“Beautiful oasis”

Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Mount Dora, Florida
“Beautiful oasis”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed here for three nights while attending a conference on the property. My husband and I stayed in the Mountainside section. Checking in was a breeze and we were directed to follow the golf cart to our room. The bellhop was informative and polite and when finished turned to leave not hesitating for a moment, as if not expecting a tip. I did tip him but appreciated him not having the expectation to be tipped. He did make a point of saying we could remove items in the honor bar and replace them with our own items that needed to be refrigerated.

Every thing about the room was superb. Comfortable beds, pillows and linens. It had a separate area with couch and table/desk with chairs. Beautifully decorated and clean. We had a lovely balcony with seating overlooking the golf course.

We were given a map of the sprawling resort that did not give instruction how to get from point A to B. The bellhop had mentioned we could call for a golf cart anytime we needed a ride. I called the operator and general services several times without answer. Curious, since instructions say to call the operator for an emergency. My husband drove me over to the conference facility the first day since I didn't know where I was going. This facility was great in every aspect. Breakfast and lunch were catered by the hotel and the food was delicious. Appreciated the china, stemmed glassware, cloth napkins. Starbucks coffee was abundant. So much nicer than most conferences I've attended. We were able to take our food to tables set up in the back of the exhibit hall or outside where there were adequate places to sit. The seating area was a beautiful outdoor area with lit gas fireplaces with cushioned seating around the fire. The landscaping was beautiful as well as the weather. I highly recommend this facility for conferences.

Finding my way back to our room was a bit of a challenge. The first time I walked along the path in the back. There was a large water park that was closed, apparently for the season. It was beautifully maintained by workers busily working. All very pleasant with cheery hellos as I passed by. The walkway ended at the golf course and I walked to my room via the cart path. I later found it was closer to walk to the conference room through the parking lots. All in all I enjoyed the walks.

I didn't play golf or use the many pools but they all looked good. I didn't eat at the restaurant but the menu looked similar to the food I ate at the meeting, which was very good. There were several restaurants in walking distance that appeared to be off the property. I wouldn't have been comfortable walking there by myself.

There wasn't much to criticize. Our room was at the end of the building. Twice I awoke to people climbing the stairs and talking in the wee hours of the morning. The housekeepers were quite aggressive when they were ready to count the honor bar or clean the room. They would knock once and just barge in, not giving me time to get to the door. I made sure the latch was on so I wouldn't be embarrasses if I was dressing or using the blow dryer and didn't hear their one knock.

3 Thank bnanas1
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear bnanas,

Thank you for your wonderful four star rating! I am happy to hear that you had a great check-in experience and were impressed with your suite and its view. I am sorry to hear that you didn’t get a chance to experience Aunt Chilada’s or Rustler’s Rooste, our two free-standing restaurants on property as most guests find their locations are easily accessible. Your feedback on our resort maps and signage is very helpful as we continually strive to improve the overall experience for our guests. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Paul Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Arizona Grand Resort is located off Hwy 10 just minutes from the Phoenix airport and close to all the freeways. Rooms and villas are nestled around a golf course with the most gorgeous green grass I’ve even seen. I’m not a golfer, but I did enjoy the numerous water features blocking out freeway noise. The fountains provide a sense of serenity to the facility. For $165 we had a second floor villa room with comfortable king bed, large balcony overlooking the first hole with the sounds and sights of the fountains in the background. The room had a small bar with microwave and refrigerator (stocked, so we had to empty it to put our items in it) and a bathroom with two sinks and a shower/tub. Although everything was very clean, we did experience cockroaches who had decided to breed in our wine glass. We would suggest that they eliminate the silk and plastic plants in the room as they are just dust collectors.

The heated pool and hot tub we used were very enjoyable. The spa is not up to the quality of a first class resort. The shower area and steam room smelled musty and the massage was good, but not great! Didn't have that WOW! feeling. There is a whirlpool in the women’s locker room with a monitored video camera. Not sure if they’ve had problems, but it didn’t entice me to use the facility. From noon to 8pm the lounge features half off a selected number of munchies and draft beers. We were able to order and sit out by the fire pits.

The resort is huge with ballrooms, conference areas, and a beautiful palm lined paseo where the cocktail hour for a wedding was held. While we were here, three separate weddings were celebrated in the ballrooms without it feeling crowded. The nightscaping lights are lovely throughout the property.

The one complaint we had is the $25.00 resort fee. It includes access to the fitness center, internet, and a newspaper. I am of the firm belief that internet needs to be included in the room fee and for that matter, so should the fitness center. People who want a paper can pay the extra couple of dollars but resort fees are an irritant. At this resort there is a water park through Oct. 31 with an additional fee.

Nevertheless, we enjoyed ourselves very much and give it 3.5 STARS for comfort, price, and convenience.

Room Tip: You want to be on a second floor or higher because they have balconies. Evidently cock roaches are m...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank StarLady99
Dear Star Lady,

I am glad to see that your stay was enjoyable and you were pleased with your Villa suite and its gorgeous golf course views. It is great to hear that it never felt crowded on property while we hosted multiple private events and they didn’t interfere with your enjoyment of the resort. I appreciate your evaluation of our spa as we are always looking for new ways to enhance our guest experience. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

BOIS IDAHO
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The phoenix grand is a wonderful place to stay very clean and comfortable. If you like to golf its an awesome golf course. There some great hiking trails right on the property. The dinning area is very convienent and the food is very good.

