“Relaxation in the dessert”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at the Arizona Grand Resort & Spa for business from March 4th-8th. I had a wonderful stay. From the moment I arrived, i was warmly greeted and throughout my stay my expectations were exceeded. I would highly recommend this resort for both business and pleasure. Special mention and recognition to duty manager Mason McIntyre and his staff for going the extra mile with their friendliness and making my stay memorable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Layth G

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed there last week and were impressed by the clean and spacious room we had overlooking the 1st Tee. It was a short walk from there to the lobby, bar, restaurant etc. And we walked it many times. The golf course, while nice is a little weird. it's really like 2 courses, the front nine is your typical resort ( wide open ) desert course, while the back nine is more hilly and target golf. There are better deals in the area. The main dining areas are nice and the bar was always hopping from happy hour on. It's not a bad ride to the Old Town area, airport and Tempe.
The 'resort fee' while annoying does come with some privileges you'd have to buy separately. I would give it 1 more star if there was an elevator to our room. We did have to lug the suitcases up and down. Not a huge deal just somewhat annoying.
On a side note my wife lost her brand new iPhone5, but when we dialed her number 20 minutes later the front desk answered and we had it handed back to us. Honesty still exists!!

1  Thank wstphl
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Watphl,

I am glad to see that you found our resort and your suite to be perfectly situated for your needs. I understand how carrying your luggage upstairs can be frustrating. There are at least one elevators in each of our buildings and our bellman are always available to make things easier on our guests. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Arizona Grand Resort & Spa again.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here Feb 28 - March 3, 2013 to come down for Cubs Spring Training and we were very pleased with our choice of hotel. There were four of us, including two teen boys, and we were offered an upgrade upon check-in to the King suite overlooking the water park on the fifth floor.
The suite seemed to be recently renovated and was the perfect layout for us to have privacy in the king bedroom and the boys in the living/dining area. The dining table was perfect for them to spread out all of their balls and other autographed items and they had their own TV and a pull out couch bed.
We could shut the door to our room and have privacy, but the bathroom was enclosed in our part of the suite so total privacy was out of the question since the boys had to have access to our room. That would be my only change - have bathroom access out in the other part of the suite.
The waterpark was pretty empty for our stay and all of the staff was very nice. We used the fitness center which was more than ample, and again, empty in the early morning.
The golf course was breathtaking and the South Mountain Preserve was easily accessed and great for hiking, biking and jogging.
The only downside to our trip was that the cleaning staff left our door ajar one day and we called to let the front desk know and they very willingly offered to remove our resort fee for every day of our stay. I was satisfied with that!
The resort is very well located for Cubs Spring Training, not far from Mesa, Tempe and Scottsdale. We will stay here again next year!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the king suite... ask for a room in the Camelback suites if you want to be close to the w...
1  Thank Tina S

Dear Tina,

Wow, it looks like your family had a very successful Spring Training visit! For a future stay I would consider staying in a one or two bedroom Villas, where guests would have access to the bathroom through the master bedroom or through the living room. We are looking forward to welcoming your family back again next year!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Spotless rooms, and grounds, large sitting room separate from bedroom and bath. Huge closets and clean spacious drawers. The grounds are gorgeous, the water park was awesome (my ten year old). Wi Fi was great. The only two downsides which are nits, were that is it is a long walk to the dining facilities from some buildings. I know they will send a golf cart for you, but I'd rather be on my own. The other issue was the TV remotes are extremely frustrating! (petty I know!)

4  Thank Mom2OneBoston

Dear Mom2One,

It is great to see that you had such an enjoyable experience and were impressed with the resort grounds and service of our staff. I understand that you may want to feel independent during your stay and be able to walk a short distance to the resort amenities. I would suggest discussing your preferences with our reservation specialists before you next stay to find the perfect location and room type for your needs. I look forward to welcoming you back family back again.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed at Arizona Grand Hotel for 1 week. it is located in a strategic area of the city. The service was great! excellent customer skills of each of the team members of this hotel. I am very pleased. the place is beautiful very relaxing! The room is very beautiful and the bed confortable.
Thank you for making my business trip a great experience!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Juan A

Dear Juan,

You’re welcome! We know that work can be enjoyable, and fun and are happy to see that you enjoyed your time at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa during your recent business trip. I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Attended a conference here 18-24 Feb and found the whole resort really welcoming and friendly. The setting around the old 18th green of the course is very peaceful from the warming fire-pits (take care that you don't get burned through your trousers as you don't feel it when the wind blows the heat your way) to the relaxed lobby and hotel surroundings. The suites are lovely, more than ample in size and there was enough space for the week to fly by. We were in Mountainside and one view was out onto the 2nd and 3rd holes of the golf course; the balcony view at the rear was over the centre of the resort, the 1st fairway and Phoenix in the distance. Conference staff and facilities were excellent, the team in the Business Centre were especially helpful in arranging couriered pieces back to Missouri. The food at the Hotel restaurant was a choice of buffet at $20pp or off the menu. Comparing it to a large eat-a-lot at Denny's over the highway, you'd pay only a couple of dollars to stay in the lovely surroundings of the Hotel.
Golf course is very good fun, weaving out through the desert and the condos around the estate. Off the back tees it's a par 71 at 6288 yds and the game is all about position. Fairways were good, greens were very fast for this time of year and the tees in the back 9 were less green than the front nine. Two rounds were (on included buggy) 4.5 and 5 hrs respectively... it seems that getting off the green quickly doesn't rate highly in some players minds, especially when the sun is going down and you are still on 15. The yardages on some holes are a bit suspect off the tee so just check carefully or trust your gps.
Final tip... the Rustler's Rooste... If you are walking to it, stick to the cart path on the golf course that doesn't cut through the fairways as the sprinklers come on at night!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MBothwell

Dear M. Bothwell,

Thank you for sharing your helpful tips with fellow travelers and golfers. (golf tip, or favorite part of the course). I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and on the course.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here for several days for a business conference. While the staff is friendly and the rooms are a nice size, the property has the general feel of "seen better days." It has not been maintained as well as it could have been. The tan carpet in the room had large black stains on it. Furnishings were extremely dated.

The staff had an accommodating attitude, but service was inept. Upon arrival and check in I was brought by golf cart to my room on this expansive property. Once there, I discovered that my key card did not work. I had to wait almost a half hour outside of my room for someone to come and let me in. Another day I had lunch in the restaurant and we waited almost an hour for our meals and when they finally came they were wrong. At least they comped us lunch. The next day housekeeping "forgot" to clean my room, and I had to call them to remind them to come. The list goes on and on. Other than breakfast, which I enjoyed, food was adequate-- there are a variety of restaurants on premises, but none of them very good.

The facilities were nice for a business conference, however. There were several conferences going on at the same time, but we never felt mobbed by conference attendees as you do in some hotels. There are pleasant hiking trails on and near the property. The golf course looked nice.

With some renovation and better trained staff, this resort would be greatly improved. As it is, it's OK for a business event, but if I had been here on vacation and spending my own money, I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends