“Wonder Resort”

Ranked #30 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonder Resort”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is the fourth year we have gone to the Arizona Grand Resort for Spring Break. Once again it was wonderful. We absolutely love this place. It has a great waterpark for the kids and many pools if don't want the waterpark. The restaurants are also delicious. The rooms are very clean and the beds are very comfortable. We love the Arizona Grand and will return next year for Spring Break.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This resort had something for everyone in our multi-generational girls trip (grandma age 76, mom age 40 ish and daughter age 15) at spring break March 25, 2013. Compliments to the golf cart service that will take you anywhere on the resort at all times - the guys were superb and professional! The resort has pretty much thought of everything so you don't really have to leave the property. Shuttle to the outlet mall, short walk to grocery store - we got on well without a car for a 6 day stay. A good variety of restaurants and snack bars on resort property was perfect for our needs, good, friendly service, average food and large portions. The Spa was a wonderful expensive treat. The gym facility was fantastic!! Didn't even go to the water park as spring break line ups were long BUT two smaller pools near our room were perfect oasis of soaking up sun & relaxation. Beautiful fountains. Rooms were good size, beds comfortable, everything was clean and maid service good. Problems: 1) in room singe cup coffee maker made unsatisfactory and undrinkable coffee - this was inconvenient and 2) insufficient pool chairs for full capacity resort at Spring Break - need some system in place to manage to rotate use of chairs for everyone!! These were commonly heard complaints - especially due to the $40 per day resort fee. On the whole, a great resort and we would all love to return. It's a great place for families and for golfers.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Sedona building, our room faced the parking lot on ground floor and it was super quiet...
portland, OR
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Our family of 4 was there for our Spring Break vacation. Our room overlooked the entrance to the waterpark. I absolutely could not believe that people would start standing in line 2 hours before the park opens! Once in the chairs were all quickly taken. Luckily that whole scene isn't my cup of tea so we would just go in and out as we wanted one to two hours at a time. If we didn't have other activities to go to to entertain us (i.e. baseball games) I would have gone stir crazy at this resort. It would have been better for us if there had been some green space to hang with our friends that was convenient to the room.

The pull out bed that the kids had to sleep on was awful. My daughter described it well..."a sheet with springs on it".

Agree with others about the bird poop. We had plenty of it on the railing as there was a bird nest up in a crack above our deck so they were coming and going all the time....It was never cleaned up by housekeeping....

And lets not even talk about the line at the lobby shop to get a decent cup of coffee in the morning! We had heard that there was some changover in managment and they were not adequately staffed or knew how to order for the crowd. It was so annoying. And once you did grab your coffee and a snack it was SO expensive. I can't believe for the room price that they didn't have kiosk's of some sort set up to support each of the buildings? Yes they had in room coffee but it was awful and undrinkable in my opionion. Complimentary morning coffee would have been a nice gesture by the (overwhelmed) management.

We will come back to AZ but never again to this place!

Hebron, Palestinian Territories
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Current guests...just checked in. NOBODY showed us to our room (couldn't find it without help from guests), called for extra blanket and towel, and NOBODY showed up. After I waited an hour, I called and was told the housekeeping staff WENT HOME??? and that the bellman would have to find a key to get us the blankets (when he had a chance!). (and front desk person acted annoyed!?) Now it's near midnight in this supposed luxury resort, and we can't even sleep. BIZARRE I would have had a better experience at a Best Western. Now we are here for four days, and I am SO SORRY!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenny J
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Was at this hotel in April for a conference and then spent some time golfing and hanging out by the bar. Did not really have time to take advantage of any other amenities or the water park but the staff was really helpful and always willing to assist with any small request. I would definitely return. The rooms are tastefully decorated to a modern finish and have a balcony and 40" televisions. They forgot a soap bar, had a hair on a pillow, and found a hair pin the day I checked in. Other than that, the place was good. Not too far from Sky Harbor and a cab is around $18.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Denver
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was disappointed about this experience. I attended a conference at this resort and hoped for a better hotel experience. The conference was great and the failities to house them were well set up and laid out. However, my organization spent a lot of money for these accomodations. My room was not well cared for-not exactly dirty but musty. Leftover food in the the honor bar and lights that were burned out. The phone never worked, even after I resported it out. Outside my door were beer bottle caps and other small bits of trash. Other reviewers have said this but some of the staff were not very friendly. As I was arriving at the hotel, the bell hop greeted my cab. The driver was new and didn't know exactly what he was doing. The attendant wanted him to hurry; to board another family but the driver couldn't go any faster. I was soon the object of his impatience as I tried to ask a question and got a curt response. The athletic facility was great, the golf course beautiful. I was just hoping for more. Due to work (like every other American) I won't take much vacation this year and I hoped that I could experience this as a mini get away.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk much, choose a room close to the lobby. I was in the Mountain suites...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
duncan, bc
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to this Phoenix property with our 13 year old son. It has a great waterpark (check hours as they sometimes are limited). The staff in this area were attentive and certainly kept the area safe and clean. A fun time. The hotel it self (we stayed in camelback) was clean although pillows were worn and poor. Hotel staff on eve of April 06 were very rude when we called to ask why they were 1/2 hours late to pick us up for a dinner reservation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family