced food, lovely trails for hiking.”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #32 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Third Lake IL
“nice rooms, mediocre overpriced food, lovely trails for hiking.”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

5 night stay in a "mountain view" suite while attending a conference on site. The view was actually of the golf course,but the room itself was very clean and comfortable.The water park was closed while I was there so it was probably a little quieter than usual. By walking around the outer side of the golf course I was able to access some terrific hiking trails which did provide spectacular vistas. The conference center is a bit of a hike from the mountain view rooms, and the one time I called for a golf cart ride (as I had some items to carry), I waited 20 minutes and walked anyways. They had a happy hour at one of only three on site places to eat, it's called Aunt Chilada's. Outside of the happy hour drink prices, the rest of the experience was not great. We had chicken tacos that did not have but one tiny little shred of chicken. Same was true for the chicken nachos. There is also a steak house at the top of a hill (you need to get a transport to get over there). While it has a lovely view, the food was not very good. I had the mixed grill and both the fish and steak were overcooked. It is probably fun for families with kids as they have a slide and serve complimentary cotton candy for desert- and maybe the burgers are a better choice for this place. The lobby bar and restaurant are obscenely overpriced. One of my colleagues had a Villa, and that was a very nice one bedroom suite with a full kitchen and living room area. It is also closer to the conference center.
The location is very convenient to the airport ($25 cab ride) but there is nothing else nearby except for an outlet mall. Downtown Tempe is a $20 cab ride and it is a college town so it's mostly cheap bars and chain restaurants.

My conference sessions ended at 12:30pm. Regular checkout is at 11 am. I asked for an extension to check out at 1 pm and was told that I would have to pay for half a day extra, just for the two hours.

Room Tip: Mountain view suites are comfortable but pretty far from everything else. Villas are right by the wa...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank gem0607

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband attended a conference at this hotel, and I was able to go with him. The hotel is older and, to meet the expectations it sets on its website, it needs a major overhaul. That said, if you can live with a worn-in feel, the Arizona Grand is fine.

Room -
The room was clean and very nice. There is no refrigerator, just the in-room snack bar. We used the TV cabinet in the living room as a pantry for our snacks. The decor was nice, and it was great to have a suite where I could relax and watch TV for a bit in a living room rather than from a bed (though that was an option as well). The bathroom is small, but the water pressure in the shower was great. The bed was comfortable and we were quite pleased with everything.

Pools -
The water park was closed for the winter, but there were six pools open on the property, and I think each also had a hot tub. The pool was clean and I used it every day I was there. It's not heated - why would it be in Phoenix? - so it certainly gets your blood flowing when you first get in. But it's not frigid. Some of the cushions on the lounge chairs were stained from bird droppings, so replacing the cushions would really help give the pool area a nicer feel. And a lot of the towels in the pool area were old and faded. Replacing those would help too. Just some minor changes in this case could make a big impact on the perception of the pool area.

Spa and Gym-
The spa and gym are AWESOME! The gym has several classes daily and lots of cardio machines and weights. It's an actual community gym with local members, and you get to use it for free when you stay in the resort. The ladies' locker room has a whirlpool, steam room, showers, and an area to style your hair (complete with hair dryers, styling mousse and hairspray). Bring your bathing suit if you want to use the whirlpool, though. There's a sign letting you know they monitor the area with cameras. The gym also has an adult pool outside with a hot tub.

I got the Happy Trails package at the spa and started to get nervous about spending so much money ($316). I was worried that there would be no way the spa could meet the expectations such a high price tag sets. Well, no reason to worry, the entire experience was great! The massage, facial, manicure, and pedicure were all expertly done and very relaxing. This particular package includes a light lunch so you don't get too hungry after more than 3 hours in the spa. But any treatments there would be worth it. I also saw a mom in the salon getting a pedicure while her two daughters got "Pretty Princess" treatments. They got pedicures and a special hairstyle. The hairstyle included braiding, curling, and a little tiara. Any treatments at the spa/salon, though pricey, are great.

Activities -
I was impressed by how much there was to do in and around the property. There's the spa, the gym, the pools, and near the spa there's a trail that goes to an open space area with tons of great hikes. I thought I was going to be driving around Phoenix doing things while my husband was in the conference, but I ended up just enjoying the property and relaxing for three days. Very nice.