Room Tip: get the room with the bath and a half.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GREG J
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Greg,

Thank you for the terrific five star review! You made a great choice in exploring the great hiking trails of our awe-inspiring neighbor, South Mountain Preserve. You’ll understand why National Geographic magazine recently named it among the top urban hiking destinations in the entire nation. We are thrilled that you loved your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 9, 2012

When I arrived, I was elated to stay at another luxury resort. It has the makings of one. The golf greens are beautiful, the facility is expansive and everything looks opulent. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that the rooms, the dining experience or conference area was anything other than "average." My room is comfortable, well appointed but not like a 5-star resort. I paid $20 for lunch which consisted of a ham sandwich, chips/macaroni salad and a brownie w/tea at the buffet, and $50 for a steak dinner with potatoes, asparagus and tea thru room service. I'm glad I'm not staying too long because things can get expensive here and you need to be prepared to walk a bit and find your way through this maze to get anywhere. I've enjoyed my stay but wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you're seeking a high-end resort experience beyond the golfing (which I don't play).

3 Thank sbthomas00
Dear SB,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience at Arizona Grand. I’m pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and found our beautiful resort grounds to your liking. I regret that our pricing caused you some distress, and would invite fellow travelers to view our restaurant menus online in advance to confirm budget compatibility. We strive to make our guests feel relaxed and welcome at our resort, and hope that you enjoyed that same experience. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Arizona Grand Resort & Spa so you may experience our other award-winning amenities including Oasis Water Park and Arizona Grand Spa.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding that was on the grounds of the complex. I thought it was a great stay. The rooms were extremely clean, the staff was always helpful, and the bed may have been one of the best I've slept on. We were here during November, which is not their peak season. In fact, I heard they were under 50% capacity. This helped in the price for the room, but it also had them close the waterpark the whole time we were there. But there are still a number of pools to choose from. The Spa and Athletic facility is very nice. I haven't stayed at a resort before, but I was surprised to find out we had to pay extra for access to the athletic facility. It was included in part of the "resort fees." I would recommend staying here if you can get the price at a reasonable rate. I really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Grunter,

I am pleased to see that you both enjoyed your recent stay and would recommend Arizona Grand Resort & Spa to others. Oasis Water Park closes for the winter season in November and reopens in February, however we do offer six heated resort pools available to guests all year long. We take pride in our Grand Dream Sleeper pillow-top mattresses, I am glad that you had such a great night’s rest. I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort again.

Best regards

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at the Arizona Grand for 3 nights for a conference. The grounds around the resort are beautiful with several beautiful areas to sit outside. I particularly enjoyed the palm-tree lined walkway near the conference center that had several sitting areas next to various fire places. My two room suite was comfortable although it seemed a bit dated. Bathroom had one sink outside the toilet/ shower area, but there was another sink in the other room by the mini bar area. The beds were comfy with duvets. I found the food options quite limited. Ate dinner in the hotel the first night and was disappointed with the limited menu and soggy fries. I had to return my white sangria as it just didn't taste right. The server was friendly and immediately removed it from my bill. I enjoyed my morning Starbucks. The spa was somewhat disappointing. Not much in the way of spa facilities. I had a pedicure on the first day and found the nail tech to be gruff and impersonal. The next day, I checked in for a lavender milk massage and signed the confirmation for this service. About 15 minutes into it, I realized I didn't smell lavender and asked the therapist. She stopped and asked if that was the service I requested. She apologized and immediately switched over. She did not make any further comment about it except that they were very busy. I mentioned it to the front desk when I checked out and they immediately charged me only for the basic massage, which I appreciated.

I loved the pools in the courtyards of each building. I enjoyed some peaceful time there including some hot tub time. There is a phone to call for drinks or snacks, but I did not use this. The water park was closed for the season but looked quite nice with a long lazy river.

Upon checkout, the front desk staff was incredibly helpful in splitting the bill for me and my roommate so we could have separate receipts for business reimbursement.

I would return with my family if there was a wonderful promotion but otherwise would probably try a different resort property in the area.

Room Tip: Camelback building was very convenient to conference center and main building.
1 Thank hkshelton
Dear HK,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful four star rating! It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with the resort grounds. I sincerely apologize for the confusion you experienced at the Arizona Grand Spa, and am glad the staff was able to quickly rectify the error. Please be sure to follow us on Facebook and sign up for special email offers through our website to receive our best promotions before they are released to the general public. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome your family back to Arizona Grand Resort & Spa.

Hastings, MN
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a nice stay in a large, two-room suite that was very clean. Only real gripe was the price of mini-bar water and pop and fact that hotel is a Pepsi place and I'm a Coke person. Would stay again. Very spread out so walking is part of the experience. Having a car was great for dining off site.

Dear Kevin,

I am happy to see that you were pleased with your suite during your recent business trip. Next time if you decide not to rent a vehicle, please keep in mind that we offer a complimentary shuttle to Arizona Mills Mall where there are dozens of dining options including Joe’s Crab Shack, Garcia’s Mexican Food, Rainforest Café, Claim Jumper and Johnny Rockets. I look forward to welcoming you back to Arizona Grand Resort & Spa.