Complaints -
Only two, and pretty minor: 1) It's a daily charge per device for wi-fi, lots of less expensive places include free wi-fi, this resort should too. 2) Limited cable TV channels. I love HGTV, but it wasn't included in this hotel's TV listings.

Value -
I'm not sure what the various group rates and individual rates are, but if you pay around $200 a night to stay here, it's a great value. $300 is an appropriate charge, but I think paying anything more for this property might lead to disappointment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank AbqChica
PHiladelphia
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We loved this resort. From reading prior reviews we knew the water park would not be open but that was not an issue for us. We were their for a conference and the staff could not have been more helpful. We visited all three restaurants on Property and they were all very good. Food was nice atmosphere good and quite reasonably priced. We stayed at the villas and we had a balcony overlooking golf course but there were other suites that were bigger Would definitely recommend. For conferences and families.

Stayed November 2013
N. California
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed midweek for conference and appeared to be off-season as resort was very quiet. Rooms appear to have been recently redecorated and while grounds were very clean and well manicured, overall the resort is showing it's age and probably in need of some external updating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CL5309
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I love R&B and smooth jazz music and recently attended AZ Jazz festival. We decided to stay at the venue and booked the AZ Grand Resort and Spa. We were well taken care of immediately upon check in. We stayed in a suite in the camelback bldg. While the balcony looked out onto the parking lot, we were just 1 floor above the adult only pool - YES!! The pool and hot tub were wonderful. We stayed for 4 nights and used the pool twice. The layout of the room was perfect. Sitting area with a really comfy couch and chair. A table that converts to a desk area or dining area. The only downside was that there was no fridge or microwave in the room. The bedroom had a nice king sized bed and it was very comfy.

Our building was within walking distance to the actual venue. We would get a golf cart ride to the event and just walk to our room after. It allowed us to enjoy and indulge without a hassle. It was perfect!

In addition to enjoying the festivities, I booked myself for a couple of spa services: milk and lavender massage and a facial. The check in is a little awkward because you have to walk across the hall but once you are in the spa suite everything is beautiful. The relaxation room is very nicely laid out with conversational chaise lounges and there is a nice patio area with fountain. The room was well stocked with teas, fruit and nuts. Very comfortable. My technicians were just amazing and I truly enjoyed my services and time with each of them. I even took some time after my services to steam in the sauna and take a nice long shower! This is a great spot for a girlfriend get away and I will be arranging one in the very near future.

The restaurant was on point and I have to give a shout out to Stephanie our server, she was amazing and really made our restaurant experience special. We also took advantage of their outside spaces that were well appointed and very comfy. There were two fire pits outside and they were great for the cooler evenings.

We had a wonderful experience and we will definitely stay at the AZ Grand again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding the first weekend in November. Upon arrival, the fountain was beautiful and we proceeded to check in at the lobby where it only took a few minutes and we were guided to our rooms. The resort is pretty large, so it is not a bad idea to have a golf cart direct you to your exact location. The staff is very helpful at making sure you know where to go.
The room itself is a nice suite with living area and bedroom. The shower pressure is absolutely awesome. The beds are comfortable as well. The room was kept clean each day and we did not have any issues in our room.
The pool was nearby which we used one of the days. It had lounge chairs and towels for the guests. It was clean and water temperature was nice.
We ate breakfast at the resort twice and the menu is pretty expansive and food was delicious. Staff was friendly each day. Cost was kind of pricey but what you would expect to pay at a resort, so that was no surprise. You do get plenty of food with each order.
The wedding facilities were excellent and staff was very attentive and helpful. Food was delicious.
Checkout was quick and without issue.
Overall, I would stay here again and recommend this resort to others. Due to time constraints and a tight schedule, we did not visit much around the resort so I cannot comment on the nearby attractions or golf. Each staff member we came in contact with was excellent and great our entire stay. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed for a weekend event and although the room/suite was nice it had some challenges. Housekeeping came at 4:30 pm as we were preparing to go to our event. We had to either let them in to take care of things then or do without. Don't think that the refridgerator is to keep things cool, it is the just the room snack bar storage unit, there really is nothing to keep anything cold in and the ice machine down the hall didn't work. We were very lucky to have a weekend that topped out at 95. On the plus side you should take in the fire pit area at the main club house in the evening, that was pretty cool.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family